SASS Wire Forum

I shot my first match yesterday

Whiskey Business

Hi everyone! I just shot my first match yesterday with the River Bend Rough Riders in north Georgia. What a fun bunch. Everyone in Posse 1 offered great help and support, and thanks to Done Gone for walking me through most of the match. And Lyle McDigger had the perfect compliments after the last stage about my good safety habits and gun handling. I had a great time, didn't shoot as well as I hoped (18 misses on six stages). Still, I consider it a success since I didn't shoot anyone and had no safety violations. I even shot one clean stage.

Thanks to all the patience and coaching from my husband Bucky Buscadero. He took me out to the range to shoot his Peacemakers last summer and I was hooked. Since then, he's worked with me a lot, so that the worst I can say is I had 18 misses.

My equipment: a Marlin 94 carbine in .357, a pair of Taurus SAA's also .357 and a Stoeger SxS. (I even remembered about the 2 triggers every time on the shotgun targets.) Also, I have a beautiful custom rig from Doc Disaster that matches my silver and black pistols.

I'm looking forward to the next match.

Welcome to the fire Whiskey Business. Sounds like you have some rite nice firearms, n' that's fer sure n' fer certin.

Ricochet Roy

One of the smartest things you ever done! Where else could you meet

all those nice folks? It's just a bunch of fun and you get to be

a kid again! Welcome to the fire pard.

Quick Draw Grandpaw 48525 :)

Hi everyone! I just shot my first match yesterday with the River Bend Rough Riders in north Georgia. What a fun bunch.

<SNIP>

Welcome to the fire - and with a name like that you're gonna fit in here like you couldn't imagine!

Too bad you're so far away that we here in the real west can't get to shoot with ya - someday you

and the Mr. gotta pack a wagon and head out to the west . . .till then - keep doing what your

doing - it sounds great!

Ride safe -

Shadow Catcher

Y'all know how to make one feel welcome. I'm guessing whiskey is popular with this crowd. Who is sippin a glass of Bullit or Buffalo Trace right now?

And Shadow, thanks for the invite. I would one day like to get out west. I've never been as far north as the Pacific North Wet before!

To all: I was on Whiskey's posse Saturday, and you could not have taken the smile off her face with a crowbar! Well done, kiddo (and it will get better). At least you didn't drop your pistol (like some else who shall remain nameless did). :rolleyes:

BTW, your alias is a hoot!

Sounds as though you had a GREAT TIME.

That's all that matters.

Getting the first match under your belt is the icebreaker.

You'll just get more comfortable and better as you shoot more matches.

I just started last year and can not get enough of it.

Run! Save yourself while there's still time! :D

Seriously, welcome to some of the most fun one can have with your clothes on!

I had a great time, didn't shoot as well as I hoped...

At their first match, nobody does Ma'am. Nobody. :lol:

Hey Cowgirl!

It sounds like you did well to me. I missed 44 on five stages at my first match and it took me eight months to clean a stage. So, far I've not seen a newbie shoot that poorly. Besides, you did well where it counted, safety. I thought they'd renamed me "action open" after my first match. ;):blush:

I'm so glad to hear you had fun and look forward to next time.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Y'all know how to make one feel welcome. I'm guessing whiskey is popular with this crowd. Who is sippin a glass of Bullit or Buffalo Trace right now?

And Shadow, thanks for the invite. I would one day like to get out west. I've never been as far north as the Pacific North Wet before!

Not at the moment, but I will somewhere down the road (and raise a glass to your success)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway (who has finally put the memory of his first match behind him) Kid :)

It won't be a chore to practice. There are several clubs within an hour’s drive of Atlanta. I can shoot a match any weekend of the month!

Yep, just as soon as you start spending more time with me at the reloading bench! :rolleyes:

:wub:

BB

At their first match, nobody does Ma'am. Nobody. :lol:

I don't know about old Utah Bob, but I did not shoot as well as I would have liked at my LAST match either :lol:

Welcome to the fire Whiskey Business, and the fact you shooting with your hubby makes it even more fun.....first time you beat him, let us know :D .......another way to look at the 18 misses, if you shot 6 stages, and all have 10 pistol,10 rifle, and 4+ shotgun, then you had 126 hits :FlagAm: it is all in your perspective :D

Again, welcome

I joined SASS last October and had I shot a practice stage here and there but not a full match. Between life and working over some of my guns like my SXS & 92 (92 did not like 38's out of the box)...my kart is sitting in a pile of uncut wood in the garage..I just did not have time to make it to my first match ...Well two weeks ago Allie Mo told me that not having my kart finish is no excuse not to come shoot the Outlaw match last Saturday because she had room in her kart for my guns...I had to agree with her and I really needed some me time.

I started out a bundle of nerves and my day went like this.. First I put my back up little trapper 94 in Allie's kart and not my 92 that I wanted to shoot and did not realize this until it was my turn to load for the first stage...It was probably a good thing that I shot my 94 because I have been shooting it for close to 10 years now and I knew I would run and I had not shot the 92 sences I put it back together. I really did not need the stress of... would it or would it not run for 6 stages.

I was already was wondering about my SXS because I had just put it back together and had no back up for it if it failed...it is a Stoeger that is around 10-15 years old my Dad had it and had never shot or cleaned it..He bought from a guy who needed the money put in in his safe and forgot about it. The gun had never had the shipping oils cleaned out of it and was gummed up real bad when I first got it. I had done a quick cleaning shot a few rounds through it and knew I had to take it completely apart. I had just put it back together and the match was the first time I had shot it after putting back together...I had decided to shoot a pair of my new hand guns.. one I had only shot a little and the other I had never fired...Life was good in the gun department...They all ran just fine.

I bumbled and fumbled in the high 70's with 2 or 3 misses and a P in the first stage...2an stage I was still all thumbs more misses and another P... I think I dropped to the 60's...3rd stage started with a P ended with misses but I was close to the 50's...Sackett who was keeping time told me as I was picking up my guns that I would get faster if I would open the SXS first before I tried to load it...I had started to calm down by the forth and I tried opening thing with the SXS and you know something Sackett was right it does work better that way...I think I made it out of this stage without a P and maybe only 2 misses...By the 5th stage I felt I was getting into the swing of things ...The stage was shooters choice as to what gun to shoot first... So I picked up my old 94 because I never miss with my 94....My very first shot ...A missed and I herd someone hallor in the back...YOU CAN USE YOUR SITES!!!!...It was all I could do to stop myself from laughing...Times getting better...6th stage life was good shot it clean in the 40's and was wishing we could shoot 6 more.

Don't sweat the misses. There is so much going through your mind during the first match, that there is no time to think about the actual shooting part. At least, that was the case for my first match.

Like you said, you had a great time and didn't shoot anybody. What else do you need? :)

Hi everyone! I just shot my first match yesterday with the River Bend Rough Riders in north Georgia. What a fun bunch. Everyone in Posse 1 offered great help and support, and thanks to Done Gone for walking me through most of the match. And Lyle McDigger had the perfect compliments after the last stage about my good safety habits and gun handling. I had a great time, didn't shoot as well as I hoped (18 misses on six stages). Still, I consider it a success since I didn't shoot anyone and had no safety violations. I even shot one clean stage.

Thanks to all the patience and coaching from my husband Bucky Buscadero. He took me out to the range to shoot his Peacemakers last summer and I was hooked. Since then, he's worked with me a lot, so that the worst I can say is I had 18 misses.

My equipment: a Marlin 94 carbine in .357, a pair of Taurus SAA's also .357 and a Stoeger SxS. (I even remembered about the 2 triggers every time on the shotgun targets.) Also, I have a beautiful custom rig from Doc Disaster that matches my silver and black pistols.

To be sportsman like I always blame either the spotters, my equipment, or weather conditions for each miss, i.e., "you're all blind" or "stupid gun" or "It's hot". :P

Spittoon

Welcome Whisky....Good report mam' and sounds like you are off to a good start.

Also hope you are signing up for the Georgia State Shoot right there at your home range in May. If so, I'll look forward to meeting you. By then, you will be hitting all steel.

We'll have a contingent of Florida shooters up there in May...Keep shooting, little lady.

Johnny :blush:

Welcome Whisky....Good report mam' and sounds like you are off to a good start.

Also hope you are signing up for the Georgia State Shoot right there at your home range in May. If so, I'll look forward to meeting you. By then, you will be hitting all steel.

We'll have a contingent of Florida shooters up there in May...Keep shooting, little lady.

Johnny :blush:

Glad you enjoyed your first match!

I am getting anxious to get out for mine. Hopefully the weather will break soon. I got an invite to go to Piqua, Ohio, which is close by and shoot there from one of their members. I certainly hope to take him, and them, up on their hospitality. With my nerves of steel, I shouldn't have any problems.... Darn, I knew I couldn't say that with a straight face!

And any Georgia Peach should seriously consider Ambush! Cherokee Charlie might even have room on his Posse #1 for a pretty little lady and her hubby. Uncle Frank, the manager will make you so happy you came you won't want to go back home.

Yep! It sure is fun and it's sure to become addicting! :rolleyes:

It reminds me of a potato chip add.... :blush::mellow::unsure::blink::)

Happy trails and welcome!

QDG 48525 :FlagAm:

• 1 month later...

Archived