SASS Wire Forum

Why is one legal and one not

Pit Bull Tex

Want to ask a dumb one again. why is the win.1897 legal for sass and the marlin 1898 not?

'Cause the Wild Bunch says so. :FlagAm::PB)

Got four of them in my safe that are superior to any of my '97s save one.

One of them was my main match gun right up until the Mild Bunch made their despicable decision!

NEVER MIND!! It's Christmas and I ain't gonna' let this reminder ruin my holidays. ;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! to tex the judge hipshot wildshot coyote calhoun et al.

Want to ask a dumb one again. why is the win.1897 legal for sass and the marlin 1898 not?

I'm not familiar with a Marlin '98. Can you describe it?

Ghost

Did I do something wrong? The marlin 98 is a nicer gun then the 97 win.

Are we talking about that Marlin that even Marlin has said is NOT safe to shoot?????

That could be the very reason. If the people that made it says DON'T SHOOT IT.

Don't know how you could make it legal to use.

I know if my name was on SASS ownership it would be a big NO. You can not use it.

Think they started calling it the Widdowmaker. Because. Well. You get the picture.

Or have I got this mixed up with another gun????

Lets drag out the Dead Horse and whack it some more ! No Pit Bull Tex you didn't say anything wrong,if the Wire was search able going back five years or so you would have yourself about a weeks worth of reading on this subject. Adios Sgt. Jake

while the Marlin is within our time period and techniquely meets the requierments of our game it is a very weak action B) . several years ago (7-8) when there was a lot of people looking for guns to use in our sport "someone" blew one up and sued Marlin over it ;) . As a result Marlin issued a warning stating that the old pump gun was not safe to use :D SASS not wanting to have any part of a member getting hurt declaired the Marlin an outlawed gun. while I generally dont like it :P , IMHO SASS made the correct decision. :FlagAm:

Nah, PBT you didn't know. This is one of those "dead horses" that digs itself up once in a while. It is a very sore spot with some, including myself, and has a couple of other issues that are also "hot button subjects" closely related.

A "don't go there" is the best I can do.

while the Marlin is within our time period and techniquely meets the requierments of our game it is a very weak action B) . several years ago (7-8) when there was a lot of people looking for guns to use in our sport "someone" blew one up and sued Marlin over it ;) . As a result Marlin issued a warning stating that the old pump gun was not safe to use :D SASS not wasting to have any part of a member getting hurt declaired the Marlin an outlawed gun. while I generally dont like it :P , IMHO SASS made the correct decision. :FlagAm:

Marlin issued that warning in 1998 well before any "incidents" came to light. There are more incidents of bolts flying out of a 97 Winchester than for the Marlin. I used one for many years and still have one with a double digit serial number.

DD

It is just a nice gun, going to get one even if I can't shoot it in sass.What was unsafe about it?I have seen one 97come apart. I just like the looks of the marlin and I will play with it..Sorry I brought it up. NO I AM NOT.

PBT;

Can't answer your questions about the Marlin, but just as a heads up don't bring up the ' 93/ '97 issue either.

Go to Coyote Cap's web site for the explanation on that one.

Marshal Stone

WHAT D.D. said.

Do ya's think Winchester would stand behind a '97 if it blew up?? PSHAW!!

Check the warranty disclaimer on any S.A.S.S. legal gun and then decide for yourselves.

BTW, I've seen more blown up '97s than '98s, matter of fact I own AND shoot a '97 that blew all to h#ll! A good gunsmith and a certified welder put it back better than new. Proper maintainance and proper use are essential to the life expectancy and safety of any firearm.

I like the marlin better.

For what it is worth... Marlin use to take out full ads in many gun magazines... including the SASS Cowboy Chronicle... the Ads said: DO NOT SHOOT THESE GUNS. Marlin claimed that they were unsafe to use. There was no way that SASS was going to allow them after what the manufacturer had gone on record saying.

Same thing for the 93 Winchester shotgun.

Finally, the WB just put an end to all of it and Decreed that ONLY the 97 was allowed.

Snakebite

All I shoot is a S x S.Had a TTN and sent it to La. Have two hammerless S X S.

Marlin press release from 1999.

Marlin Issues Warning on Obsolete Shotguns

The age of these obsolete models is now 70 to 100 years. Unfortunately, Marlin has no records of manufacture such as materials, heat treatment procedures, or acceptance standards. This combination of age and unknown metallurgy and life history in a large percentage of these units has prompted the company to strongly recommend against these guns being fired.

Of major concern are failures in the firing system, but there is no clear cut failure mode or sequence of events leading to such failures.

Models;

1898, 16, 17, 19, 19S, 19G, 19N, 21, 24, 24G, 26, 30, 42, 49, 49N exposed hammer slide action shotguns.

28, 31, 43, 44, 53, 63 hammerless slide action shotguns.

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/marlin.html

Cut and paste this url and read it.

And yeah I've got a pair of '93s that I'd shoot if they'd let me.

I guess I like to try and ride a dead horse. I brought up Henry when I first got on here and was told I must work for Henry because I said out of the box it was smoother than any gun I had felt.So getting jumped on dont bother me.I think that the marlin is a nice gun.

I had a National Firearms , copy of the Marlin, blow the bolt, luckily it canted in the receiver and locked up instead of blowing a quarter size hole in my forehead.

It is stuck in the closet now and is destined to become a floor lamp...............

As other's have alluded too, this is a topic that comes up every so often.

And it is one that I still find facinating.

Here's the offical line...

The Marlin 98 and Winchester 93 are deemed to be "unsafe" guns, and so they are not allowed. The reasons as to WHY they are deemed unsafe are elsewhere related, so I won't go into them.

Soon after these two guns were declared unsafe, it was also declared that the Win 97 was the ONLY slide action shotgun that is allowed. As such, this means that the 93/97, a modern gun that looks like a 93, but has addressed the safety concerns, is not allowed. It also means that several other old time slide action shotguns that existed in the period, are not allowed.

Neither originals, nor reproductions of anything, other than the 97, is allowed for a slide action shotgun.

That's the rule.

Personally, I don't agree with it. I accept it, but I don't agree with it. There are rifles and pistols that did not exist in the old west that are made in the "style" of the time that are legal, but for some reason, the notion of replica of various old time repeating shotguns (to say nothing of a totally new gun in the style) is anathama to the powers that be. I see a disconnect here. Even if we assume that, for example, the Marlin 98 and Win 93 ARE unsafe, (which I am inclined to believe, but there are many who will say otherwise) I see no reason why modern reproductions that corrects the saftey concernes should not be allowed. I see no reason why the Spencer pump shotgun, or a couple of other interesting old repreating shotguns should not be allowed. But the reality is that they are not, and it is very unlikely that this will ever change.

PBT, if you do acquire a Marlin hammer shotgun, make sure you read the article I posted the link to in post #24. Rusty Marlin has gone to great lengths to explain and detail the quirks and pitfalls of these venerable old guns. Go through this article and do the diligence on any of these old guns. Then every time you pull that shotgun out to shoot, go through the safety checks!!

I had a 87 Winchester blow up on me. Not that I would, but who the heck would you even sue at this point? Someone in Japan, Turkey, US? Are they even a Company? Or just a copy written name? Oh well, just curious

hud

Howdy Pit Bull! You didn't do anything wrong. The Marlin is a dandy looking gun, but has a reputation as a widowmaker. As I recall, it's the Model 19.

Due to the design of the action, it is possible to have an out-of-battery-discharge before the internal safety lugs are fully engaged. If this happens, the bolt can blast back out of the receiver and into the shooter's head. This will most likely result in a serious if not fatal injury. This would not be good.

Even though Marlin was supposed to have corrected this problem in its later models, once you give a dog a bad name it sticks with it for life. Therefore the decision was made to ban Marlin shotguns and not take a chance on any of their pumpers.

I guess I like to try and ride a dead horse. I brought up Henry when I first got on here and was told I must work for Henry because I said out of the box it was smoother than any gun I had felt.So getting jumped on dont bother me.I think that the marlin is a nice gun.

I mean this in a good way........YIKES! Sure you can muscle yer way through with one.......but why you would want to is another question. Feel a "good" one and video your reaction then post it here for us all to enjoy.

I dont shoot a Henry, I shoot a slicked 92 by Nate. I just pick up a Henry and it was smoother that the stock 73 that I picked up or the stock 92 I picked up.

Archived