SASS Wire Forum

TOP 10 AUTOS

Here is noted automotive journalist, Malcolm Gunns, list of the top 10 vehicles ever produced.

As one of my cars was listed as number '8', I really can't complain. But in the back of my mind, I can think of a couple of other cars that should be on the list.

MALCOLM GUNNS TOP 10 VEHICLES

Anybody else have a worthy contender?

Tull

Professor,

Thanks for posting this very well thought out list.

And seeing that it was from an Avanti website, it is not too surprising that an Avanti was listed.

Still, after spending the last 30 minutes going thru the rest of the website, I find myself lusting after one of the later (2000+) versions.

By the way, would yours be the 2nd car down in the 70's Avanti II registry?

??????

You kinda threw me on your topic. When I read "Top 10 Autos," I was thinking more along the lines of:

Thompson Sub-machine gun

Maxim

FG42

M60

MP5

M2

M249 SAW

(not listed in any particular order)

:blush:

There are some other cars I might have included, but I have no real problem with any of the cars on the list. I'm especially glad he included the Ferrari Lusso. I owned one in the 60's and always thought it was the best looking of the front engined V12s.

Some of the early Cadillacs were shipped to England where the Royal Automobile Club dismantled three of them down to the last bolt. They mixed the parts of the three up and re-assembled the cars. This proved Cadillac's claim of standardization and proved their motto of Standard Of The World.

I might have included the Lotus Elite. This was the first production car to utilize a monocoque chassis. Many modern cars use this technique but Lotus was the first.

Another worthy entry is the Jaguar XK-120, if only for the engine. Variations of this engine, from 2.4 to 4.2 liters were in use for the next 50 years.

General Motors deserved mention if only for the aluminum V-8 engines used in the Buick-Oldmobile-Pontiac compact cars of the early 60s. While GM gave up on it, as they've done with many good ideas, other manufactures in Europe and elsewhere used the engine with great success. Among them was Jack Brabham, who used the engine in his world-championship winning Brabham Formula 1 cars.

And don't forget NSU, who pioneered the use of the Wankel rotary engine. Still used in the Mazda RX-8.

I guess Top 10 lists are like noses. Everybody has one.

Here is noted automotive journalist, Malcolm Gunns, list of the top 10 vehicles ever produced.

As one of my cars was listed as number '8', I really can't complain. But in the back of my mind, I can think of a couple of other cars that should be on the list.

MALCOLM GUNNS TOP 10 VEHICLES

Anybody else have a worthy contender?

Tull

Cobra... I loved those cars..

You kinda threw me on your topic. When I read "Top 10 Autos," I was thinking more along the lines of:

Thompson Sub-machine gun

Maxim

FG42

M60

MP5

M2

M249 SAW

:blush:

Malcolm Vehicle's Top Ten (auto) Guns would include the M-2 carbine an the M-2 heavy machine gun, any model of Tommy gun, and the MP-40.

Guest Copper Mart

Owned two of them. Drove three more a time or two. And, a 37 Cord 812 Beverly was my first ride at over 100mph, but I never got to drive it. Most impressive was the Ferrari. Something about the sound of those 12 cylinders as you wound it up through the gears on the Autostrada. I swear you could hear each individual rotating part. If I win the lottery, I'm going to get a 1956 Healy LeMans. Had one when I was young, but when I got married I could afford her or the car. I didn't regret the choice, but I never forgot that exhaust note. The Jag 120 was also great, but a 14 quart sump with consumption of a quart every 500 miles was a bit much. Then there was the transmission.... You had to have ape arms to manage the throw. As has been said, lots of great machines out there. I could cheerfully own a dozen or more.

Mart...

Professor,

Thanks for posting this very well thought out list.

And seeing that it was from an Avanti website, it is not too surprising that an Avanti was listed.

Still, after spending the last 30 minutes going thru the rest of the website, I find myself lusting after one of the later (2000+) versions.

By the way, would yours be the 2nd car down in the 70's Avanti II registry?

??????

Doc???

You got it sir.

Since you found the 'registry', check out the 2001-2007 AVX's - one of the 2 pictured will be going on sale after the first of the year. Drop me a p.m. and I will get you in touch with the owner if you are interested.

40Rod

You forgot Model 712 Mauser Schnellfeuers - with 40 round mag.

Tull

Thompson Sub-machine gun

Maxim

FG42

M60

MP5

M2

M249 SAW

:FlagAm:

Me too!!! What a bunch of gun nuts!

1. Colt 1911

2. Springfield 1911

3. Remington 1911

4. Kimber 1911

5. S&W 1911

6. Rock Island 1911

7. ATI 1911

8. Para 1911

9. Taurus 1911

10. any other 1911

My Dad had a '50 Ford, flat head, three speed with over drive. Mom still complained about that one years after it was gone. Guess Dad had a lead foot at one time. :FlagAm:

As far as the Mustang's go, I've had five over the years between me and Susie. '65( my first car), '66, '67, '68, and our current one a 2005..........Buck :blink:

I've had two on the list - a '62 VW Bug and the Mustang. Actually, I've owned thirteen Mustangs at one time or another - twelve '65's or '66's and one '68.

That's a pretty good list, I must say.

While you could make an argument for the pickup - bumping, probably, the Avanti - I can find little fault with it.

Although I WAS expecting to see: 1911 A-1, Luger P-08, Browning P-35, Walther P-38... :FlagAm:

Cheers,

FJT

Any list like this that doesn't include the Chevrolet Corvette and the Hemi Daytona/Super Bird may not be complete.

While a list like this is certainly subjective, the Auburn Boat Tailed Speedster and the Stanley Steamer come to mind.

Oh by the way, for those of you who would dispute the Avanti's place on the list, it was in fact the FIRST real pony car although the name is generally associated with the introduction of the Mustang.

Thompson Sub-machine gun

Maxim

FG42

M60

MP5

M2

M249 SAW

;)

Yea....I would go with this... http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/L...ther/quad50.jpg

My first car was a brand new, red Mustang

Unfortunately it was one of the only years that the Mustang was ugly!

The Mustang may have been ugly but you weren't! besides I have seenyour "Mini-Me" except with dark hair!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

geeez guys I was thinking guns! The best semi-auto was the 1911.

I know the post was about cars but I jest had to add my 2cents!

Tascosa

the best Auto was/is the Ma Deuce.

I was one of the brilliant young minds that stood around the Chevrolet dealership on unveiling day in 1953 saying that ugly thing they were calling a Corvette would never sell. Fiber glass body? Give me a break!

1. 32 Ford, w/ flathead V8

2. 55 Chevy, w/ 265 V8

3. 62 Sport Fury w/ 413 V8

4. 65 GTO 389 4v or Tri-Power

5. 396 SS Chevelle

6. 340 'Cuda

7. 65 Mustang, w/ 289 V8

8. F-150

9. Wide Track Pontiacs, particularly 1963 w/ 421 Tri-power

0. Saturn: 4-cyl SL-1 harbinger of a Better way of Thinking

Now were is my hoss and my Winchester ? Somebody call Deja. Cancel that, where's Laura?

Any list like this that doesn't include the Chevrolet Corvette and the Hemi Daytona/Super Bird may not be complete.

While a list like this is certainly subjective, the Auburn Boat Tailed Speedster and the Stanley Steamer come to mind.

Oh by the way, for those of you who would dispute the Avanti's place on the list, it was in fact the FIRST real pony car although the name is generally associated with the introduction of the Mustang.

B. D. -

Most Avanti owners prefer to think of their cars as 'grand touring' vehicles, instead of 'pony cars'.

But , you make a valid point. In 1963, Andy Granatelli went 160+ in an Avanti at Bonneville, and the next year bumped it up to 190+ in the R-5 Due Cento Avanti. Then made a pass at 224+, but could not make the back up run, so the 224 is an unofficial speed. That was faster than anything else being produced in the U.S. - then and for a long time to come.

There needs to be a truck on the list, but where to start - Dodge Ram, F-150, Hubmobile, a 1905 electric by the Studebaker Brothers ? ? ? ?

Noz -

Remember about 5 or 6 years after the Corvette introduction, being able to buy a 53 or 54 Vette for around $750.00 - all original, with both tops? ? ? Would loved to have bought a couple and stashed them for 40 or so years.

Tull

I had a '73 Pinto wagon. Raced radio controlled cars at the time and needed something to carry all the gear in. Good reliable car. Gas tank on the wagon was placed differently from the sedan. BTW. Blazing Pintos was more a figment of the media's imagination than fact. Just like the side tanks on the Chevy pick ups and the runaway acceleration of the Audi. Only major complaint was the driver's seat. Could have been used during the Inquisition as a questioning device.

Car cost about $2200 new. I spent $1100 for a Recaro seat to replace the factory monstrocity. Sold the Pinto. Still have the seat.

there is A LOT to be said for Getting Back to Basics

I had an '82 F-100 with the 3.8L V6 and 3 speed std. shift. Manual steering. Manual brakes, without ABS. Heck of a truck :-)

I got a 2000 Sunfire for Laura.... 2.2L "Quad4" engine, 3-spd automatic. Basic transportation-yes, but guess what: that's all that's needed. we do not need to spend $30,000 on vehicles loaded with trash nobody needs.

'Course now in terms of a New Shotgun, well that would be a Different Discussion

Archived