SASS Wire Forum

Procedurals

stepnmud#33546

Getting my fair share of 'P's. Nothing over complicated, but simple stuff like not taking rifle with me to next shooting position or just not right sequense on targets. Completely understand the course of fire at the beginning of stage,but then shoot the targets out order. :rolleyes: Just not paying enough attention and usually realize the 'out of order on targets' on the following shot. Anyhow I'm having fun shooting SASS matches and glad to participate. Almost always like to shoot towards the front of the posse's shooting order and help with posse chores soon after.

Merry Christmas to All.

A couple of keys that may help.

First, be sure to set the stage firmly in your mind. Look at the targets and think through the entire stage. Mentally visualizing each move you will make. Think of picking up each gun, shooting it, moving with it, setting it down, etc. You can even move your hands as you think it through. Do this a few times.

Next, ask friends or the R.O. to coach you and you may specifically say what you are concerned about.

Think only of doing it right - if you think at all. Think only in the positive such as pick it up, etc. DO NOT think in negative terms such "do not forget to...". That is like thinking "Don't Miss." You mind normally only hears the "Miss" part after the beep - so that is what you will do :rolleyes:

Then relax before you shoot. Let the force be with you... ;)

What Marauder said...

That's why the fellow shooters should not start a conversation with the next shooter at the loading table..

He's standing there very quiet tryin' ta get the stage and how he's gonna shoot it burnt into his brain..

That's what ya gotta do... but then again.. there's always someone wantin' ta say Hi.. how ya doin' today!!

Life in cowboy shooting... :rolleyes:

Rance ;)

Yeah... I stand there quietly thinkin' too ;)

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I got a Procedural last weekend, AFTER the walk through, AFTER I read the stage instructions (I was Posse leader), AFTER timing 8 people through the stage and I managed to screw up a simple "triple tap the three rifle targets" . As soon as I put round three on target two I said "I screwed up didnt I?" and the TO said "Yep"

What Marauder said.

On the other hand, don't worry 'bout it! Only consider it a problem when you've both written the stage and RO'd for half a posse... then shot the stage WRONG!!! That's when you might think about taking a break... from what I ain't sure... 'cause yer only choice are from: writin', ROin' or shootin'. All would be counter-productive!

How to avoid "P's".

Understand the stage instructions - Do I know exactly what the stage requires?

Analyze the stage breakdown - where do your hands go? Your feet? What happens next?

Visualize yourself doing ALL the things required - Moving with the gun - shooting the sequence - carrying the gold bag, etc.

Execute the stage - doing EXACTLY what you pictured mentally (no matter the speed). Make each motion correspond with the blueprint you established in your head.

And then when the inevietable does happen (as it does to everyone) and you receive a "P" - shake it off and do better next time.

As I get older I find that I am having trouble Peeing also, but I think you were asking about shooting. There have been some good ideas but here is what I have found.

1. Spot if you think you may have an issue with specific sequences

2. Don't let your gun outrun your brain. When I am really in the groove shooting pretty fast, I sometimes let my shooting literally out run my brains ability to concentrate on the proper sequence.

3. If possible get a copy of the stages the day or week before the match and really study the sequences. Many clubs put them on their web sites.

4. Ask the TO to help you with transitions. I find that just by asking as the last thing I do before saying I am ready, I have fewer transition, i.e. movement/gun handling issues.

5. On a difficult sequence, think up something to ask the timer to say as you move to the shooting position. If the SGs have a specific sequence that is a bit odd, like outside, outside, inside, inside. ask the TO to yell outside as you pick up the Shotgun. Again just asking helps me remember it.

6. Don't talk at the loading table and politely ask those that do, to shut up. Concentrate on the sequence of targets as you load your guns. Normally where we shoot we do not have loading table oversight and I find that when I go somewhere where we have oversight, it diminishes my final stage prep time. Some loading table officers just talk way too much.

7. Really listen when the stage is read and make sure you understand everything or ask questions if you do not.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
What helps me is to work as a spotter before I shoot. Watching others first gets the course of fire firmly in mind. I then like to shoot near the end.

+1

I'm the exact same way.

And as far as I'm concerned, complicated stages scenarios are the worse!

They are fun-suckers! Absolutely no fun!

Step,

Just keep on doin' what your doin' ;):blush:;)

Your fun to watch. :rolleyes:

thanks Manassas Jack, also compassionately known as Spider Man. :D Hope ya still using them S.G. loads from last time at TRR. HO Ho Ho Ho! :D

Good information above. There's no point in repeating it, so on a different note....

If a stage writer is having shooters to carry a rifle to another position after it's been shot...just to hake people remember to carry it to another position...instead of carrying it there to shoot it, that could be part of the problem. There's no point in writing in a memory challenge that is contrary to what a person's mind would tell them to do if they were actually in...a gunfight.

IMO, if a stage writer wants you to move with the rifle, they should write it so the rifle starts at table 1 and after shooting, say the pistols, you pick up the rifle and move to postion 2 to shoot it. The same area was covered, but with a purpose. The same movement could be accomplished carrying the rifle by starting at position 1 with the rifle at port arms, but only have a place to put the rifle down at postion 2.

Now, I realize that most likely you're not writing the stages, but this is stuff you can tell the stage writer about...that he might not have thought about. Now, if he's a hard head and dead set on you carrying a rifle for no reason...good luck.

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

Shoot real slooooooooooowwwwwww!!! Count each and every shot and think about where it is going.

Will help on procedurals but won't do much for your time. . . . . :rolleyes:

Well, I've been very lucky and only had one P that I remember. The stage was good, sequence a little more involved than some, but very doable. Normally I'm doing posse chores or watching, that stage I was trying to take pictures and videos of other folks. Then I kinda got in a rush when I went to shoot. I'd been shooting clean all day, and was shooting smooth on that stage and fast for me, then in between the first and second pistol I had a brain fart. A little quiet preparation and not rushing may have prevented that, then again maybe not. That also was the only stage that I'd ask a pard to video tape me shooting. Such is life, still had fun.

Guest diablo slim shootist

i think you answered your own question-shooting towards the first of the Posse

does not let you visualize the stage sequence in your head long enough. I tell

people on my posse if you do not understand the stage directions count or watch

the first few shooters so it can sink in better.when i get one its because my trigger finger

starts running faster than my brain-Slow down on complicated scenarios and consentrate

on shooting clean :rolleyes:

About the only guaranteed way I know to avoid procedurals in SASS, is to avoid going to any matches ~ and where is the fun in THAT?

You say you like to shoot near the front of the pack and then help with posse chores ~ try reversing that. Do spotting first, get the sequence firmly in mind, and shoot toward the latter half of the posse. Then, when you do get a P, laugh loud and long and enjoy it!

Buena suerte, amigo

eGG

Getting my fair share of 'P's. Nothing over complicated, but simple stuff like not taking rifle with me to next shooting position or just not right sequense on targets. Completely understand the course of fire at the beginning of stage,but then shoot the targets out order. :rolleyes: Just not paying enough attention and usually realize the 'out of order on targets' on the following shot. Anyhow I'm having fun shooting SASS matches and glad to participate. Almost always like to shoot towards the front of the posse's shooting order and help with posse chores soon after.

Merry Christmas to All.

As long as you are having fun don't sweat it. But, if you are really interested in reducing this issue go to Evil Roy's web site and order the book 'With winning in mind". Follow the process and over time (a few months) you will see significant improvement.

I usually try to do what post #4 and #5 said. I like to work the unloading table so you are not busy the whole time and are able to wacth and visualize before it's your turn to shoot.

Post #10, Flomax might help.

I also agree with post # 14 (Buck)

I'm a new shooter and I don't really care where I place, I just try to concentrate on no P's and no Safety calls. The speed will come later. I placed 34 overall last shoot and was proud of that. I've just got to work on those pistol misses. I think someone is slipping some blanks in on me.

If you are "pushing" yourself to hard and trying to shoot too fast IMO you earn more "P's". Focus more and don't worry about your time....let that come naturally and watch the front sight and everything will workout fine.

Excellant point Buck, on the stage writing, however I was the only one on posse that failed to comply, so see it as my fault. :rolleyes:

Yep, everyone has the same things to do. I wasn't meaning to really "fault" anyone. I was just looking to "improve the process." ;)

I'm reminded of Holy Terror's comments on the show Cowboys this week. If you didn't see it, essentially she spoke of the complexity of our sport compared to other shooting sports. We have four guns, two of them single actions that must be cocked for each shot, a lever action rifle (typically) that must be levered for each shot and a shotgun that starts empty and must be loaded... thrown on top of keeping up with target order and movement that exists in some of other shooting sports, but not all. In other words, it's pretty complex.

With all this, why would we throw in one more thing to do...just to do it... when it wouldn't follow the flow of a gunfight? That's all I'm saying. If things are thrown in...just because...we all still have to do it, BUT it doesn't mean we can't talk to the stage writers and make them aware of how it can be improved... in a constructive way, of course. :unsure:

In the quest for the reduction in P's I notice the recomendation to shoot later in the order so you have time to get a better understanding of what is required. When a shooting order is in effect you don't get this option. You have to shoot first some times!!!

Fordyce the smokie cap and ball gunfighter - if I can't see the targets how can they call a "P"?

thanks Manassas Jack, also compassionately known as Spider Man. :D Hope ya still using them S.G. loads from last time at TRR. HO Ho Ho Ho! :P

Hey Step in Stuff,

I wish you would stop watching me and doing what I do. Shoot behind the guy that does it right :)

Ya going to be at T P tomorrow?

See ya,

WJ

Step,

Just keep on doin' what your doin' :P:FlagAm::D

Your fun to watch. :)

Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho - Dats a good one! :FlagAm:

Just a addon to that. YOUR Handle ------- what is it???? STEP N MUD ?????? Heck fire, your doomed before ya pull a trigger!!!! :lol::lol:

Merry Christmas to a man that shoots to his handle!!!!

Yore Friend

Oklahoma Dee

Howdy Dee, I can vividly remember you demostrating the correct technic on how level dry cow pies on the gun range with them gun boats you call boots. :)

HO HO HO HO! and Merry Christamas to ya and yours. :P

Hi Step,

I've noticed that I get less Ps when I am comfortable with the people I'm shooting with. I also shoot more smoothly. It's easier to focus then.

When I try to plan too many details to enhance my performance, I tend to trip myself up. I do better when I do it the easiest way rather than the most efficient way. I just don't shoot enough (once or twice a month) any more and that is another problem.

Good thread, pard!

Regards,

Allie Mol

Hey Step!!

When ya gonna come shoot with us again?? Don't guarantee no "P's", but we will have fun. Shootin tomorrow, you haven't seen the new range yet!! You also might wanna come shoot with us on New Years Day. We're gonna have one helluva shoot, great vittles, and lots of fun! Good advice here, gonna look at it again myself. Hope to see ya soon.

Capt Hill

Archived