SASS Wire Forum

What hooked me on SASS

Snake Marquez

I grew up with Roy Rogers and Davy Crockett. I remember my Coonskin cap, Watching Wagon Train with my Mom. Watching Bonanza with my Grandparents and wishing Lorne Green was my Dad. Watching Wild Wild West and wishing I was as cool as James West. Watching High Chaparral and identifying with Blue but thinking Manolito was the Man.

My Heroes were John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

As I grew older, life intruded and bills, jobs and all the ugly issues in our troubled world affected me.

Then one Gun show at Pomona I met Hipshot. I was stunned to find out there were grown ups playing Cowboy and Indians AND there was a club here in Bakersfield!

Went to my first match with my girlfriend and best Friend with nothing but good intentions and a borrowed Ruger BlackHawk. We were welcomed like long lost family and magically gear appeared so we could shoot!

I never looked back. I met people both good and bad just like anywhere else, but for a long time the magic of CAS let me go back in time to my Black and White TV and my family. I had my memories of a better world where the Good Guys always won, the girls were all pretty, and your word was your bond.

Where did all that go away for me?

Trying to figure it out,

Snake

Shooting my mouth off again, high velocity and big bore!

It never went away for me. It never will as long as there is a match to shoot and guns to shoot it with.

One small correction, as much as I like the Duke and Eastwood, Paladin is THE MAN!!!

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Howdy Snake

Well we must have grown up in the same saturday morning western time. When I found out about SASS I couldn't believe that it was a childhood dream comin true. I watched them all and remember most of them. And now shootin stages written about some of our heros makes ya feel like your there. The guns are a lot more fun now 45's instead of cap guns. Good memeries. Enjoy

Jesamy Kid #34841

"My Hereos Have Always Been Cowboys"

I grew up watching all the usual westerns myself. Saw something about SASS and I always thought that nothing looked cooler than a single action revolver. Hadn't shot a lot as an adult and the idea of shooting 44's or 45's in a match sounded great compared to plinking with 22's at the range.. Ended up loving shooting the lever guns and double barrel shotguns as much as the handguns. Now, some of the discussions here on the wire make me wonder, but once I'm actually at a match shooting, that all goes away. Still love it. Smokin Gator

It never went away for me. It never will as long as there is a match to shoot and guns to shoot it with.

One small correction, as much as I like the Duke and Eastwood, Paladin is THE MAN!!!

Very Best Regards,

BJT

Yep, still get excited on Friday night before a match..............

cept for me it's the one and only, Randolph Scott :wacko:

Jefro :wacko:

Very Best Regards,

BJT

D'Accord.

Season five ships from Amazon next week! Pre-ordered months ago!

SC

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
Come for the shootin', stay for the nice folks you meet! I love it!

+1

That's how it was for me, I went to the range to see about SASS after bumping into the president of the Outlaws in a parking lot and talking with him a while.

The style of shooting on a clock didn't impress me much at first, but I loved the period guns and period clothing and of course I got to meet some really nice people. Since I already had the guns and the clothing, it was just a matter of gettingto a range and do some shooting and meeting some like-minded folks.

These days I love it.

:wacko:

I normally see eye 2 eye with BJT and Jefro.

But DA Man has gotta be:

Marshal Dillon.

..........Widder

Perhaps....... :wacko:

My Dad was a fan of Westerns. When I was a kid we watched Gunsmoke on prime time and reruns of The Lone Ranger and Daniel Boone in the afternoons, another favorite "cowboy" - Yosemite Sam - appeared on Saturday mornings.

I remember when The Cowboys was in theatres, my little 3-year-old brother punched a black man in the stomach in the grocery store and called him a 'dirty s.o.b.' - mom was mortified, but the guy had seen the movie and thought it was hilarious! We all wanted to be John Wayne.

My first SASS experience was only 6 months ago. It was an incredible rush drawing revolvers from leather and engaging that first target, I was grinning like a schoolboy by the end of that stage! Every bit as much fun as playing 'cowboys and indians' in the streets and backyards of the neighborhoods I remember as a child!

Now sometimes it seems I'm taking it too seriously, kicking myself for having a miss on the very first stage of the match or wishing I'd posted a better time...but then I remember that I'm there for the FUN and just let 'er rip on the next stage or ad-lib my "line" for comic effect -- I might boorishly laugh at my own joke, but by that point I don't care if anyone else is laughing or not, 'cuz I'm six years old again and with every 'ding' on steel I just wanna shout 'BANG! you're dead!!'

Still Hooked on SASS,

TMM

It sounds funny to tell my kids that I was born before home computing AND color TV. I remember my ol' man telling me he was born before TV. It sounded so strange.

I went to K-2 on Hickham AFB and me a Jimbo Tyler both had coon skin caps and cap guns. We terrorized on base housing playing cowboys and indians. Then when we got state side- Callyfornya it was a new subdivision and every house had a kid. We'd switch off doing scenes from Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Cheyenne Bodie, Paladin. I got a Rifleman rifle and a Fanner 50 set for Christmas one year between duty stations in Europe. I was in heaven but we had no TV for 3 years so I read every book from Ol' Yeller to the Virginian.

There wasn't a Saturday morning that my bro and I weren't sitting there in our whitey-tighties with our guns on in front of the TV.

Now- much later in life I was shooting sporting clays and enjoying myself when I got hurt badly in a haying accident. I tried to shoot sporting and pulled the trigger BOOM! temporarily blind in my left eye. Hands went numb for 2 weeks.... no more... and I'd just won a Nat'l Sporting Skins on TV in HI. Tom Selleck and Arnold were on my posse that year. Done....can't grind 20,000 targets a year to stay competitive (little natural talent)

I didn't shoot anything for 7 years. My boys saw SASS on the Outdoor channel and yelled for me to come watch. One said, "You just need new guns. You already own all the clothes anyway!"

Someone told me once that you're going to be the happiest if you try to remember who you were when you were 10 years old. I had wanted to get back to shooting; heard that and started looking for a SASS club in Colorado.

That was '06 January... cold... windy... and 50 shooters mobbed me and a friend with guns and costumes and advice and phone numbers and friendship. Pawnee Station is still my home club. You just can't find nicer people anywhere, and I've met so many nice, wonderful people now.

To a military brat family is where you find them. This SASS family is the best from TX to NM to CO to SD every shoot has been an absolute pleasure because of the people.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving wherever you are. I hope that you're able to spend it with family and friends, but either way let your prayers of Thanksgiving go out to the men, women and their families who serve us both in and out of harm's way.

We are truly blessed.

Where did all that go away for me?

Trying to figure it out,

Snake

Pard,

Sounds like the question should be "Where did YOU go?" because "all that" is probably still there......

I'll bet there are tons of friendly cowboys where you are.

I'll bet the shooting is still fun even if it isn't done like it was when you started.

SASS is like any other organism......it's going to continually grow and change. As parents we watch our children grow and develop. They quit doing some of the "cute" things as they get older and we miss that, but we also enjoy the more mature things they start doing. They make mistakes along the way and sometimes seem like they may be lost forever, but they aren't. We help them make corrections and adjust their actions. We help them to find their way and as we do we continue to find our way as well.

To expect "no change" is unrealistic......what we should all do is accept the maturation process, find NEW JOY instead of focusing on the "cute" things that may have been lost along the way and help guide our SASS Child into the future.....keeping in mind that sometimes it will get off path and be too far left and then too far right, but eventually with our help it will make its way back to the center.....and you will to.....hope to see you on the trail Pard!

Stan

I was never fond of Roy and Gene movies/shows when I waz a kid because they had cars in the show. Didn't work for my fantasy.

I learned at a pretty young age: You usually find what you are looking for....

I had intended to go to EOT every year for about 15 years. After my quad bypass, Old Top insisted no he INSISTED we go and of course EOT moved right after that....was it something we said...

oh well, we geared up anyway. First day shooting at Cowboys we were first met by Ivory Jack, and quickly followed by LLC.....2 of the greatest ambassordors of this game.

Top and I still pack the night before, like it was Cristmas. And we strive to shoot at least ONE new match a year.

Since I retired I actually get to shoot a 2 day or more match, so that is double the fun for me.

My artiritis is slowing me up and making it more MUCH more painful to shoot, but I said it before I will continue to shoot until I feel that I am unsafe on the range...until then, I may shoot with a sundial, and sometimes even a calander, but I am still enjoying it....

If you are not having any fun....try getting a new personna.....I been working on my Scout look for almost 2 years...

good shootin

curley

Well said, Snake!

I grew up with Gene, Roy, The Duke, Paladin.....all of 'em! It would be hard to pick a favorite, but I'll share this story:

I shoot a double and every once and awhile I'm asked why I don't use a '97. My answer is this: I believe I was 13 or thereabouts when the Magnificent Seven hit the theater and I saved up some money to go to the show with my friends. When Steve MCQueen borrowed that double....shook the two rounds a bit......let 'em slide into the chambers and flipped that shotgun closed........I got goose bumps! Thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen and swore I'd get a double one day. I did and that's all I shoot shotgun-wise.

Yep, SASS. Join for the shootin', but STAY because of the people!

Let's see :wacko: ... What hooked me on SASS...

Born in the late 40's..yeah.. I'm old.. :wacko:

As a kid I watched all the TV Westerns that's been mentioned...

Played cowboy every chance I could..

Lived on a farm but Dad didn't believe in horses... so I made a wooden saddle for our big ol' propane tank.. road it all one summer..

When I hit my teen years.. still watched westerns but couldn't play much cowboy any longer..

Started huntin' rabbit and quail on our farm.. that's about the only thing we had and Mom could fry it up great...

Married and left the farm... Dad and Mom passed away... quit huntin' cuz Dad said to eat what ya shoot.. Mom wasn't around to fry it up.. so quit huntin'...

Friend about 6 years ago invited me to a SASS match in the fall...

He furnished me guns, ammo and equipment....

call me DONE!!!! WOW...had ball... what a HOOT!!!

I'm an old man and get to play cowboy like a kid again..

and I still love it..

Rance :wacko:

Thinkin' I wished I'd found CAS earlier..

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
I grew up with Roy Rogers and Davy Crockett. I remember my Coonskin cap, Watching Wagon Train with my Mom. Watching Bonanza with my Grandparents and wishing Lorne Green was my Dad. Watching Wild Wild West and wishing I was as cool as James West. Watching High Chaparral and identifying with Blue but thinking Manolito was the Man.

My Heroes were John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

As I grew older, life intruded and bills, jobs and all the ugly issues in our troubled world affected me.

Snake

Snake,

I know exactly what you mean!

Inspiration is where you can find it! And for me when I need a little inspiration, I watch this video and realize that I better get to the range to have some of that kind of fun!

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Ca22Ds37I

It just don't get any better does it! :wacko:

Semper Fi pard!

:wacko:

What got me interested in SASS was reading Louis Lamour Westerns.

What got me hooked was the people ya meet.

What keeps it interesting for me is living in Iowa we don't shoot in the winter so by the end of March I can't wait ta go shooting!!!

Chili Pepper Kid

What got me hooked...wasn't wanting to relive my past. Watch The Rifleman and Bonanza on TV when I was a kid and frankly it had nothing to do with me joining SASS nor me being "Hooked" on SASS.

What got me hooked:

The Shooting

The Competition

The Cool guns!!!

I enjoy the clothing aspect too.

I've found wonderful people in many different games that I've played through the years...and it may come as a shock to some of you, but as far as the "Grown-ups" go, there are just as nice folks in many other games as there is in SASS.

I do notice that the kids are better mannered in CAS...but the Grown-ups...

Cheers!

Phantom

What got me hooked...wasn't wanting to relive my past. Watch The Rifleman and Bonanza on TV when I was a kid and frankly it had nothing to do with me joining SASS nor me being "Hooked" on SASS.

What got me hooked:

The Shooting

The Competition

The Cool guns!!!

I enjoy the clothing aspect too.

I've found wonderful people in many different games that I've played through the years...and it may come as a shock to some of you, but as far as the "Grown-ups" go, there are just as nice folks in many other games as there is in SASS.

I do notice that the kids are better mannered in CAS...but the Grown-ups...

Cheers!

Phantom

Thats pretty much it for me.I love westerns been watchin them ever since I was little kid & never stopped but has nothin to do with me & SASS.

I saw Lead Dispencer & Badlands Bud on "Cowboys TV " the next weekend I went to a local shoot & I was hooked.That was '06 I think.I was lucky to catch that episode because if I would of seen the coverage another show does of EOT focusing on B western outfits & such probaly would of never gotten started.

Since I've started SASS I've made alot of very good friends,thats for sure.

Regards AO

I didn't grow up with westerns (although I must have had a Stampede cowboy hat as a kid). Never really thought much about cowboys. But I was raised in the cowboy spirit...be honest, take responsibility, work hard, have some fun.

Met the love of my life who was a shooter, loved the Old West and cowboy action shooting. Initially I just wanted to spend more time with him so kept score at matches. Didn't take long to realize I could probably figure this out. We never looked back and are so grateful.....friends all across the country, great road trips to matches, lots of laughs, and sometimes we even shoot okay. (oh...and I did marry Mescalero.. :wub:)

The best part is now my parents are hooked (understatement). It's so much fun to see them having the time of their lives and traveling to more matches that we do! Anyone who has had the pleasure of watching little kids at Christmas knows the feeling.

The sport isn't perfect, but I wouldn't trade the amazing ride it's been for anything. Let the ride continue.... see ya at Convention!

My hats off to you Calgary. Of the original 5 Dogs bunch when I started, Mescalero is the only one left! I'm glad you still have those great feelings about SASS.

I'm pretty sure all the local politics, Wire Whining (which I do as well), Texs Stirring the pot in the Chronicle, never ending rules changes, etc, etc, all took the bloom off the Rose for me. The innocent fun I used to have has been gone for some time now.

But when I get to a Match (dragging Vixen along) "Surprise", We still manage to have a good time!

See ya at the December match,

Snake

I didn't grow up with westerns (although I must have had a Stampede cowboy hat as a kid). Never really thought much about cowboys. But I was raised in the cowboy spirit...be honest, take responsibility, work hard, have some fun.

Met the love of my life who was a shooter, loved the Old West and cowboy action shooting. Initially I just wanted to spend more time with him so kept score at matches. Didn't take long to realize I could probably figure this out. We never looked back and are so grateful.....friends all across the country, great road trips to matches, lots of laughs, and sometimes we even shoot okay. (oh...and I did marry Mescalero.. :wub:)

The best part is now my parents are hooked (understatement). It's so much fun to see them having the time of their lives and traveling to more matches that we do! Anyone who has had the pleasure of watching little kids at Christmas knows the feeling.

The sport isn't perfect, but I wouldn't trade the amazing ride it's been for anything. Let the ride continue.... see ya at Convention!

I was disappointed that I missed your parents when they visited the Canadian championship shoot at Rocky Mountain House a couple of years back. Love your Dad's alias, "the Mad Trapper of Rat River", Charles Bronson played him in the movie and Lee Marvin played the Mountie tracking him, it was filmed west of Calgary near Canmore.

Cheers!

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I read about CAS for sometime and would check out what was happening every year when CVR had their John Wayne match but couldnt seem to get the stuff together or the nerve to get involved until 5 years ago. Now it just about consumes my free time either cleaning guns, shooting guns, writing stages and doing what ever I can to be involved in the club. Even in the short time I have been involved I have seen changes and the occasional hard feeling but people are people and this is still the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and some of the best folks I would ever want to know.

Hi Snake,

Hubby started shooting 9-10 years before I did. I was going to school, snow skiing (when there was snow), and working 40 hours a week during that time. When I finally graduated in 1998, I thought I would give it a try. My first match was May 16, 1999. I came in last; but had a great time. We went to lunch after the match and I got to know some of the folks better. That year, I shot 27 matches. The next year I shot 49 matches, the next year 50, the next year 48... Talk about being addicted. I even practiced. Shooting was fun, getting better was fun, the people were fun, meeting more people was fun, spending more time with hubby was fun, the costumes were fun... What a package!

Many things have changed since then. :FlagAm: Sometimes, I'm sad thinking about the changes in my circumstances. However, none of those changes have to do with the matches themselves. I've not had such a great time in years as I did at Arroyo Cantua, the Lakewood Marshals, US Open, and GFBJL this year. I thank you, friends, for your kindness! I feel rejuvenated after those matches.

I hope to meet even more folks next year. My sister-in-law and I are talking about going to Texas together for Comin' Atcha! :FlagAm:

Regards,

Allie Mo

First shot cowboy in 1993, attended my first major match in 1995. My scores in that match were averaging a whopping 73.15 seconds per stage. I used the name Johnny Rico instead of my official SASS name Rico Kid. After all those years of monthly matches and annuals around California and Oregon I still get excited to attend even our local monthly matches. It's pretty cool to find something that embraces guns, shooting, wonderful people and more kidding around than should be legal!!!!

Hi Snake,

Hubby started shooting 9-10 years before I did. I was going to school, snow skiing (when there was snow), and working 40 hours a week during that time. When I finally graduated in 1998, I thought I would give it a try. My first match was May 16, 1999. I came in last; but had a great time. We went to lunch after the match and I got to know some of the folks better. That year, I shot 27 matches. The next year I shot 49 matches, the next year 50, the next year 48... Talk about being addicted. I even practiced. Shooting was fun, getting better was fun, the people were fun, meeting more people was fun, spending more time with hubby was fun, the costumes were fun... What a package!

Many things have changed since then. :FlagAm: Sometimes, I'm sad thinking about the changes in my circumstances. However, none of those changes have to do with the matches themselves. I've not had such a great time in years as I did at Arroyo Cantua, the Lakewood Marshals, US Open, and GFBJL this year. I thank you, friends, for your kindness! I feel rejuvenated after those matches.

I hope to meet even more folks next year. My sister-in-law and I are talking about going to Texas together for Comin' Atcha! :FlagAm:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well COME ON!!

I will make sure you get a big Texas welcome.

I was Obsessed with Spaghetti Westerns as a Kid. Compared to the,what i thought, unrealistic John Wayne stuff. Little did I know how hocky The Spaghetti Westerns were. But hands down Clint Eastwood has to be the Coolest Cowboy. Josey Wales All time Fav. I reenacted Civil War for years wishing i wasnt shooting blanks. When I found out about CAS it blew my mind. I could actually dress up, Reenact and shoot for real???? It was life changing for me and the People really are the best. Comming from Shooting IPSC and IDPA where people are so wrapped up in the competition they dont even talk to you, This sport was a Blessing.

Thanks to all those that have gone out of there way for me. Conway Kid,Sam, Weewahootee,Big Jim Hammond, Turkey Creek Red, Santa Fe River Stan . If it were not for there kindness and generousity at times, I would not be involved today

I normally see eye 2 eye with BJT and Jefro.

But DA Man has gotta be:

Marshal Dillon.

..........Widder

+1

Kid Doubleday

Archived