SASS Wire Forum

Atmospheric River ?

Is this a new weather term? Pretty bad whatever they call it.

Everyone okay out there??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/la-storm-watch-flash-flood-warnings-for-beverly-hills-elsewhere-as-latest-atmospheric-river-soaks-region/ar-BB1ixAJN

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

https://pubs.usgs.gov/publication/70201113

Coined by some guys at MIT

Abstract

"Since the term “atmospheric river” (AR) first appeared in modern scientific literature in the early 1990s, it has generated debate about the meaning of the concept. A common popular definition is something along the lines of a “river in the sky,” albeit as a river of water vapor rather than of liquid. This general concept has come into regular use in the western United States and in some other regions affected by ARs, partly due to its use by media, and due to the intuitive nature of the concept. However, over the last 20 years there have been varying perspectives on the term in the technical community. These perspectives range roughly from considering it duplicative of preexisting concepts, such as the warm conveyor belt (WCB), to arguments that the analogy to terrestrial rivers is inappropriate, to being a primary topic of focused research, applications, and usage by water managers.".

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

And describes something completely different.

Yes, I know. But without the Jet Stream it would be hard to have a newfangled weather phenomena called an “atmospheric river”.

Stupid name. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Yes, I know. But without the Jet Stream it would be hard to have a newfangled weather phenomena called an “atmospheric river”.

Stupid name. 

Not if you look at what it was coined to describe.  

As it seems to be being overused now, I agree.

• Like 1

Tremendous amount of damage here.
When we were coming back from Mardi Gras, the Sacramento airport was entirely closed down and all flights cancelled.
This happened again yesterday, again due to high winds.
We had a tornado warning for the I5 area here.

The photos below are indicative of the amount of damage here.
We don't get the wide spread mudslides they get in SoCal.

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-06.jpg

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-20.jpg

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-23.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Global Climate Change is FACT.  Get use to it.

Has been for millions of years.   

When people say that they don't believe in climate change what they really mean is that they don't believe that the Lysenkoist religion of anthropomorphic climate change that can be remedied through taxation, wealth redistribution, and lowering the western standard of living down to the level of Darfur is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

48 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Global Climate Change is FACT.  Get use to it.

31 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Has been for millions of years.   

When people say that they don't believe in climate change what they really mean is that they don't believe that the Lysenkoist religion of anthropomorphic climate change that can be remedied through taxation, wealth redistribution, and lowering the western standard of living down to the level of Darfur is correct.

In simpler terms, (in deference to Alpo), the climate is, and always has been changing. MANKIND has NOTHING to do with it. Nothing we can do short of blowing every nuke we have to kick up enough dust to clog up the atmosphere is going affect it. 

If we COULD change the climate, there'd be no more deserts, blizzards, tornados, hurricanes, or the like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

YEPPER!!  PLUS ONE for the Subdeacon!!  Global Climate Change is going to continue regardless of what we do.  If ALL the activists weren't completely full of krap, they would just be piles of empty clothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

YEPPER!!  PLUS ONE for the Subdeacon!!  Global Climate Change is going to continue regardless of what we do.  If ALL the activists weren't completely full of krap, they would just be piles of empty clothing.

It’ll continue regardless of us! Check out the weather scientists that don’t believe we have anything to do with it! How did the earth warm up and freeze ions before man was here? Did the Great Lakes form because of man? Quit listening to the lefty loonies and at least give the other side a listen for God’s sakes!!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Tremendous amount of damage here.
When we were coming back from Mardi Gras, the Sacramento airport was entirely closed down and all flights cancelled.
This happened again yesterday, again due to high winds.
We had a tornado warning for the I5 area here.

The photos below are indicative of the amount of damage here.
We don't get the wide spread mudslides they get in SoCal.

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-06.jpg

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-20.jpg

2023.01.10 Storm Damage-23.jpg

Hope you get straightened out quickly!

18 minutes ago, Guns Goforth said:

Had a pine tree fall and just slapped my house, near miss. 

Windy, Wet, Muddy mess.

IMG_1750.jpg

Hope you’re okay!

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Bomb cyclones sound fun!

That’s the term I was trying to remember. Another “look at me” stupid weather reporter term. 

• Haha 1

I am trying to remember…I think the only plague that hasn’t hit California in recent history is locusts. I may be wrong.

<_<

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I am trying to remember…I think the only plague that hasn’t hit California in recent history is locusts. I may be wrong.

<_<

It's called "The California Legislature."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Other than a whole lot of delayed luggage coming back from Mardi Gras, we had zero impact this time around.
Next door lost seven sections of fence.

In Orygon Territory they call it a Hydrological Event when the atmospheric river melts the snow because it's a warm rain.  I guess they are trying to sound smart.

As I understand it from the geologic history, the Earth has been in a short term cold trend, and is now returning to its long term status of higher temps and green house gasses.  Like it had for hundreds of millions of years.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:00 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

In simpler terms, (in deference to Alpo), the climate is, and always has been changing. MANKIND has NOTHING to do with it.

Yep, it always has changed and it always will, but every time it changes it does it for a reason. Just a few short hundred years ago, which is less than the blink of an eye in the Earth's time scale, we started the Industrial Revolution which meant we were burning things and sending stuff up into the sky. But that's not all it meant. We also had other scientific and medical advances so we were living better lives, dying less from disease, and living longer. In that little historical blink of an eye we went from half a billion to eight billion so it wasn't just emissions, it's also resource consumption and waste generation. Weird things we're seeing now aren't only regular weather or climate changes, they're also the Earth just now starting to try and correct for changes directly attributable to us, and it's gonna keep getting worse as long as we stay stupid enough to not change anything we're doing. Don't worry, the Earth will be fine, but that doesn't mean we will. We might kill ourselves off by our own stubbornness just because we think we have to disagree with everything the other side says.