SASS Wire Forum

A Sad Day In Our History

My dad was in high school here in Tacoma at the time and had several friends and classmates interned. He used to point out that being of German descent was no problem, because they couldn't tell that by looking at you.

Interestingly, not only were Japanese and Japanese-Americans in Hawaii not interned, neither were many of those who lived away from the 'coast'. I know of one family from Moses Lake, Wa, in central/eastern Washington who were not interned.

• Thanks 3

And yet they still choose to volunteer to serve a country that treated them horribly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese-American_service_in_World_War_II

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My Grandmother, Mom, aunts & uncles were all incarcerated. My Grandfather, who was Filipino, had already passed, but my paternal great uncle was the only family member left on the outside. They lost their farm, he was alone, so he enlisted & was killed in action over on the Philippines. I remember the horrific stories my uncles told as they were very bitter about the whole situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Interestingly, not only were Japanese and Japanese-Americans in Hawaii not interned, neither were many of those who lived away from the 'coast'. I know of one family from Moses Lake, Wa, in central/eastern Washington who were not interned.

They weren't because One reason was that Honolulu Chief of Police Jack Burns refused to carry out any plan to intern Japanese-American citizens. He was later elected to be Governor of Hawai’i with overwhelming Japanese-American voter support.  

In other words DO NOT COMPLY .

They did however have sever camps on Hawaii .

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

My Grandmother, Mom, aunts & uncles were all incarcerated. My Grandfather, who was Filipino, had already passed, but my paternal great uncle was the only family member left on the outside. They lost their farm, he was alone, so he enlisted & was killed in action over on the Philippines. I remember the horrific stories my uncles told as they were very bitter about the whole situation.

There were many stories arising out of the situation, some very bad, some good. A great many of the Japanese Americans hereabouts were truck farmers in the Puyallup Valley. In many cases, their neighbors worked their farms, paid their property taxes, and thus preserved their family farmland. 

In many other cases, people bought their land at tax sales; in effect stealing the land the internees couldn't pay taxes on because imprisoned. As a kid, I remember this especially striking me-- the government interns you for no crime, but no provision is made for pausing tax liability, so you lose not only your freedom, but your property.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It is easy to find reports of limited internment, etc., on the web but finding documentation supporting those statements is difficult.

Close to 13300 German and Italian born citizens that were members of the German-American Bund and Facist Leauge of North America that lived along coastal areas were detained, interned or expelled. All German and Italians who had 1 or more parents living in the US were required to register, surrender their cameras, short-wave radio receiving sets, and radio transmitters and had to report travel outside of a specific area. Travel restriction were lifted in late 1942.

• Thanks 1

I worked with 3 men of Japanese descent when I worked at Hughes Aircraft. All 3 were interred as children. All 3 loved this country and were very loyal. All 3 had Secret Clearances with EBI’s on several programs. An EBI is an Extensive Background Investigation. It’s like a program related Top Secret, but it’s not a Top Secret clearance. 
Only one spoke of his experience when his family was interred. It broke his parents hearts but they said they understood why it was done. 

I have often wondered how things would go if we went to war with China. I doubt history would be repeated, but with today’s politicians and how two-faced they are I wouldn’t be surprised if they did try to inter Americans of Chinese descent. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I worked with 3 men of Japanese descent when I worked at Hughes Aircraft. All 3 were interred as children. All 3 loved this country and were very loyal. All 3 had Secret Clearances with EBI’s on several programs. An EBI is an Extensive Background Investigation. It’s like a program related Top Secret, but it’s not a Top Secret clearance. 
Only one spoke of his experience when his family was interred. It broke his parents hearts but they said they understood why it was done. 

I have often wondered how things would go if we went to war with China. I doubt history would be repeated, but with today’s politicians and how two-faced they are I wouldn’t be surprised if they did try to inter Americans of Chinese descent. 

Interned!     Interred is usually six feet under.

Sorry, I do usually ignore errors.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What does it mean if someone is interned?

Meaning of interned in English

to put someone in prison for political or military reasons, especially during a war: Many foreigners were interned for the duration of the war. SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases. Putting people in prison.

The crews from the “30 seconds over Tokyo”* that landed in Russia were interned.

Technically, the Japanese troops in Mongolia who were taken prisoner by the Russians were interned and not captured as POWs because the war was over.  Didn’t matter, they went to the same labor camps.

———

*Doolittle Raid — had a brain fart and couldn’t remember the name.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Interned!     Interred is usually six feet under.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:
What does it mean if someone is interned?

Meaning of interned in English

to put someone in prison for political or military reasons, especially during a war: Many foreigners were interned for the duration of the war. SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases. Putting people in prison.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The crews from the “30 seconds over Tokyo”* that landed in Russia were interned.

Technically, the Japanese troops in Mongolia who were taken prisoner by the Russians were interned and not captured as POWs because the war was over.  Didn’t matter, they went to the same labor camps.

———

*Doolittle Raid — had a brain fart and couldn’t remember the name.

IMG_7041.thumb.jpeg.84d0182bbc8000b2b180905cdc927bd1.jpeg

War as they say is hell. Just be thankful they were not Jews living in Germany.

Time to move on or we will never heal as a country if we keep whining about the past.  IMHO

6 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

War as they say is hell. Just be thankful they were not Jews living in Germany.

Time to move on or we will never heal as a country if we keep whining about the past.  IMHO

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it!

Those who dwell on the past never move on.

Actually it is those who do not LEARN from the past are doomed to repeat it

Best Wishes

ive always felt [without having been there at the time] that was a perfect example of mass hysteria or mob mentality stopping just short of lynchings , totally uncalled for and probably ilegal as pointed out above yet in wartime a lot of dumb things happen , 

The author of this book is an English professor in my hometown, and his daughter was a classmate of mine.  His parents were interned; they pulled him out of the camps and put him in the army because he was a physician!  My classmate is now a world famous artist, and I helped her track down her grandfather's military history.  He was a complete badass.

https://www.amazon.com/Looking-After-Minidoka-American-Memoir/dp/0253011027/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2DFFE5QKSTTEY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9._x8U1-yoq3dvYkHfJSvcYKknwVmy83UbYQ0GtHxYbTE.kvVoexClbEVtl7SFHnx6PgzLNrhhvNtkxKHQ42GLapU&dib_tag=se&keywords=looking+after+minidoka&qid=1708632513&sprefix=looking+after+minidoka%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:51 PM, Texas Jack Black said:

Some of the people who were in those camps are still with us.   Those who lost their farms, businesses, homes, jobs because of EO9066 had children who would have taken over and increased those assets who were cheated out of them.

It's not on the same scale as Treblinka,  Birkenau, or Sobibor we must keep the memory of them alive to prevent repetition of them.

Remembering the past doesn't mean that you are static, frozen in time.

23 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Those who dwell on the past never move on.

You just condemned those who participate in CAS, or those who keep the old warbirds flying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Some of the people who were in those camps are still with us.   Those who lost their farms, businesses, homes, jobs because of EO9066 had children who would have taken over and increased those assets who were cheated out of them.

It's not on the same scale as Treblinka,  Birkenau, or Sobibor we must keep the memory of them alive to prevent repetition of them.

Remembering the past doesn't mean that you are static, frozen in time.

You just condemned those who participate in CAS, or those who keep the old warbirds flying.

No I said Dwell.  Nothing to do with those who ADMIRE the past .And you know that.:FlagAm:

Best Wishes

ya , i suspect it might , but based on everything that has crossed our boarders in the last three years i fully expect things to happen all over the country soon , i believe the age of our freedoms is about to be breeched ,

21 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I guess that master's degree in history I just finished means I can't move on?

Move on does not mean you can not remember past events,    To dwell on the past can be destructive to your future instilling fear and self pity always doubting and fearful of new adventures.

Your Masters degree should  have nothing to do with dwelling on the past and  not being able to move on. Or maybe not in your case.

Best Wishes

Best Wishes

Edited by Texas Jack Black