SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss Update — 2024 Shot Show

Cholla

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I think Unique's gotten about as scarce as Trail Boss....   :(

29 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

This is what I'm seeing too.

Up until last week, Unique was available at Natchez in 1 and 8 pound containers but it wasn't cheap ($50+ & $300+) and I think it was available at Powder Valley for a time also. Just have to look at their sites about once or twice a week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Up until last week, Unique was available at Natchez in 1 and 8 pound containers but it wasn't cheap ($50+ & $300+) and I think it was available at Powder Valley for a time also. Just have to look at their sites about once or twice a week.

I prefer buying local, but I get you.

My local guy said he expects to get Unique in the next month or so but indicated it will be $50+/lb. Damnawhama! Glad I still have a usable amount of TB for CAS.

• Like 1

Just imagine what TB will cost! Considering it's just over half a pound in the bottle to begin with. Probably right around $100 for an actual pound.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Just imagine what TB will cost! Considering it's just over half a pound in the bottle to begin with. Probably right around $100 for an actual pound.

That's about what I'm thinking.

21 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I prefer buying local, but I get you.

My local guy said he expects to get Unique in the next month or so but indicated it will be $50+/lb. Damnawhama! Glad I still have a usable amount of TB for CAS.

I'd love to purchase locally but, unfortunately, there's only one place anywhere near my locality that is an actual reloading supply shop...and the owner is a complete ass. I wouldn't purchase anything from him if he was giving it away.

There is a Sportsman Warehouse and an Academy Sports within 10 miles but they aren't really a store for reloading supplies although they have some primers, a few powders and some bags of shot. I did recently get 1,000 Federal LPP's from Sportsman @ $90.62 per K total.

I personally don't see TB making a return anytime soon, including this year. I don't use it so the shortage doesn't affect me but I know a bunch of folks that do...and they miss TB a lot. As far as the profit level described by the Hodgdon rep, the explanation doesn't make a lot of sense. Pre-shortage they were selling TB in for the same price (mol) as other powders but in quantities that were a little over half as much as the other powders (IE - 9 oz vs 16 oz). Seems to me that profit level would be the same or better that the "easy" to manufacture powders.

• Like 3

I think the same as I thought when TB was introduced:  Why would I spend the same amount for 9 ounces of TB as I spend for a pound of Red Dot and use the same weight per cartridge?  Yep, I thought someone was blowing smoke up someone's kiester, and still are.  But, (no pun intended), some like that feeling...:P

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

I think the same as I thought when TB was introduced:  Why would I spend the same amount for 9 ounces of TB as I spend for a pound of Red Dot and use the same weight per cartridge?  Yep, I thought someone was blowing smoke up someone's kiester, and still are.  But, (no pun intended), some like that feeling...:P

For me and possibly many others, when new to cowboy action we soon also discovered we'd need to reload. We were told use Trailboss as it is good for CAS velocities, new reload-friendly in some ways, and was available everywhere for a reasonable price, so we did. We also discovered we really liked it and it was about perfect for 45 Colt due to its bulkiness in the case. So we got used to it. I still prefer it for CAS loadings in 45 Colt, 44 Special, 45-70, and 44-40, all when not using APP. I use several other powders for all my other handloading, but Trailboss for many of us, is still king for CAS.

• Like 4

I use Trailboss for...

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32-20
7.65 Nagant

.38 S&W

.38 Short Colt

.38 Long Colt

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.44 Special

.44-40

.44 Magnum

.45 ACP/Autorim

.45 Colt

.50-50 Spencer

.30-30

.30-40

.30-'06

7mm Mauser

8mm Mauser

.410 Shotshells using .444 Marlin Brass

.45-70

Might not be the best for any of them, but you can use it effectively in all of them.   It is also impossible to overcharge a case with Trailboss.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I use Trailboss for...

.32 S&W

.32 S&W Long

.32-20
7.65 Nagant

.38 S&W

.38 Short Colt

.38 Long Colt

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.44 Special

.44-40

.44 Magnum

.45 ACP/Autorim

.45 Colt

.50-50 Spencer

.30-30

.30-40

.30-'06

7mm Mauser

8mm Mauser

.410 Shotshells using .444 Marlin Brass

.45-70

Might not be the best for any of them, but you can use it effectively in all of them.   It is also impossible to overcharge a case with Trailboss.  

The horse and the mule were also indispensable at one time. Not so much now.

• Like 2

It was having to clean my Marlin after every match and only getting half the powder for the money that switched me to Clays or Clay-Dot. Now to Cleanshot due to availability.

If one has the money to burn, ignores the economics of its use, focuses solely on its sole good point, then all appears rosy, might be due to the glasses... 

• Like 1

When I started in CAS just over 3 years ago I ran out and rounded up all the trail boss I could find.  I loaded with it for a while, went through about two cans of it and switched to clays.  Trail boss is big and fluffy but that's about all it has going for it.  It doesn't flow worth a crap through my dillon powder measure, drops donuts everywhere and is pretty dirty.  I wouldn't buy it if it does come back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

The horse and the mule were also indispensable at one time. Not so much now.

And yet both animals have strengths the other does not.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 5:35 PM, Savvy Jack said:

I waited 15 "seasons" for 44-40 Winchester brass and JSP bullets, finally gave up years ago. To this day I have NEVER seen any factory 44-40 Winchester or Remington ammunition or components in any store I have ever been in.....LOL

Olde English gun shop here has a couple boxes of 44-40 federal I think, it's the anniversary or some special box and they want like 80 bucks each, man they know what they can do with that whole box....

1 hour ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Man I hope you guys get your doggone TB soon, as for unique, if we loose that, I'm gonna be hurtin

Alliant stated in writing that all their powders would be in short supply this year.  If you can buy Unique today I'd buy some.  (I already did.)

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:45 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well, I am gonna be in Ft Wayne Indiana in a couple of months.   That's about half way between Boston and Utah.  Can I meet you there?

I'll buy you lunch when you are here!

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll buy you lunch when you are here!

Good on you , Slim ! I hope H.K takes you up on it. I suspect he will be a fun pard to visit with.

I seldom travel 100 miles from my place  , he lives about 2400 miles from here. :lol:

Rex:D

• Like 1

i love3 these get togethers that work out - tell us how it goes when your done , ive only had a very few of these work out over the years but met some great folks along the way , 

• Like 1

With powders primers and bullets being hard to find today at a decent price. For my 45 colts and my 44-40s, I use a 200 gr. bullet and 6 gr. of American select, very soft shooting load. They list as a cowboy load. Just saying.

I used trail boss for a while, then I found Tite group, just gave away the last trail boss I had to a good pard, For sass I load 44 spc. 3.5 grains behind a 175 gr. Bullet . 44 Russian 3.5 gr. Behind a 175 gr. Bullet, and 38 spc. 3.5 gr. Behind a 105 gr. Bullet. I use a good crimp and love the way they shoot, fairly clean, very accurate and very mild recoil. Tite group is easy to find, cheaper, compared to most other powders and a pound goes a looooong way reloading. Forgot to add I use federal Small and large pistol primers. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 5:50 PM, ORNERY OAF said:

Man I hope you guys get your doggone TB soon, as for unique, if we loose that, I'm gonna be hurtin

On 1/25/2024 at 6:58 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Alliant stated in writing that all their powders would be in short supply this year.  If you can buy Unique today I'd buy some.  (I already did.)

Evidently MidSouth has 1 pounders of Unique @ $45 LB + shipping/hazmat.

Smokeless Powder for Sale | Reloading Powders | Midsouth Shooters (midsouthshooterssupply.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:16 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

It was having to clean my Marlin after every match and only getting half the powder for the money that switched me to Clays or Clay-Dot. Now to Cleanshot due to availability.

I ran into the same cleaning all the time with trail boss. When I started to run out of it, I tried Winchester 244 for.357 and I won’t go back. 
Laramie 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LEFTY MCDAVIS said:

Probably a dumb question, but what did everyone switch to after TrailBoss went extinct? 

Only a small percentage of shooters used TB. Most I know switched to Titegroup, Unique, Clay's, Red Dot, Promo, and other fast burning SG powders.

• Like 1

Clays and Clay-Dot, now Shooters World Cleanshot wayyy before TB went extinct. After the first jug, couldn't see the price nor the filth to stay with TB. Saw no advantage whatsoever! I'm shooting 45colt. Saving what I have left of Clays and Clay-Dot for SG. Tried Tite Group, but found it a bit snappy for my liking, but it worked fine.

16 minutes ago, LEFTY MCDAVIS said:

Probably a dumb question, but what did everyone switch to after TrailBoss went extinct? 

I used it till I ran out.

Had some Win231, and it lists loads for .45 Colt.  

Double charged a couple cases and lost 2 guns friends were using.

Nobody's fault but mine, but I am hesitant to keep using it.

• Sad 1

I don't really worry about double charging as I use a progressive SDB. If it once in a blue moon screws up and I have to remove the cases, the one with powder only, gets dumped back in the hopper and recharged. Has worked for me for over 30 years.

• Like 1

Use a powder Lock-out die like the RCBS model pictured.  We all make mistakes.  The lock-out die prevents both double- charges and squib loads.

image.png.70e3f432f5be2f754002434677dacec4.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Use a powder Lock-out die like the RCBS model pictured.  We all make mistakes.  The lock-out die prevents both double- charges and squib loads.

image.png.70e3f432f5be2f754002434677dacec4.png

Im trying to sock up all this information. I nevere thought Re-Loading would be so complex  To use one of these Powder Lock-Out Dies, DO you need a 8-10 station press? Or can they be used on a 5 station Hornady LnL AP?

Ok then I'll ask this question...WHat is everyone's favorite powder for 38spc and 45LC light CAS loads? And whats everyones favorite powder for the lite shotgun loads? Thanks so much for everyone's help, your knowledge is very humbling and extremely appreciated. 

30 minutes ago, LEFTY MCDAVIS said:

Ok then I'll ask this question...WHat is everyone's favorite powder for 38spc and 45LC light CAS loads? And whats everyones favorite powder for the lite shotgun loads? Thanks so much for everyone's help, your knowledge is very humbling and extremely appreciated. 

Trailboss for pretty much every pistol or rifle cartridge.  Red Dot for 12 Gauge.   Green Dot for 20 Gauge.

2 hours ago, LEFTY MCDAVIS said:

Im trying to sock up all this information. I nevere thought Re-Loading would be so complex  To use one of these Powder Lock-Out Dies, DO you need a 8-10 station press? Or can they be used on a 5 station Hornady LnL AP?

These dies work well on a five-station progressive press.  Some use them on a four-station press by seating and crimping on the final station.  Loading is not terribly complicated, but there are consequences for errors.  Two shooters at a match today had squib loads.  They both finished at the bottom of the match.  Alert TOs promptly stopped them and there were no injured shooters or damaged guns.

Regarding powder for light shotgun loads: I prefer Alliant Extra-Lite.  However, many faster burning shotgun powders work well too.  Perfect Pattern is gaining favor with local shooters.  I have no favorites for revolver loads, so many work well.  I shot American Select today just because I have some.  I load more black powder than anything else but those are not light loads.

Reloading powders are available now but not everyone can buy their favorites.  Load with what you can buy that will meet your needs.  Trail Boss and Clays have not been available for months.  Alliant warned reloaders that their powders would be scarce this year.  Hodgdon and Shooters World powders may be the only choices for many months.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971