SASS Wire Forum

Sporting Clays

I know some of you make your own smokeless shotgun shells.

When you run up to Walmart or your sporting goods store to buy smokeless shot shellz which ones do you buy?

Christmas

AA LNLR (low noise, low recoil). Although I have always made my own.

Sorry! Misread! So used to CAS related questions. As stated below, you want sumpin a bit hotter!

Remington STS Light Target.

For sporting clays I like 1 oz of  #7 1/2 in the 1200-1250 fps range

In the 1990s, I was privileged to be the family veterinarian for one of the top lady sporting clays competitors in the country.  About half her garage space was taken up with cases of factory ammo.  The practice time she put in was incredible.  I could not reload enough ammo to be a champion in sporting clays.  I hope you achieve your goals.

For SASS/CAS the Winchester LNLR is my choice.  Although I reload and prefer the Remington STS hulls, the LNLR are easier on the shoulder and quicker to get back on target.  For busting clays, I would usually stock up on dove loads that were on sale around the start of dove season.  They're usually cheapest and work OK for clays.  However, I only competed with my friends to see who would buy the beer on the way home.  

im mostly just shooting the remington gun clubs i bought on sale back around 2018 , mostly 1oz but some 11/8oz @ 23/4 dram , i seldome need a 3dram or more shot even though i have both 

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

AA LNLR (low noise, low recoil). Although I have always made my own.

This ^^^^^

Having never shot a round of Sporting Clays , al those ranges , have closed down around here , 

I was given to understand , some shots were pretty long and hard to hit , (smaller targets) 

I would get heavy dove or "promo" loads to shoot that game 

looks like a lot of fun , even tho , I would miss a bunch of the targets 

CB 

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

In the 1990s, I was privileged to be the family veterinarian for one of the top lady sporting clays competitors in the country.  About half her garage space was taken up with cases of factory ammo.  The practice time she put in was incredible.  I could not reload enough ammo to be a champion in sporting clays.  I hope you achieve your goals.

just straight up jollys

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This ^^^^^

Thanks!  Hiya Rye

Tried to PM you.  Send me one

For sporting clays anything less, for a 12 gauge,  than 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz @ 1150 fps is going to make things a lot harder.  The leads with slower loads becomes much larger and harder to judge.  

AA super sporting clays   1300 fps  

our cowboy range is hosted by Coyote Valley Sporting Clays  so I shoot clays a few times  month 

On 1/22/2024 at 5:47 PM, JD Lud said:

Is it really sporting?  I mean those poor clays are defenseless just minding their own business trying to fly off into the sunset.  

Yes, you are just putting them out of their little old misery before they hit the hard ground and shatter into a million pieces.

TM

I load about half of what I shoot and buy mostly promo target loads (Federal, Winchester and Gun Clubs) for the other half.  Tomorrow I'll be shooting Remington Clay & Field loads because I need the hulls for black powder rounds for EOT.  A lady shooter that shoots with me buys Nobel target loads in bulk in Phoenix and shoots them.  When I get good enough for registered matches I'll buy better ammo.

Archived