SASS Wire Forum

Safe queen age?

sassnetguy50

For myself on this. Nothing really set till this last year. My favorite range closed for one thing. Then age came creeping in so each month I been selling on Florida Trader or to friends. First my military and S&Ws. Then those that are higher end like Colts Diamondback, Pythons, and my Colt 2nd gen. SAs. Should be all gone except a few CAS items by next 4th July at the rate they are selling.

This summer I realized I had several guns in my collection that I have not ever got around to shooting them .

So I put in a shooting range on my property and started to rectify that issue .

I still have a few investments that are unfired but not many .

90% of what I have gets shot at some point or another. 

So many choices and so little time  :blush:

If I haven't shot a gun in two years or more, it's getting sold! I don't have any safe queens at the present moment!

Before the boating accident where we lost them all, we had guns for 2-5 years before being shot. I have two....err....I mean....a friend has two that he won at different shoots in 2018 that haven't been shot yet. 

I got only ONE.   Its an unfired, Colt Woodsman Match Target, 6".    No box or papers......just the pistol

and one magazine.

All the others get shot during the year, depending on my mood.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I got only ONE.   Its an unfired, Colt Woodsman Match Target, 6".    No box or papers......just the pistol

and one magazine.

All the others get shot during the year, depending on my mood.

..........Widder

You need a ceremony.  Get a bottle of your finest, shoot the hell out of that Colt, clean it and pour yourself a drink.

You will feel better.

:)

I've been selling off safe queens and others as I really can't get out any more. Eventually all but one will be gone. Remington single shot bolt action I got as an Xmas gift from my brother when I was 13.

I also think the market for buyers is going to drastically decline as the boomers die off. So sell now while they still want them.

I'm not selling anything.
I don't need the money, and I paid dearly in accumulated CA waiting period days.
I do believe that firearms will become so heavily regulated they will be for all practical purposes, extinct.

As of this writing, the most active gun buyer demographic is Jews.

45 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You need a ceremony.  Get a bottle of your finest, shoot the hell out of that Colt, clean it and pour yourself a drink.

You will feel better.

:)

Actually, I have 2 of them but only 1 has been determined as unfired.

So when I get the urge, I shoot the other one.  

I've thought about selling both of them because I shoot my Volquartsen Scorpions and my S&W model 41 

a lot.

..........Widder

I have a 1953 Colt Police Positive that is new in box, unfired.  I've had it about 25 years.  I have a Ruger 50th Anniversary 22 pistol new in box, unfired.  

I have multiple copies of similar guns to both of them.  

Other than that, a lot of my guns are in danger of being traded if they don't get shot in 12 months or so.

Very few of them ever reach that status.

I am a firm believer in shooting the guns I own. If I do not shoot a gun for a while, like a year, I take it to the range and shoot it. If I still like the gun I keep it and shoot it more often. If not, I clean it up and sell or trade it. 
I do have 2 rifles that I haven’t shot in well over a year. About 2 years ago I took them to the range and fired them and decided to hold on to them. I really wouldn’t call them “safe queens”. They’re more like fun guns that don’t get used enough. One is a single shot .22. I have a great niece that I think will like it once she grows out of her Papoose .22. 
The other is my 45-70 Henry Single Shot. I am fixin’ to do some reloading for it soon and it may go deer hunting with me one or two days this year. 

I would like to add that I know guys that have left a gun in their safe for a long time then decided to sell it only to regret it later.

One thing I always tell people is; If you don’t think you want a gun any longer take it to the range and shoot it, bring it home and clean it. Put it back in your safe and in a month if you still no longer want it, then sell it. 

I have some I seem to never find the time to shoot, but really only one I choose not to shoot. It's a crown grade LC Smith SBT. It's 34" barrel with release trigger. Tons of engraving on it and it looks brand new. It's made 1919 and is the first of 5 manufactured. It sold for around 179.00 in 1919. It's one of my favorite shotguns to get out and fondle.

40 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have a Ruger 50th Anniversary 22 pistol new in box, unfired

I had one of them. Bought it to fund my retirement. Bought it, put it in the safe, leave it alone. Unfired new in box it will be worth a fortune.

Several years after I bought it I checked the going price. It was worth $5 more than what I had paid for it.

So I gave it to my daughter. I get more fun out of this

AmelieRuger1.thumb.JPG.94c0a22f25625c78bd430bf558009d76.JPG

SolanaRuger1.thumb.JPG.62c92d3eb2710e06d7bb2d1835c262ce.JPG

than I ever did out of having it in the safe.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

I would like to add that I know guys that have left a gun in their safe for a long time then decided to sell it only to regret it later.

One thing I always tell people is; If you don’t think you want a gun any longer take it to the range and shoot it, bring it home and clean it. Put it back in your safe and in a month if you still no longer want it, then sell it. 

That is a good idea, I've been one of those who regrets selling about 2 years after the sale.  There have been some sold that needed to go, as age led to a worsening shoulder telling me dangerous game magnums will not be tolerated.

I have at least two rifles I bought at closeout prices w/employee discount fourteen years ago when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse that have never been fired, a Stevens 200 .25-06 and a T/C Icon .308 w/three piece laminated stock.

This Gyrojet shows no sign of ever being shot, and with ammo commonly at $300 ea, I probably never will. The COP doesn't appear to have ever been fired, and I really don't have an excuse - they're a little uncommon, and kind of pricy anymore, but not so much so that a person would stash it away as a collector's item or investment. There may be more, but these four are what came immediately to mind as being unfired.

My collection has gotten really out of hand over the years, and now I often pick one or two out on a whim and put them on here or Gunbroker. I'll be in my 69th year in February, and this stuff really has to go so my kids don't have to deal with it.

Gyrojet.JPG.27debe29ba3328a1f7cb8c731c515104.JPG

599392097_COP001.jpg.b125f660e3c69b042fb8f6c17dd4c91a.jpg

I now have started buying my Grandkids firearms. :rolleyes:

More things for me to play with till the Grandkids  get them .

Or I die off and Sons  get them all.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I had one of them. Bought it to fund my retirement. Bought it, put it in the safe, leave it alone. Unfired new in box it will be worth a fortune.

Several years after I bought it I checked the going price. It was worth $5 more than what I had paid for it.

So I gave it to my daughter. I get more fun out of this

AmelieRuger1.thumb.JPG.94c0a22f25625c78bd430bf558009d76.JPG

SolanaRuger1.thumb.JPG.62c92d3eb2710e06d7bb2d1835c262ce.JPG

than I ever did out of having it in the safe.

That's awesome!  If one of my kids or grandkids showed any desire in shooting, i'd unbox mine.

I believe in starting them young. I started my daughter when she was 11.

Garand2.jpg.94ff704b9a34500946a20a17b17c5584.jpg

Husky16Fandango20051.jpg.ad268062615958ce3dc6c8cb3b8da72c.jpg

The oldest girl - this was her fifth birthday.

2008BirthdayPresent.jpg.6ecbe83e81e4529a0a44b923f287b4b6.jpg

And the younger girl - the blonde - in that picture with the pistol and her daddy she's four.

55 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I believe in starting them young. I started my daughter when she was 11.

Garand2.jpg.94ff704b9a34500946a20a17b17c5584.jpg

Husky16Fandango20051.jpg.ad268062615958ce3dc6c8cb3b8da72c.jpg

The oldest girl - this was her fifth birthday.

2008BirthdayPresent.jpg.6ecbe83e81e4529a0a44b923f287b4b6.jpg

And the younger girl - the blonde - in that picture with the pistol and her daddy she's four.

Both of mine started around 6 years old.  The daughter quit being interested when she discovered boys.  The son quit when he got a drivers license.  Neither one has shown any interest since.  I do have a couple of grandsons who may be interested.  But they both live 2500 miles away.

My youngest grand daughter is 15, and her Dad (USN captain) takes her to the range very regularly.
She is a Freshman at a private Catholic high school, and doing Junior level math and Latin work.

The next one is age 16, and just itching to go shooting.
I plan to start her day with 22s, then move up through 357, the new 45 ACP and finish with some mild 44 mag loads just for bragging rights.

She also drives stick shift, loves country music and wants to do college in Texas and buy a truck.

Archived