SASS Wire Forum

Shelf life of black powder cartridges?

Shale Mine Mort

I have read in Shooting. Magazines where they have shot Black Powder loads from the 1870's.

I have shoot Black Powder that i loaded 30 tears ago that i forgot about. No problem.

i live in the Midwest. The humidity here can be brutal. 

I reload in the Basement, there is a dehumidifier.

Indefinite.  If loaded in a semi-controlled climate with a good tight crimp on the projectile > > > > You won't live long enough to even begin to run into the shelf life.

One word of caution.  If you load with a lubed wad, the shelf life can be effected.  I recently found a box of.45 Colt BP cartridges that I had loaded a couple of years ago.  They all fired and hit the targets, but the recoil was different, (reduced) the report was not as loud, and they produced more flame and smoke.

I’d used Goex FFFg, 200gr RNFP bullets, Federal standard large pistol primer, and a 1/8” lubed Wonder Wad.  I figure that the lube in the wad probably somewhat contaminated the powder.

If you're casting & lubing your own bullets, make sure you wipe any lube that will find it's way onto the base of your bullet.  If you plan on a grease cookie, use a tight fitting waxed card over the powder and under the bullet,  This keeps lube from migrating into the powder and sticking to the base of the bullet.  Probably more with the rifle cartridges than the pistol cartridges used in main match rounds.

Lasr=tly, store your loaded rounds nose down.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Lasr=tly, store your loaded rounds nose down.

This ^^^^

36 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

You can't fit as much black powder in the cartridge!   :D

But, but, but...  ya only need the bullet to go 30-35' and make a chunk of steel "ding"!   It ain't like you're gonna get any extra penetration!

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

But, but, but...  ya only need the bullet to go 30-35' and make a chunk of steel "ding"!   It ain't like you're gonna get any extra penetration!

No but if they go poof-ting instead of BOOM-CLANG some of us will make fun…

1 hour ago, Jackalope said:

You can't fit as much black powder in the cartridge!   :D

Unless you’re tamping your powder a couple of times before you put your bullet in!:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Shale Mine Mort said:

I'm thinking about loading up some black powder cartridges over the off season.  My question is, how long will they store and still reliably fire?

I loaded hundreds of my 45s, 357s, and 38s, left them in an outdoor Arizona storage unit for 2 years. I've been shooting them in my monthlies for the last couple matches and they still perform as if they came right off the press.

If anything, mine have "seasoned" up a bit more. ;)

Like others have said.  Nose down in the box.  Some of 'em have waxed cards...some don't. -_-

They're probably gonna outlast alot of us before any shelving life kicks in.

2 hours ago, Mercy Me said:

as long as you have it stored correctly it will last forever!!! i have all my blackpowder in a seperate box from my smokeless for the simple fact is if im in a hurry to work up so loads for the range i get the right powder.

I have no problem designating my Black from the smokeless.  At monthlies I shoot 38 Spl smokeless.  Everything else is 44-40 loaded with a lot of Black Powder.

They will last forever (no lubed wad, SPG or similar in the projectile gooves). Nose down storage is always good, but if stored in a cool dry environment it should be no problem however they are positioned.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

They will last forever (no lubed wad, SPG or similar in the projectile gooves). Nose down storage is always good, but if stored in a cool dry environment it should be no problem however they are positioned.

Gunner. Are you saying they will last forever if you don't use bp softer lube in the lube groove? If you're shooting real bp what other lube would you use? I could see the lubed wad being possibly more of a problem. It's not a difficult thing to box your ammo nose down to be on the safe side if the lube might migrate a little. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Gunner. Are you saying they will last forever if you don't use bp softer lube in the lube groove? If you're shooting real bp what other lube would you use? I could see the lubed wad being possibly more of a problem. It's not a difficult thing to box your ammo nose down to be on the safe side if the lube might migrate a little. 

Soory to chime in late as I don't frequent the Wire much - I meant in my post that if you have SPG or similar libe in the grooves of the projectile you are fine for many many years. Load 'em up at age 18 and shoot'em at age 108. Same affect. it's the lubed wad that might cause inconsistent ignition over time.

If you use fillers such as COW, it can contaminate the powder rendering them useless. I had found some old reloads in the cabinet once. Tried them out and multiple failed to fire. 
I pulled apart and the powder and COW had solidified and bonded to the case.

Filler loads was foolish path I went down in my short lived efforts in CAS. The shorter cases such as 44 Russia, 45 Cowboy answers those wanting to reduce loads much more effectively. Filler loads for 38-40 and 44-40 is sacrilege.

Archived