SASS Wire Forum

Snakes and More Snakes

Yul Lose

Coming back to the house from the shop just now this one was right outside the garage door on the patio. Had a guy working for me on Saturday that killed 2 of them.

BDD42885-AB26-4E82-9D2B-9CCB0224D81F.jpeg

I just want to know how you can hold the camera steady while holding a gun in the other hand?

OR..... does your shotgun have a GoPro mounted on it?

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

How did you dispatch it?

Yep, garden hoe.

i dont care for snakes , if they stay away they are safe , if not ......they are dead , i know they have a purpose , they just have to do it away from my home 

Guest BigBelle
39 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i dont care for snakes , if they stay away they are safe , if not ......they are dead , i know they have a purpose , they just have to do it away from my home 

I hate snakesss.

40 minutes ago, BigBelle said:

I hate snakesss.

one of my good friends feels the same - big man but can be reduced to a little girl in the wrong snake situation , i dont have quite that issue but id rather eat them than entertain one .............im not reall fond of eating them either as there were a lot of bones in the one i ate , like eating a poorly cleaned northern pike , not fun - but it tasted good 

Honestly, snakes fascinate me. They always have. I don’t or wouldn’t kill non poisonous snakes. I would relocate them if they are somewhere I don’t want them. 
What I do or have done with poisonous snakes depends. If near the home, they would die. If encountered in the wild I would only harm them if they are a threat. 

Water Moccasins are the only snakes I truly dislike. They are aggressive. So are Mojave Green rattlesnakes. I killed one of those years ago. It actually changed course and came at us on a camping / shooting trip with my daughter and my friend and his son. I saw it about 40’ away heading west. It spotted us and changed course heading north coming right towards us. Two rounds from my coachgun fixed that problem. 

If I had rattler issues like Yul’s frequent encounters I would not be so forgiving of the snakes. Since one can’t buy a Taurus Judge or an S&W Governor in CA I might pick me up 2 or 3 of those cheap .410 single shot shotguns and distribute them in my home, workshop and out buildings. 

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I had rattler issues like Yul’s ..........

Rattlesnake?

To me, that thing looks like one of them King Anacobra or one of them Giant Ribbon Bambo Vipers.

Ya gotta be cautious about all of them.

..........Widder

28 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Rattlesnake?

To me, that thing looks like one of them King Anacobra or one of them Giant Ribbon Bambo Vipers.

Ya gotta be cautious about all of them.

..........Widder

So, you’re all for going “Rambo on the Bambo”? :D

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Honestly, snakes fascinate me. They always have. I don’t or wouldn’t kill non poisonous snakes. I would relocate them if they are somewhere I don’t want them. 
What I do or have done with poisonous snakes depends. If near the home, they would die. If encountered in the wild I would only harm them if they are a threat. 

Water Moccasins are the only snakes I truly dislike. They are aggressive. So are Mojave Green rattlesnakes. I killed one of those years ago. It actually changed course and came at us on a camping / shooting trip with my daughter and my friend and his son. I saw it about 40’ away heading west. It spotted us and changed course heading north coming right towards us. Two rounds from my coachgun fixed that problem. 

If I had rattler issues like Yul’s frequent encounters I would not be so forgiving of the snakes. Since one can’t buy a Taurus Judge or an S&W Governor in CA I might pick me up 2 or 3 of those cheap .410 single shot shotguns and distribute them in my home, workshop and out buildings. 

I’ve lived in this house for 33 years now and for the first 20 years or so I never saw a rattlesnake but over the last few years that’s changed a lot. I don’t even post all of our snake encounters. My wife was moving the trash cans around last Friday and there was one under one of them and I killed it too.

27 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve lived in this house for 33 years now and for the first 20 years or so I never saw a rattlesnake but over the last few years that’s changed a lot. I don’t even post all of our snake encounters. My wife was moving the trash cans around last Friday and there was one under one of them and I killed it too.

I wonder if a food source went away?

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Water has become so expensive that citrus growers and a lot of avocado growers have abandoned their groves. Right across the street from me is a 30 acre citrus and avocado farm and it hasn’t been cared for in years and I’m pretty sure that’s one of the reasons we have so many snakes. The guys that used to manage and tend the groves would kill the rattlesnakes and since they’re not working the groves anymore the snake population has increased dramatically. Most of the snakes that I see on the road and lower driveway are coming from that direction. I have 2 live streams on my place and they’re probably seeking water because the watering has been shut off on the groves for years.

I have read that over 70% of bites occur to people handling or trying to kill them.   So they say leaving them alone is the best thing to do. ( But snake lovers are the ones saying that.)

Personally, if I run into them on my ranch or in populated areas, the .22 rifle, .410 shotgun,  flat bladed shovel or McCloed hoe comes out.   

Just realize that in defense, they often will attack-- coming at you much faster than you expect. Your instinct is to back away in retreat.  If/when you trip and fall you're likely to get bit. 

I first semi-disable them with a fast series of very firm chops at the main body.  ( The head is very hard to isolate with a shovel or hoe because they keep it withdrawn over the body).  I keep my snake implements sharp.  And yes, I do run into yard-long-plus  rattlesnakes often in my spring and summer logging and brush clearing work around the ranch.   They can't bite through my Whites boots, but I have to be very careful where I poke my hands in and under logs when cabling or chaining. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I'm betting Yul doesn't have much of a problem with rats or mice.

11 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

My wife won't even look at pictures of snakes, she hates them so.  She even considers lizards to be snakes with legs.

Did you save the rattle?

Didn’t save the rattle, this was a very young snake and it was just a small nub.

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve lived in this house for 33 years now and for the first 20 years or so I never saw a rattlesnake but over the last few years that’s changed a lot............................................

Any chance you have a snake den nearby?

Perhaps they are checking on gun cart orders to see if any are covered in snake skin.

7 minutes ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Any chance you have a snake den nearby?

Perhaps they are checking on gun cart orders to see if any are covered in snake skin.

Pretty sure there are a few snake dens across the road in the old groves. I’ve seen hawks swoop down and take off with some pretty good sized snakes out of there over the last few years.

Living the south we have cane brake rattlers. Neighbors wife got bite on the hand. They moved from the city and don't understand that out in the country you have to check before you reach under stuff here.

About 20 years ago or so I heard someone screaming and yelling when I was out at the shop. I kept hearing it so I crossed the road to check it out. A man named Miguel who worked in the grove was trapped under his ATV that had turned over on him. I couldn’t get it off of him without hurting him further so I called 911 and the fire department came and got it off of him and got him to the hospital. He was in there a few days with a broken arm and ribs and when he got out his wife brought him over to thank me for saving him, anyway over the next few years we became pretty good friends. He would show up at the shop on occasion with some pretty big rattlesnakes that he had killed in the grove. I had some pictures that I’d taken but I can’t find them to post them. One that I remember is him holding a dead rattler that measured a little over 4 feet long and looked about as fat as a mason jar. 

Yul, you might consider setting out some tubular sticky traps sized for rattlesnakes.  I've used them and they do work surprisingly well.   The head and front few inches gets stuck tight.  You just lay the cardboard tube out in the driveway and let your tires do the rest (or get a shovel)

Don't bother trying to drown a rattler.  They can survive for days underwater, absorbing oxygen via their skin capillaries.   (Don't ask how I learned that!)

Archived