SASS Wire Forum

Interesting mass shooting data

https://rockinst.org/gun-violence/mass-shooting-factsheet/

So it's NOT people under 21 that commit most of these shootings! Hmmm......

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So it's NOT people under 21 that commit most of these shootings!

While this is probably true, you cannot conclude that from that statistics. An average value (average age) tells very little about the data. Just saying...

Edit

An example of ten people: six 19 yr olds, one 40, one 50, one 60, and one 70 yr old would result in an average of 33.4

44 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

While this is probably true, you cannot conclude that from that statistics. An average value (average age) tells very little about the data. Just saying...

Edit

An example of ten people: six 19 yr olds, one 40, one 50, one 60, and one 70 yr old would result in an average of 33.4

Good point, and how statistics can lie.

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Edit

True but the leftists anti gunners use their statistics to get the opposite story! That's why I posted this. I think it shows that not all shooters are 18 and under which the left leads you to believe so they can raise the age to 21 to buy a rifle using their statistics!

2 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:
3 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Actually, Statistics are mathematical equations which know nothing of truth or lies.  They produce specific 

answers to specific  questions, based on how the questions are asked and how data are presented to them.  They are often misused by liars who attempt to ask the questions in ways which will produce answers that support particular agendas, then try to present  the statistical results as "data".  But analysis results are not "data".  The dishonesty and/or ignorance is in the user's, not in the mathematics. 

The science of Statistics is simply a tool for sensibly organizing and analyzing data, not for creating it.  

Following the logic of some in this country under 21 should not be allowed to own a gun. 

Let’s take this further. 
They should not be allowed to:

Vote

Join the military

Drink

Drive cars

Take out student loans 

Take out any loans 

I wonder who will vote in certain party members?

I wonder who would fight their wars for them?
I wonder who they could pander to regarding student loans and debt?

51 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Following the logic of some in this country under 21 should not be allowed to own a gun. 

Let’s take this further. 

Vote

Join the military

Drink

Drive cars

Take out student loans 

Take out any loans 

I've said that for years regarding people who are allowed to serve in the military, but can't legally drink or smoke.  If you are allowed to do one thing, you should be able to do any of them.  If any are prohibited because of age, they should all be.

26 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've said that for years regarding people who are allowed to serve in the military, but can't legally drink or smoke.  If you are allowed to do one thing, you should be able to do any of them.  If any are prohibited because of age, they should all be.

Put together a petition on this and I'll sign it!  If you're not mature enough to decide to drink or smoke, you're not mature enough to sign on the dotted line to potentially sacrifice your life.

I'm really on the fence on "should 18 year olds be able to join the military".    On one hand, I'd say they're too young to realize what they're getting themselves into (in general).   On the other hand - so many of them need it.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Either you are mature enough to be responsible or you are not.  

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Let’s take this further. 

Vote

Join the military

Drink

Drive cars

Take out student loans 

Take out any loans 

Get married

Be able to use any contract

Have any job outside the home or family business

Fly airplanes

Have a hunting or fishing license

Drive a boat of any kind

Borrow or lend money

Have any investments in their own name

Hold any public office

Travel out of state without an adult supervising

Attend any college without adult supervision

Someone suggested a 21 year old age limit in out local newspaper about seven years ago.  I responded very much like the above and it got printed.

Last week a similar letter showed up and I took a copy of my letter into the editor and was told that it would have to be approved by a committee, but it was unlikely to be accepted because "it is belligerent and combative." 

Wonder what the statute of limitations is for printing the letter back when.

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

Interesting fact:  one is not allowed to rent a car if under age 25.

You'd think that they would rent a 25+ year old car to anybody.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rockefeller statistics don't mean anything...

For instance, they don't correlate "mass shootings" to population.  They don't tell you that no one really kept nationwide statistics for the periods preceding.   

The population at 1960 was 179,323,175  and the population in 2020 was 331,449,281 an increase of over 159 million!

On 6/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ranger Dan said:

No, not really.  The stats themselves are just math.  The problem is that liars set up the questions and data cherry picking to get the answers that they want to get.

I don’t know how the above got posted. Must be fumble fingered.

I believe the math below is correct, however, the tittle speaks for itself.

HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS!!

From McCandless post:

US Population:

1960 - 179,323,175

2020 - 331,449,281

Mass Shootings from Rockefeller Report:

1966 - 1975 12 mass shootings

Analysis of mass shootings/individual for 9 year period ending 1975.

12/179323175 = .0000000669 MS/I

2011 - 2020  160 mass shootings

Analysis of mass shootings/individual for 9 year period ending 2020.

160/331449281 = .000000483 MS/I

Analysis of increased rate of Mass Shootings from 1975 to 2020

(.000000483 - 0000000669)/.0000000669 = .062197

.062197 X 100 = 6.2197% increase in MS/I from 1975 to 2020

What does this mean?

Not a D**mn thing as the data used is random not coordinated.

HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS!!

I took that course in Engineering College. The course was titled, HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS, and the text book was titled the same. I course designed to instruct Engineering Students on how to get meaningful and accurate results, not how to support our cockamamie theories!

CJ

I once told a client asking about doing a survey, 'you give me $50,000 tell me what outcome you want, and I'll get you there'!

A post the other day, 65% of Americans favor abortion. OK where was the survey taken? Oregon, San Francisco...you all understand surveys are worthless.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Let’s take this further. 

Vote

Join the military

Drink

Drive cars

Take out student loans 

Take out any loans 

In MA, you must be 21 to drink or buy alcoholic beverages, to take out a student loan (or any loan), or to enter into any legally binding contract.  Frankly, I do not have a problem with making 21 the "universal" age of consent, including for military service.  

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

In MA, you must be 21 to drink or buy alcoholic beverages, to take out a student loan (or any loan), or to enter into any legally binding contract.  Frankly, I do not have a problem with making 21 the "universal" age of consent, including for military service.  

LL

I agree! 

Archived