SASS Wire Forum

The 97 and WWI

Imagine, if you will, a handful of SASS Shooters suddenly transported back to World War One, each of them armed with a 97 Trench gun.

Combat ensues.

While the magazines on the guns would have been stoked prior to engagement, can you imagine how after running the magazines dry, that the other doughboys would watch in open mouth amazement at how fast the SASS shooters continue their rate of fire reloading one at a time?  :) 

42 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Imagine, if you will, a handful of SASS Shooters suddenly transported back to World War One, each of them armed with a 97 Trench gun.

Combat ensues.

While the magazines on the guns would have been stoked prior to engagement, can you imagine how after running the magazines dry, that the other doughboys would watch in open mouth amazement at how fast the SASS shooters continue their rate of fire reloading one at a time?  :) 

The ones who had shotguns would probably amaze you.  In WWI, Americans were notable shooters.  One of the intended uses of the shotguns was to shoot grenades in the air like skeet, apparently that  worked on occasion.  Be a nice event, be easy enough to make a mold of a dummy grenade and freeze up ice targets, like the glass ball targets of turn of the century exhibition shooters without the mess.

52 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The Germans were so upset by the use of the 97 trench guns that they said that any Allied soldier caught with one would be executed forthwith! Don't know if that actually happened, though. :o

Yeah, they made that threat.    The US responded essentially by saying if you do that, we'll start shooting German POW's.   The German's never made good on the threat.

7 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Combat ensues.

That's interesting.  When trying the three gun game, I bought an extension for my M1200 to bring the total to 9.  After firing my 9 shots, I started grabbing two at a time, loading over the top and finished the scenario.  When I finished I have several shooters come up to me and asked how many rounds my gun held.  When I told them 9, they said, but you engaged all 16 targets and never stopped to reload.  Next time I shot all eyes were on me to see what my secret was.

2 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

That's interesting.  When trying the three gun game, I bought an extension for my M1200 to bring the total to 9.  After firing my 9 shots, I started grabbing two at a time, loading over the top and finished the scenario.  When I finished I have several shooters come up to me and asked how many rounds my gun held.  When I told them 9, they said, but you engaged all 16 targets and never stopped to reload.  Next time I shot all eyes were on me to see what my secret was.

I tried to explain loading over the top to a 3 gun shooter a couple of weeks ago and he looked at me like I was speaking in tongues.  He just couldn't grasp the idea of single loading like that.

2 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

No offense, but am I correct in assuming that no one was shooting live rounds at you as you performed your legerdemain?

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

The ones who had shotguns would probably amaze you.  In WWI, Americans were notable shooters.  One of the intended uses of the shotguns was to shoot grenades in the air like skeet, apparently that  worked on occasion.  Be a nice event, be easy enough to make a mold of a dummy grenade and freeze up ice targets, like the glass ball targets of turn of the century exhibition shooters without the mess.

This should be a Wild Bunch side match.

I have always thought it silly that 97’s were allowed in CAS in the first place, but since they are I find it sillier that one cannot shoot them the way they are meant to be shot. Just like the stupid rule in Wild Bunch where they only loaded 5 in a 1911. At least that was changed. 

4 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Better yet, a tank

Rob

Do you really want to be near a noisy, smoky, moving foxhole?  Those things tend catch the enemy's eye and a bullet that can stop a tank can do serious damage to a man.....not to mention slugs ricocheting of that steel turtle.

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

And then there is the very rare - 

image.png.68235a3d97c228f00ee6e3d5054c42da.png

Not that rare.   In fact, it's the same bayonet that the M1917 American Enfield rifle used.   Why it used that instead of the Springfield bayonet, I don't know.

And, believe it or not it is STILL the bayonet that is used on modern issue shotguns in the army to this day!

And yes, I have one to go with my reproduction 97 trench gun.  The bayonet is a "real" one, and I got it for less than 50 bucks.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Not that rare

I wondered if he was making a funny. Because it says that this bayonet is for the "1917 Enfield trench shotgun".

Maybe if there was a comma, or the word "and" in there that would not appear to be such a dumbass statement.

1917 Enfield, trench shotgun

1917 Enfield and trench shotgun

U.S. gunmakers were under contract with the UK making the P 14 303 Rifle for WWI.  When the U.S. entered the war they modified the design slightly and produced the P 17 in 30-06. AFAIK, the bayonet remained the same. The mount for the shotgun was designed to take a bayonet already available.

Archived