SASS Wire Forum

Ah, those were the days...

Just now, Doc Shapiro said:

Not of a strawberry flavored one.  Yuck

4 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Same here, except we preferred chocolate.

Chocolate for me also.

My Great Grandmother used to make us chocolate milk when I was a little kid. The first time I tried to make one for myself and my Great Grandmother, I discovered that there is a BIG difference between the can of powdered cocoa and powdered chocolate milk mix...A BIG DIFFERENCE.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Chocolate for me also.

My Great Grandmother used to make us chocolate milk when I was a little kid. The first time I tried to make one for myself and my Great Grandmother, I discovered that there is a BIG difference between the can of powdered cocoa and powdered chocolate milk mix...A BIG DIFFERENCE.

You ain't the only one!

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Chocolate for me also.

Danged near turned your mouth inside out, didn't it?  I think just about every American kid does that at least once.

Couldn't stand the "strawberry" flavored stuff.  Tasted the way a chemistry set smells.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

image.png.2d2c3b17ae940529424b6a9eb50480a8.png

A couple of months ago I bought a tin of corned beef because I saw that it had a key to open it.  Wasn't too bad.

Ok.  Try this one on.    I have what looks like a bottle cap the size of a half dollar.  On the bottom is a 5/16 in point...   Push down over a soda bottle then insert the straw thru the hole.    GW

No picture for this, but...

When I was a little kid (mid-1950's) bottle caps had a cork insert.  We would find a sharp object and pry the cork free.  Then, we'd place the cap on the outside of our t-shirt and press the cork back into the cap - but from the inside of our shirt.

Voila ~ instant Orange Fanta or Grape Nehi badge!  :lol:

image.png.33ab60de895916fafbb463174a683103.png                 Image 1 - 1950s Minnesota Melrose Thiers Nehi Bottling GRAPE Soda Cork Crown

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Chocolate for me also.

I had this thing of sneaking into the kitchen and taking a spoon full of Nestle’s Quick and just putting it in my mouth. One day I found the Hershey’s Cocoa Powder and I thought it was gonna be great!

Damn near gagged to death. I thought my Mom was going to pee her pants laughing. I remember her laughing and saying “See what you get?”

Man, that was awful…and I had coughed it up into my nose and sinuses. Whew! Never made that mistake again. :lol:

Going off on a tangent - speaking of cocoa powder.

We're in the grocery store one December, getting the stuff ready for holiday baking. I've already got six or seven bags of Nestles toll house chips, and I tell my wife I need some cocoa. She goes over to the shelf and comes back with something, and I told her, NO. I DON'T USE THAT JUNK. HERSHEY'S. And she takes whatever she had picked up back and brings back the can of Hershey's.

And this couple walked up to me and the lady thanked me. I asked her why, and she said that she and her husband were long haul truck drivers. For Hershey's. And she appreciated what she heard me tell my wife. :)

Guess she didn't see those half dozen bags of Nestle's chocolate chips in the buggy. :lol:

Can't believe none of you old timers hasn't mentioned Ovaltine       GW

15 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1640265457432.jpg.58658ed7776e2e2e67ee3f9ab56f97d5.jpg

Yes but....Strawberry ??? Really??? I hated that stuff!:P

I've never had the strawberry, just chocolate. Seems like they either used to make, or they make currently, banana flavored. Now if it was just banana flavored milk, that sounds nasty but if they mix the chocolate and the banana together - that sounds pretty good.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had this thing of sneaking into the kitchen and taking a spoon full of Nestle’s Quick and just putting it in my mouth. One day I found the Hershey’s Cocoa Powder and I thought it was gonna be great!

Damn near gagged to death. I thought my Mom was going to pee her pants laughing. I remember her laughing and saying “See what you get?”

Man, that was awful…and I had coughed it up into my nose and sinuses. Whew! Never made that mistake again. :lol:

Too funny, I used to do the same thing. Always worried that the lid might pop off and make noise, then I'd be discovered. Never mixed up the cocoa with the Quick after the first time. We used to put it on vanilla ice cream also. Always loved mixing the milk and the Quick so that it made the "chocolate dots" on the top.

Gotta say, this thread brings back memories and they feel good to remember.

I remember once finding a large bar of bakers chocolate in an upper cabinet. Now there's some nasty bitter chocolate!:D

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Been there done that

Quick story.  My dad was youngest of 5.  Had to walk just over a mile to the one room country school.  He got a lot of hell.   He had drank all of their Ovaltine that Mom had sent with them to school for lunch.  Later I went to the same school but luckily I didn;t have to walk.   One room, 6 kids,  till 7th grade when closed and sent to town for school.  Sure got to hate riding bus.     Memories of of Ovalatine   Thanks for listening     Having hard times      GW

Archived