SASS Wire Forum

Some things look better than they are...

A few months ago, I let a business owner tempt me into going  work for him full time managing a gun shop.  That had been a dream of mine for a lot of years.

The owner lost his full time job shortly after that, and became my full time boss.  Inconsistency in direction, contradictory orders from him and his co-owner wife, and demands that I be willing to put in significantly more time than I was compensated for. Conditions deteriorated to intolerable, with unreasonable demands and during a heated discussion initiated by him in front of customers, I quit.  

Financially, I don't have to work. But I'm going to have to pick up something to keep me entertained.  I'll probably go back to working part time at one of the local Police Departments, or pick up some part time work at one of the other gun stores in the area.  

20 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

A few months ago, I let a business owner tempt me into going  work for him full time managing a gun shop.  That had been a dream of mine for a lot of years.

The owner lost his full time job shortly after that, and became my full time boss.  Inconsistency in direction, contradictory orders from him and his co-owner wife, and demands that I be willing to put in significantly more time than I was compensated for. Conditions deteriorated to intolerable, with unreasonable demands and during a heated discussion initiated by him in front of customers, I quit.  

Financially, I don't have to work. But I'm going to have to pick up something to keep me entertained.  I'll probably go back to working part time at one of the local Police Departments, or pick up some part time work at one of the other gun stores in the area.  

Be glad you're in that position, I'm currently dealing with a boss that doesn't like me, doesn't give me the benefit of the doubt and never even recognizes that it might be her that is at fault.  It could be much worse, you could have to stay and work under those conditions to pay the bills.

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

Be glad your in that position, I'm currently dealing with a boss that doesn't like me, doesn't give me the benefit of the doubt and never even recognizes that it might be her that is at fault.

Been there before!! Especially when they have absolutely no idea what your job even involves!

Sent that to my last boss as I retired and quit!!

On 5/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, Chantry said:

Be glad you're in that position, I'm currently dealing with a boss that doesn't like me, doesn't give me the benefit of the doubt and never even recognizes that it might be her that is at fault.  It could be much worse, you could have to stay and work under those conditions to pay the bills.

I had all those problems and more.  No time off for illness or vacation, very long hours with no set schedule, wasn't considered an employee, interrupted my daily life all the time, no compensation for out of pocket expenses, cut into my meal time, had to pay for my own insurance and medical expenses, drove my own car without money for fuel and maintenance, I had to dress professionally and pay my own cleaning bills,  there was no retirement plan except what I paid for myself, and the boss was sleeping with my wife.

After eleven years of this abuse I took and early retirement.

Those are the perils of self employment.

50 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

As you know from your law enforcement experience, stress will amplify the dominant natural character of most people.  My guess is the emotional and financial stress of job loss has spun up both co-owners.  It sucks, but I'm happy you have options.

The voices in my head keep me sufficiently entertained. 

Lawman Mark,

You have worked hard all your life under a boss.  You have earned independence.  If you need to be entertained during retirement, trust your instincts and do something that avoids close supervision.  Take your time, you will find it.

I was a practicing veterinarian for 24 years.  I told maybe 4 clients that I would no longer provide service to them and their pets.  The feeling of freedom is exhilarating!  :)

Lesson is...if you hire someone to do a job, then let them do it. 

He hired you to manage the shop. 

He lost his job, and then he showed up and became boss. 

There cannot be two bosses. Two sets of ideas about things. Two ways to run things. 

His shop, he is there all the time. That signals it is time, indeed past time, to move on. 

9 hours ago, Chantry said:

Me too. Almost puked at the thought of going in today. Toxic.

13 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Me too. Almost puked at the thought of going in today. Toxic.

I try to take things one day at a time and make sure I document anything & everything I need to CMA.  And don't rule out involving HR.

I can relate to things not being what they seem. When I was younger and dumber (still a bit of both) in Los Angeles I started a career in hollywood. I got a job as a 1st assistant director on a shoot. Producer liked me and brought me on to all of her projects. Sometimes the directors were humble, sometimes they were toxic. One shoot, they had the entire crew out in the Mojave for an overnight, it gets below freezing there come 2am, with a lot of wind chill to boot. For a crew of 40 people they had one trailer with heat in it, I had planned originally on giving crew 10 minute breaks in shifts in the heat to thaw out. But the director holed himself and the lead actor in there the entire night and refused to let anyone else in. I walked in on them bumping a line and he threatened to end my career if I talked. The crew and myself spent the next 10 hours freezing. Another time I had a famous producer throw a tantrum and throw a plate of salad at me because "it wasnt chopped enough".

After 5 years of working up the ladder I made the decision to quit. It seemed like I was giving up, and I wasn't financially secure which was scary, but I felt gross being around these people, and was afraid I'd turn into them. I took a volunteer position at a non-profit to keep busy while I figured out my next move, and they ended up offering me a job. Those were the best 4 years of my life. I know not everyone has the ability to take that kind of risk, I had no dependants and just had a casual girlfriend. 

But despite the crap, I learned a valuable life lesson... "Not all that glitters is gold"

Archived