SASS Wire Forum

22LR counterparts

Cottonmouth Mark

Hello everyone, 

I am investigating some 22LR counterparts to my rifle and revolvers.

Current are both Taylors with a 73 rifle and short stroked Running Irons.

For the 22LR counterparts;

Revolvers:

Looking at the Taylor Ranch Hand. The plus for this is it uses the same Cattleman frame so my current leather will work. You can also use the same springs as in my Running Irons, and in fact, I could replace the hammers with Running Iron hammers (lower and wider).

Thoughts? I tried some of the 7/8 sized offerings. While my leather would work, I shouldn't get too athletic else something is going to come out of the holster. Also the 7/8 size offerings seem to be limited on what you can do to them in slicking and lightening things up.

Rifle:

Looking at the Taylor Scout (Uberti Silver Boy) and the Henry Golden Boy.

For the Taylor, upon calling them, it seems to have a 13" LOP which I would need to extend. It does have a controlled feed. Upon further investigation, rear sight is adjustable for windage only.

For the Henry, it has a 14" LOP and a rear sight adjustable for elevation. Upon calling them, they could neither confirm or deny a controlled feed mechanism.

So what say you?

For Rifles: Used Winchesters and marlins are more expensive that what I am looking at, and more than I am inclined to spend right now.

For Revolvers: While it would be nice to save weight, I do want to use my current leather and from the conversations I have had, the 7/8 sized offerings are limited in their ability to be "tuned".

Well, I have one of the plain jane Henry 22s that is one of my favorite guns. Accurate and not at all fussy about what ammo it will shoot well. And I too, am looking at 22 revolvers. I am starting to really like the Wranglers even though they are a bit smaller.

I have a stallion, the 7/8 model you are talking about i think.  I bought lighter springs for it, although I don’t remember where. As far as slicking it up,,,,hone stone on the same parts as any other uberti.

edit: i really like this revolver. Fits good enough in my formed holster for my colt. Full size in 22lr would be pretty heavy i imagine. Is it 7/8 or 3/4?

Not sure I understand the Q of Is it 7/8 or 3/4?

The Ranch Hand is full size (Cattleman frame).

Just checked the weight .4 lbs more each for the Ranch Hand over the Stallion. That's just under a lb for 2. What common things weigh a pound?

a pair of mens leather gloves

a loaf of bread

And I searched again and cannot find any spring kits for the Stallion. Actually the 1st return was a post here that a guy was selling his Wolff springs as they wouldn't work in his Stallion.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Not sure I understand the Q of Is it 7/8 or 3/4?

The Ranch Hand is full size (Cattleman frame).

Just checked the weight .4 lbs more each for the Ranch Hand over the Stallion. That's just under a lb for 2. What common things weigh a pound?

a pair of mens leather gloves

a loaf of bread

And I searched again and cannot find any spring kits for the Stallion. Actually the 1st return was a post here that a guy was selling his Wolff springs as they wouldn't work in his Stallion.

Uberti lists the stallion as 3/4 size. I do not know what the 7/8 size pistol is.

my search had uberti as the very first site on the list for stallion parts. I did not go any farther. I did not buy my springs from uberti, so i know more places sell them too. 

They (uberti) show 3 different hammer springs (#20) for the stallion, regular, heavy, improved light. 

Uberti says .6 weight difference= 1.2 lbs for 2. I don’t know what common things weigh 1.2 lb

Actually found a good price on a couple Ranch Hands that claim are in stock. Haven’t dealt with these people before, and so far it’s not great and I may pull back the order (feels a touch fishy).

If so, I have 2 Stallions local to me. 

These make for good .22s.   Both are stock.  Both made by Colt.

22.thumb.jpg.9ac04e05d31e9a74cb475587f63fcd64.jpg

I have found that Colt 22s are reliably well made guns, and while they will run you at least four hundred bucks, they are worth the expense.   Oddly, the commemorative ones seem to be easier to find that the regular ones, and they don't command a premium price.

i have a number of SA22s , the ones i think are best suited to the use we intend to put them to are the cimarron that i bought a decade ago or so , they are full size and fit our leather , they have the heft and function of the bigger bore , 

while i have seperate leather for mine - my grandkids have yet to show interest - i can use either them or my my main gear , 

ive been comfortable with my win 9422 or the marlin 39s but i have the goldenboy , some fit better than others and the goldenboy was never perfect for me , you could always fall back to a pump of the 1890 , 90 , 06 variety or any modern version of these hammered pumps , 

im hoping the shotguns are not limited as i sold my 410s 

I ordered a pair of Wranglers on Monday from Budsguns and received them today. more in stock, locally. They are a little stiff initially but should wear in . Blackhawk springs appear to fit as do grip panels. They fit my main match holsters, which usually carry Uberti Cattlemen, loosely.

Imis

8 hours ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Also for a rifle considering a Chiappa deluxe.

The Wranglers don't fit well in my leather, and I've read not much you can do to lighten pull and slick them up.

I bought a pair of wranglers a year or so ago. They fit ok in my holsters that I use for a pair of NM Vaquero's, (older Kirkpatrick Tequila rig) not great but not falling out either.

Dismantled per the picture in the owners manual, put in a matched pair of unknown springs that were on the bench, smoothed all surfaces that had any marks on them and reassembled them. While not quite as smooth as my main match OM Vaquero's, with good 22 ammo they have been very reliable at near 100% without a FTF. Added Altamont grips and they fit my hands reasonably well. Only thing left is lighten the dog gone loading gate but haven't got around to it yet.

Also use a Henry Golden boy that is as smooth out of the box as any 22 rifle I have ever used. A joy to lever and shoot, very accurate and it runs just about any ammo I have. Had to add a couple leather strips to the butt in order to fit me better, but just used some fabric adhesive I had on the strips and they could be removed if desired.

Shotgun shells I am set on, so I just use my main match gun.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

12 hours ago, Marshall Dillon said:

H.K.,,is that a Q serial number colt? Alum frame?

The two tone one was one of the first pistols I ever bought after turning 21.   It is a nice shooter.  I've always believed the frame to aluminum.   I vaguely remember reading something somewhere that suggested that it might be stainless steel, but I don't think it is.  The barrel is marked "Frontier Scout"  and the serial number is 31XXXF.  According to Colt's online serial number lookup, it was made in 1958.  

The gold one is a California Bicentennial model, but the online serial number thing does not return any results.  (That happens a lot...)  Also a nice shooter.

We have a Widder/Slater Henry .22 rifle and it's very smooth.  I just purchased a pair of Wranglers on Gunbroker for $355, new.  Not sure if that was a good deal or not, but it seemed reasonable.  I look forward to getting them. 

My understanding is that Ruger Single Six springs fit fine, so the plan is to buy a couple of sets of Wolff springs for Single Sixes and put those in. 

If primers remain in the same status as unicorns Sharyn and I will have to switch to .22s sometime around 2022.

36 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The two tone one was one of the first pistols I ever bought after turning 21.   It is a nice shooter.  I've always believed the frame to aluminum.   According to Colt's online serial number lookup, it was made in 1958.  

I never see the two tone with f serial, usually a q. Mine is a q. My f is all blue. Keep that one. My q is also 19585807FEB5-E22D-4FF6-8B9F-B9C9A76C7BC2.thumb.jpeg.e8b5923e6f698f3e738be3d3ab112215.jpeg

Update, the place I located the Ranch Hands at is a scam. no money sent/lost.

The local Stallions I thought were 349 are 499.

I think I am shelving this idea for now. Then again maybe not.

I got a pair of Ruger Wranglers..... They are basically Aluminum frame Single Sixes

They lightened up pretty good with some Wolfe springs and a little polishing & tuning.

And the fit my Holsters reasonably well.

For a Rifle for ".22" CAS I think a Henry is probably the best choice available.....

I got a Silver Boy and did a Widdermatic Short/Soft Stroke to it....

WOW.... is it Smooth and capable of running Way Faster than I could ever handle.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

There is always this alternative.

image.thumb.png.ef048124e2fa09bbb24f232bc04b456a.png

Hmmm, $90 for inserts or $220 for Wrangler...or $175 for a Heritage...

Food for thought!

Have a pair of USFA'S, one 5.5, one 7.5. same spring setup. Nice thing is they are the same weight or a tad heavier than my main match guns so shooting is similar. Henry golden boy for rifle. Lot of fun.

Well decision made and paid for. 2 Wranglers and a Golden Boy.  I’ll pick them up next Friday. 

the inserts are an idea, but my Running irons are 38/357 and didn’t work

So in a nutshell: Needing some Cowboy love on these things to slick and lighten them up:

Offer names and contact methods for work on:

Henry Golden Boy 22

Ruger Wrangler

I already saved one for the Henry, but he can't seem to receive messages.

Check out the video of Missouri Lefty with the 'Widder Soft Stroke'  Henry

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

For a .22 rifle, this is the best one I have, and to be honest, the only one I have a pic of.   I'll try to remedy that soon.Light22.jpg.090a91cc497a1770ced9629e06988baa.jpg

To the surprise of not many, I have a Colt Lightning made in 1899.   Very sweet gun.   (Just ignore .45 pistol beneath it.  :) )

I got one of these that I could use.:rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.eb9c217c3105e39e446002391fef4ccb.png

I think it was Seawolf Fletcher that owned one a Them.....

He claimed that Stevens misnamed Em.........  Should'a been "Miserable Loader" not Visible Loader :D

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I got one of these that I could use.:rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.eb9c217c3105e39e446002391fef4ccb.png

OH....   I have one of those too.   Fascinating gun.   As far as it's "peculiar functionality" is concerned, it tends to not work properly.   Very accurate gun, and fun to shoot, but not at all a quickly operating one.   I only run CB Longs in it.

I actually took it to EoT a few years ago.   It proved to be a jam-o-matic.

I've got the basic Henry .22 rifle and a Heritage Arms .22/.22mag with a bird's head grip. I may get another one if I can find one. It shoots great!

On 2/11/2021 at 8:32 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I have a couple of Single Six Rugers, 4 5/8th barrel length and a Marlin 39A from 1972. 

868256298_Model39CenturyLTDDMLeveraction22S-L-LRserial14345.JPG

Doesn't get much prettier than that!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Looking to get a Marlin 39a 22

While I like Henry price and action I have a difficultly with straight stock 

Seems like since more Cowboys are looking for 22's

as well as others getting the 22 bug ,prices have really shot up 

For my 22 pistols I have a pair of Colt Peacemaker 22's

With the escalating price of ammo currently not sure the 22 craze is going to continue

Good luck to All

Archived