Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch: 200gr or 230gr?


Recommended Posts

My 1911 will cycle 200gn RNTP. Should I say with them or go to 230gr RN? Would there be a problem with making the necessary power factor with the 200's? I already use the 200's for 45 Colt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only used 230gr, but when this question has come up before I have several times heard it said that the recoil of the 200gr is a bit more "snappy".   YMMV.  But power factor can be easily reached, just check your velocity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have only used 230gr, but when this question has come up before I have several times heard it said that the recoil of the 200gr is a bit more "snappy".   YMMV.  But power factor can be easily reached, just check your velocity.

 

I was told by several shooters that the 230 grain has less felt recoil than the 200 for the same power factor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Ditto.  

 

When faced with real tough KD targets, 230 grainers at 190-200 PF come out.

 

Good luck, GJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 200's.actually the same bullet for 1911, sixguns and carbine. keeps it real simple to inventory . I've tried 230's. meh, not enuff diff. to want to change

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have only used 230gr, but when this question has come up before I have several times heard it said that the recoil of the 200gr is a bit more "snappy".   YMMV.  But power factor can be easily reached, just check your velocity.

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites

230gr 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Throckmorton,23149 said:

I use 200's.actually the same bullet for 1911, sixguns and carbine. keeps it real simple to inventory . I've tried 230's. meh, not enuff diff. to want to change

 

IMG_20190204_192926.jpg.6b848d3da2bf7a0cfe2164a9d8e2d9ee.thumb.jpg.96673faeb11a27fd11a431ae097bc2ee.jpg

 

+1 on same bullet for all 3. 200 gr rnfp

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Notso Slim, SASS #67301 said:

My 1911 will cycle 200gn RNTP. Should I say with them or go to 230gr RN? Would there be a problem with making the necessary power factor with the 200's? I already use the 200's for 45 Colt.

That is the clincher.  Will it make power factor of 150 plus, consistently.  230gr RN works for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do yourself a favor and put both on the clock. A 230 at 700 FPS will more than power factor, take down and knockdown AND will give you faster split times. 3.9-4.1 grains of Winchester WST will give softer recoil that anything else I’ve tried. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, Flash said:

I use 200 for both Wild Bunch and Cowboy Action. Works great!

 

same here, i use the exact same 200gn rnfps in both. 5.0gn trailboss, federal large pistol magnums...

 

more than enough to make PF

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was using 200 grn and switched to 230 while maintaining the same power factor.  So less powder, more lead.  I felt a significant change in felt recoil.  Significant!  So my recommendation is definitely use the heavier lead and adjust powder to get a 155-160 power factor.  Much more controllable while shooting at speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I consistently had trouble with one or two rounds not feeding correctly using the old standby of a 200 grain Hensley & Gibbs #68 and 4.5 Bullseye in all 4 of my 1911's, so last year I switched to another commonly used load of 4.0 grains WST and a 230 grain RN, and haven't had a single malfunction since. Felt recoil is less too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

 

same here, i use the exact same 200gn rnfps in both. 5.0gn trailboss, federal large pistol magnums...

 

more than enough to make PF

My load as well.  if I hit it, it goes down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.