• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

image.jpeg.75074fb428f55e502f4d918b9d5cff21.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  

art.jpg.3bfa63bb2d197c205e5f372d96781473.jpg

Is the guy in the top picture - the one with half of his head missing - supposed to be Trump?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

"Credit purchase denied -- your purchase does not meet acceptable ESG guidelines."

Yet another reason to never have a cashless society 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Hundreds of millions"?

There's only something like 300 million people in the country.

I thought the latest estimate was something like 80 million gun owners.

"Hundreds of millions"?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

"Hundreds of millions"?

There's only something like 300 million people in the country.

I thought the latest estimate was something like 80 million gun owners.

"Hundreds of millions"?

80 million that they know of ???

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

80 million that they know of ???

A few years ago both Pew Research and Gallup released survey results that estimated that about 43% of all households in the US had at least one firearm.  Extrapolating from US Census numbers that means around 134,000,000 people have ready access to firearms. Also,  about 40% of those households had at least one firearm that wasn't in a safe or other secured place. 

This, in my opinion,  shows how rare accidental/negligent shootings are, and what a tiny portion of 1% of gun owners,  much less the overall population,  misuse firearms in the commission of crimes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That's something that's puzzled me for years. Surveys on gun ownership.

Let's suppose that my wife is very big on jewelry. And the guy from Gallup comes to the door and wants to know if I have any diamond necklaces. So I'm just going to tell him about the 17 diamond necklaces in my wife's jewelry box on the dresser? I don't think so.

When any decent firearm is going to cost you at least $500, I can't see telling some stranger that yes you've got 17 guns. That isn't anybody's business.

And then we have the "we are trying as hard as we can to make it illegal for normal people to have a gun" thing going on in DC, so I'm going to tell the Gallup guy that I've got all these guns? And then next year when they get outlawed, the feds are going to go to the Gallup people and subpoena their records? Find out who said they had all them guns, so they can go pick 'em up?

I just don't understand why anybody would tell them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's something that's puzzled me for years. Surveys on gun ownership.

Let's suppose that my wife is very big on jewelry. And the guy from Gallup comes to the door and wants to know if I have any diamond necklaces. So I'm just going to tell him about the 17 diamond necklaces in my wife's jewelry box on the dresser? I don't think so.

When any decent firearm is going to cost you at least $500, I can't see telling some stranger that yes you've got 17 guns. That isn't anybody's business.

And then we have the "we are trying as hard as we can to make it illegal for normal people to have a gun" thing going on in DC, so I'm going to tell the Gallup guy that I've got all these guns? And then next year when they get outlawed, the feds are going to go to the Gallup people and subpoena their records? Find out who said they had all them guns, so they can go pick 'em up?

I just don't understand why anybody would tell them.

That’s why I think firearms ownership is greatly underestimated. Let alone the liberals that would just be ashamed to admit they actually own firearms. 
NICKS checks are some of the only real numbers they have. But even with that you’re still just guessing.. Just too many different scenarios exist. 
Seeing how serial numbers weren’t even required until 1968 I don’t think they even have a good number on how many firearms are in circulation. 
After all a 1911, high power, revolver, rifle, shotgun etc… made in the 40’s Is still a very viable weapon today. The technology really hasn’t changed that much 

• Like 2