SASS Wire Forum

Ba-Dump Tissssh - Memes

Pat Riot

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Looks like a kickball to me. I don't associate that ball with any particular sound.

Aside from the "slap" when it hit your cheek at 50mph! Problem (probably) too dangerous today and banned.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Fricken otto
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

• Replies 26.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I don't hear that picture. I recognize that picture - it's what we call a playground ball when I was in elementary school. But I don't hear it.

This one I hear.

e79167af59f821d1eeb73193080bb93c--tequil

Dodge ball 

if you get hit in the head with one it makes a very distinctive sound. 
If you played dodge ball as a kid you would also have a appreciation for the movie 

• Like 5

We play dodgeball in elementary school, but it wasn't anything like the stuff I've seen on TV.

Everybody got in a circle. One guy in the middle. Somebody had a ball. He threw it at the guy in the middle, who attempted to dodge it. If the ball missed somebody on the other side of the circle caught the ball and now he threw it at the guy in the middle. This continued until the guy in the middle got hit. The guy that threw the ball that hit the guy in the middle now goes into the middle and the guy in the middle goes out to the circle.

And I saw a South Park episode 20-some years back, where they had two teams and everybody on the team had a ball. And then there was the movie, which I never saw but based on the trailers it was the same as the South Park thing.

Never played it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where I played.  Two sides of a basketball court, two teams, variable numbers of balls in play.  If you were hit, you were out.  You could deflect a ball with a ball and not be out.  The team with remaining member(s) won.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In high school we played what they called "greek dodge", or "killer ball".  On a basketball court, 2 teams.  When you were hit, you went to the far side of the court, so each team was getting thrown at from front and behind.  The coaches always started us with a few of the red rubber balls.  As the coaches got bored, they would throw in more of the red balls.  When they got real bored, they would throw in a volleyball.    The red marks from getting hit in the face from the red ball would go away after a short while.  The impressions of the volleyball on your face would last long enough so that everybody in your next class knew you didn't get out of the way fast enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Where I played.  Two sides of a basketball court, two teams, variable numbers of balls in play.  If you were hit, you were out.  You could deflect a ball with a ball and not be out.  The team with remaining member(s) won.  

Catch the ball and return it with extreme prejudice.  We used an assortment of the big red rubber balls, volleyballs, and 10 year olds, hard as granite, rubber basketballs.   

The red balls had a weird kind of hollow metallic - plastic ping to them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

We play dodgeball in elementary school, but it wasn't anything like the stuff I've seen on TV.

Everybody got in a circle. One guy in the middle. Somebody had a ball. He threw it at the guy in the middle, who attempted to dodge it. If the ball missed somebody on the other side of the circle caught the ball and now he threw it at the guy in the middle. This continued until the guy in the middle got hit. The guy that threw the ball that hit the guy in the middle now goes into the middle and the guy in the middle goes out to the circle.

And I saw a South Park episode 20-some years back, where they had two teams and everybody on the team had a ball. And then there was the movie, which I never saw but based on the trailers it was the same as the South Park thing.

Never played it that way.

We generally played Dodge ball in teams , could block the ball with a ball but besides that you had to dodge . It would go til the last person standing. The game your describing with one person in the middle had a name that would be considered terrible today. “Smear the queer”.

In that time I would take queer to mean odd . No one took offense that I could remember. Today you would be labeled a racist homophobe 

• Like 4

We were a small school, about 30 students per grade. Our phys ed teacher was also the basketball coach.

We played dodgeball in school with two teams. Don't remember much else about it.

But, during basketball season, the coach wanted to use the time to train the basketball team. He would divide the class into players and non-players. The players were not allowed to play with the non players!

We, the non-players, played full contact basketball (think tackle football with a basketball) and the coach did not want any of his players to get hurt!:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The game your describing with one person in the middle had a name that would be considered terrible today. “Smear the queer”.

In that time I would take queer to mean odd . No one took offense that I could remember. Today you would be labeled a racist homophobe 

Our version was a version of keep away.  The guy with the ball tried to keep from getting gang tackled and the ball stripped from him.  But the object was to be the guy with the ball at the end of recess.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

IIRC if you caught a thrown ball the thrower was out and the first of your team’s players who had been hit and removed was brought back in. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 2