SASS Wire Forum

high school time frame juvenile record

Trigger Mike

Yes you are mistaken.

Criminal convictions as a juvenile are sealed, but can be used depending on their relevance and the particular laws of the state.

But we're not talking convictions here. Basically, you don't get a free pass because you are a juvenile. Now of course if the statute of limitations has run out on any crime you may have committed there can be no prosecution but that's no different from an adult,

20 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Wish I'd have known back when I was 15 that the stupid things I did might come back to haunt me decades later. I guess today's sheltered kids never cause any trouble, eh?

The difference today is, kids are entitled to act how they want without consequence. I could go on but then the topic would become political.

:huh:

21 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Wish I'd have known back when I was 15 that the stupid things I did might come back to haunt me decades later. I guess today's sheltered kids never cause any trouble, eh?

They post it on facebook for all the world to see while creating an airtight case for the prosecution.

We had an iron clad rule when I was in the Navy, NO CAMERAS on deployment.  Only time pictures were allowed is if everyone was sober and consented. At any function where alcohol was involved, any individual producing a camera was rapidly on their way to ending up with a paperweight.

As such there is no physical evidence that I ever did anything stupid. Anyone that tries to say otherwise ...... :P

More and more states are not withholding much.  prior  arrests/convictions  as a juvenile can be used in adult sentencing under prior bad acts.  Your record is not cleaned once you turn 18, that may have been a long time ago but not anymore.  Convictions are  normally housed in Superior Court records which also retains adult records of arrest/convictions.  In AZ if there is a propensity towards violence, sexual offenses and drug abuse as a juvenile it will haunt you as a adult.  Many states are going to this model if they are not there yet.  You can thank the gang culture.

Statute of limitation pertains to the time of discovery of the crime by law enforcement, that is when the clock starts running to build a case for charging.  Hypothetically, commit a felony crime in 1999, not reported until 2012, police have until 2019 to build and charge the case.  Most states are similar.  This can apply to juvenile behavior also.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:01 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I thought that things that happened as a juvenile could not be used against you later in life.  Am I mistaken?  

My question exactly!

Archived