SASS Wire Forum

cringe moment during High Chaperal

Trigger Mike

I was watching High Chaperal this morning and every time someone came near the ranch the cowboy on watch would fire a round into the air.  Every time I watch a western and see people fire their gun I begin to worry about when they plan on cleaning it since black powder will rust fairly quickly.  I recall seeing Matt Dillon cleaning his pistol but few others do.  the one in High CHaperal fired at least 3 times in the air.  

duplex load

Actually, in a dry clime such as the High Desert, a BP handgun can go weeks without cleaning.  Perhaps months.  BP, in and of itself isn't very corrosive.  It does attract moisture and will hold moisture against the steel to cause oxidation (rust).  If there isn't much in the way of moisture, isn't much in the way of rust.  Should it rain, however, all bets are off :P

PS:  Biggest problem is if the primers or Caps used are corrosive.

Directors seem to think the audience would be bored watching someone cleaning a gun.

They’re right.

Up here in New England it is the opposite weather.  Way too much humidity.  I can still go 8 days before cleaning (occasionally) without getting rust from my Goex powder.  They grow an interesting white fuzz, but no rust that doesn't wipe off.   

On 9/6/2018 at 5:57 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I was watching High Chaperal this morning and every time someone came near the ranch the cowboy on watch would fire a round into the air.  Every time I watch a western and see people fire their gun I begin to worry about when they plan on cleaning it since black powder will rust fairly quickly.  I recall seeing Matt Dillon cleaning his pistol but few others do.  the one in High CHaperal fired at least 3 times in the air.  

Seriously?  You watch 1950's make believe TV and worry about authenticity? 

???

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Directors seem to think the audience would be bored watching someone cleaning a gun.

They’re right.

Got that one right! Where I live isn't quite Arizona, but it's pretty dry, and it doesn't take BP guns to start changing all kinds of wonderful colors. When I shot BP I always used the real thing, and was always pretty good about cleaning my guns the same day, and it can still happen. Brass cases sure don't take long.

JHC

If you said that Herbert Hoover was President when we nuked Japan, or that Eisenhower was there for the surrender signing, you'd need corrected on those also.

Doesn't make "all the difference in the world". Doesn't really make any difference. We still nuked 'em. They still surrendered. 

But the "facts" you stated were wrong.

Shooting into the air like that makes me wonder where the rounds go.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you said that Herbert Hoover was President when we nuked Japan, or that Eisenhower was there for the surrender signing, you'd need corrected on those also.

Doesn't make "all the difference in the world". Doesn't really make any difference. We still nuked 'em. They still surrendered. 

But the "facts" you stated were wrong.

well, I've seen sillier arguments, but what ever.  Now that you have successfully defended the most irrelevant aspects of the discussion, I'll ask again about the substantial issue, are you or anyone else looking for authenticity in TV westerns of the period? 

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Since Hollywood rarely does anything real, I rarely worry about something I see.  Gunfights are all like A-team, nobody dies, the gunfire is all fake, the guns are never dirty, the blood is chocolate syrup or catsup.

And horses have force fields that allow them to charge a Gatling gun and not get shot while their riders fall like flies.

And they never feed the horses, either!  Oh, they talk about it, but you never see them do it.  Maybe that's why you never see them picking up horse-poop!

22 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

And they never feed the horses, either!  Oh, they talk about it, but you never see them do it.  Maybe that's why you never see them picking up horse-poop!

So that’s why there are no road apples in the streets. :D

Louis L'Amour interview, Grit magazine, mid 1970s. This was the time of the "Adult Western" - Longarm, The Gunsmith, Sixgun Samurai, like that. They had sex. Often.

Interviewer: Why don't your characters have sex?

Louie: It is not germane to the story.

Interviewer: But sex is a natural part of life.

Louie: So is going to the toilet. I don't put that in my books either.

Archived