SASS Wire Forum

Get Out Your Hankies

Subdeacon Joe

That makes me really miss my Labs. But, My little toy Minn  Pinn is still a joy. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

That makes me really miss my Labs. But, My little toy Minn  Pinn is still a joy. Thanks

I know what you mean.  I'd always had medium to large dogs, but now we have a toy poodle.  A dog that wants to be happy and it shows.  Smart as a whip, energetic, and brings a smile to everyone who sees her,.  We've had to work on encouraging her to be a dog - her first owner wanted a "purse dog" and was very possessive. Over the 5 years we have had her we have pretty much reversed those first 4 years.  

This story really hit me because:

20180117_204813.jpg

20180117_204819.jpg

I started to read it, but just couldn't bring myself to continue. We lost our Aussie, Rowan, last September, very much by surprise. I played fetch with her and the others the evening before, she ate and seemed fine. Right around bedtime, she seemed uncomfortable. Not in pain, nothing tender to the touch, but she would groan and take a deep breath every so often. I laid on the floor next to her for awhile, and she wasn't showing any signs that would cause me alarm. I went to bed, and when I got up the next morning she was gone. We buried her out back, facing the house to keep an eye on things. I still occasionally wake up and expect to see her when I walk downstairs.

Here is something my daughter wrote in a blog as part of a class project. The picture of them is one of my very favorites:

https://emmawardonline.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/whats-in-a-name/

I should add, that while I am biased, I believe my daughter has a gift for writing.

In 2003 I had a TIA at Sturgis. I had just lost my last of 3 labs.  The wife brought home a toy Minn Pinn. She stroked at 18 months. I was through with pets, but the wife traveled to Virginia and bought the little girl I have now. She was born on Dec 25th 2009. She is now 8 and almost never leaves my side. She sleeps behind my knees in the bed.  I worry about her everytime I have to leave her at home. Amazing what an animal can do to your heart. Healed mine

Well, impeccable timing on this post.  Sure got me to cry!  Just last Saturday we had to put down our 13 year old Buster after developing a bladder and kidney disease.

Rest in peace Buster!

AAA.jpg

Sailor-dog is piled up on the couch beside me as I write this.
He's laundering behind my ear and across the back of my head.

He had no idea what was wrong when I read this but he's tryin' to comfort me.

Loosing such a pet is heart breaking.

We had a small dog for about 4 years until constant health issues and 2 expensive operations wouldn't solve 'Benji's issues.   He was a Christmas present to our daughter years earlier.

After some consultations with our Vet, it was decided to put him to sleep.

My wife ask if I wanted to stay in the room while they put him to sleep and I said:   "Oh Yea.  I ain't gonna let him die alone."

One of the saddest parts was that he sat by MY feet while in the waiting room as though he was a little afraid and that I would be his 'safe haven'.  I remember him close to my leg as he leaned into me for security.

But we relieved all his pain and he went to sleep peacefully.   He had been in pain for the past few days and we knew it.

I can except death.  I find it hard when I'm the one who is making the decision to put a family pet to sleep.

..........Widder

Just can't bring myself to read it yet Joe. I've gotten blurry reading everybody else's replys.

We just got back from the vet's a few minutes ago.  We had to take our 20 year old Lipizzaner gelding in to be put down.  Tumors/cancer.  Cancer took his mother, too.

It's not quite as heart wrenching as the loss of a dog, to me anyway.  But still sad.  He was my wife's horse and she's the crier.   He was born on our place during a full moon.  Hence the moniker "Wolffie".  He was born around midnight about 15-20 minutes after I got home from work.  Great horse.  As mellow, smart and eager to please as you could hope for.  

We've got an 18 year old Dachshund and 15 year old cat that are having health issues now and we're not sure either will make it to next year.

Angus

Dang Joe, That was brutal, Thank you. It is never easy to lose a special pet.

For all of you who have I share the "Rainbow Bridge" below:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

9 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Dang Joe, That was brutal, Thank you. It is never easy to lose a special pet.

Brutal, yes,  but very tender and touching at the same time.

From the responses here, it would seem that all us knuckle-dragin', insensitive, uncaring, unemotional gun nuts are
a bunch of sentimental softies.

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Brutal, yes,  but very tender and touching at the same time.

From the responses here, it would seem that all us knuckle-dragin', insensitive, uncaring, unemotional gun nuts are
a bunch of sentimental softies.

Very much so, when it comes to my fur-family members.

OLG

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Awe, I didn't bother. I saw the picture and teared up. I do mis my Wilbur somethig aweful

Go to a rescue and start the healing process by saving a Dog's(and yours)life.

OLG

Animals are a gift to man, women included. Dogs, cats, horses all have had a place in my heart. When I get to the Rainbow Bridge, the meeting will be a good one. I'm surprised I could type this....my screen is so blurry!

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go to a rescue and start the healing process by saving a Dog's(and yours)life.

OLG

Thanks OLG, but I have my Maddie. She's good girl that we rescued to be Wilbur's playmate. She mourns him too but she's getting back to being herself again but the poor girl is only 5 1/2 years old but has arthritis so bad you'd think she's 15. We'll take care of her and she'll take care of us.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Lizzie

wa18CA.jpg

Beatiful spaniel.  My first dog, a field spaniel I named lady, was given to me by my Uncle Thornton in Tennessee when I was 10. She became the family dog and when I left home the family refused to let me take her. She was 15 when she passed in Petsluma California. They think a coyote got her

ok who is cutting Onions?

great read.

similar,but not the same we lost our   little buddy Rabbit He  passed away Friday.
almost 8 yrs old
R.I.P.
we first got him on Easter of 2010

Rabbit 6-6-10 1.jpg

Rabbit 7-3-17 1.jpg

On 1/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I just found this on FB:

No automatic alt text available.

Dang it Joe, Ya did it again.  This thread is getting tuff for us softies.

Archived