SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle Content

Creeker, SASS #43022

I opened my big mouth on the other current thread about the Chronicle.

Jabbering on about what "I" don't like and what "I" would want to see.

Larson pointed out that the Chronicle can only "print" what is provided to it.  

And from that; one must infer that if the content is less that "I" want...

Then "I" carry some level of responsibility to provide content that I find more palatable.

So I have committed myself to providing/ facilitating and encouraging interesting "game centric" content for submission to the Chronicle.

I have some ideas and directions that I think would benefit our publication, our members and our game.

And I will be making overtures toward SASS HQ and to Skinny with these ideas.

*More articles about guns and equipment.

*More articles about individual shooters and events.

*More articles with tips and strategies  - Along the lines as Kirk James have been talking about from the viewpoint of our champions.

*Interviews with industry (guns, ammo, component, attire, accessories, etc) leaders.

*Equipment/ mindset/ skill set comparison and contrasts with other disciplines. (would their game be improved or different with the inclusion of equipment or components of our game?  Would our game if things from theirs were brought in?)

*Upcoming small match (under 100 shooters) solicitation articles (allow and encourage officers/ match directors a column to brag up an upcoming match that may not get the word of mouth that others do.)

*Shooter spotlight (discuss the local hero's that may not be household names and their impact on clubs and shooters)

*Club Brag and ideas (what is your club doing for others?  Veteran events, Scouts, Charities, etc.

*Additionally, multi media content that utilizes video and webcasts to support content when possible.  YouTube articles and content come immediately to mind.

Obviously, no one is capable of providing all of these things; but within our game we have folks that can do any of these things.  All we have to do is provide it.

These are only a few ideas that if content were provided would make the Chronicle laser focused on our game and articles of benefit to a participant.

All the while ensuring that anyone outside our game that reads it would have no doubts what our game and our people are about

Who's with me?

Let's work together to make the publication for our game more representative of our great game. 

I'm with ya, I'd love to see more articles about the guns we use for this game. I wish I was a gunsmith I would send some articles about slicking up actions, replacing springs, short strokes etc. I think the chronicle needs a different direction and you nailed it Creeker!

Articles on women shooters and how they got started would be interesting.  Also tips from women shooters to other women shooters.  Interview Allie Mo as she continues to shoot even though her husband doesn't.  She and I are the only two women I know of that have continued shooting even when husbands aren't.  (Lazarus got me involved in 2003, but he passed away in 2015.)   Thanks to my cowboy friends, I'm able to continue shooting and be around such nice, caring people.

Creeker-I am not a writer(IF-you ever saw my grocery shopping list, it would be obvious:lol:).

You have outstanding ideas to make it 'great-again.

You, DO HAVE my deepest respect for 'stepping forward' here.

Sally-Forth ^_^

OLG

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm with ya, I'd love to see more articles about the guns we use for this game. I wish I was a gunsmith I would send some articles about slicking up actions, replacing springs, short strokes etc. I think the chronicle needs a different direction and you nailed it Creeker!

^ This X 1,000! Our better known and more respected gunsmiths aren’t getting any younger. And I don’t hear of a lot of youngsters coming along to replace them. I fear it’s not going to be long before we either learn to do our own work or it won’t get done.   :(

The Chronicle will only improve if we, the members, make the improvements. Skinny can’t print articles that haven’t been written and if we don’t submit them they won’t get printed. I’m fairly certain that the folks that don’t like the costuming articles aren’t going to care for the series of gun cart building articles I’m working on. I’d sure like to see more articles about smaller clubs and their annual matches and articles about participants with disabilities. Articles written by our top shooters would be a great addition also and probably quite educational. I’d like to read about and see pictures of clubs recoveries from fires and natural disasters and new clubs getting started and whose involved with getting them started and the range they’ll be using.

Larsen Pettifogger does a great job chronicling the Winter Range saga and IMHO, tells an amazing story. Captain Baylor’s probably educated more people than the entire California education system with his monthly how to articles. I’m pretty certain Larsen and Capt. Baylor suffer from writers block at times and a looming deadline makes it even worse. They don’t get paid for the articles that they submit, they do it for the love of the game that we all play. 

If we want to see a different, better Chronicle we need to use the keyboard for something other than a method to complain and tear things down with and instead use it to build a better Chronicle. Accept Creekers challenge and write articles about your club, an outstanding pard or pardette, a club you visited or a match that you enjoyed or whatever. Rest assured that folks are going to grouse about the Chronicle content no matter what happens because that’s just the way we are but you shouldn’t let that stop you from submitting an article.

My hope is that Skinny, the editor gets so much material submitted that he has to apologize because he can’t get it all in in one issue and he has to put it off until the next one. Fire up them keyboards folks!!!

12 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The Chronicle will only improve if we, the members, make the improvements. Skinny can’t print articles that haven’t been written and if we don’t submit them they won’t get printed. I’m fairly certain that the folks that don’t like the costuming articles aren’t going to care for the series of gun cart building articles I’m working on. I’d sure like to see more articles about smaller clubs and their annual matches and articles about participants with disabilities. Articles written by our top shooters would be a great addition also and probably quite educational. I’d like to read about and see pictures of clubs recoveries from fires and natural disasters and new clubs getting started and whose involved with getting them started and the range they’ll be using.

Larsen Pettifogger does a great job chronicling the Winter Range saga and IMHO, tells an amazing story. Captain Baylor’s probably educated more people than the entire California education system with his monthly how to articles. I’m pretty certain Larsen and Capt. Baylor suffer from writers block at times and a looming deadline makes it even worse. They don’t get paid for the articles that they submit, they do it for the love of the game that we all play. 

If we want to see a different, better Chronicle we need to use the keyboard for something other than a method to complain and tear things down with and instead use it to build a better Chronicle. Accept Creekers challenge and write articles about your club, an outstanding pard or pardette, a club you visited or a match that you enjoyed or whatever. Rest assured that folks are going to grouse about the Chronicle content no matter what happens because that’s just the way we are but you shouldn’t let that stop you from submitting an article.

My hope is that Skinny, the editor gets so much material submitted that he has to apologize because he can’t get it all in in one issue and he has to put it off until the next one. Fire up them keyboards folks!!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

Loreli, add me to the list with you and Allie.  I actually started shooting cowboy without my Wonnerful Hubby, he joined later after he saw how much fun we were having.  The cowboys circled the wagons around me when I lost him and I don't know how I could have made it these last two years without them.  They haven't just helped with an issue with the Dillon or shooting-related things - they are there all day, every day for anything and everything from a ear to listen, to help with "happy homeowner" chores to showing up at my door and dragging me out for dinner when I go "hermit" on them.    I'm still casting, cleaning guns, reloading and making smoke and flames.   Which gives me an idea - maybe a story on how the Soot Sisters got started?

and,,, don't forget that new shooters find it ALL interesting.  Remember back in your early years of CAS that you couldn't wait for the CC to arrive and you read every page?   it's like the wire,, sometimes we scoff at a newbie asking an often asked question,,, 

maybe more short Bios on established shooters,,, 

Good ideas, one and all!

How about a reoccurring segment on your favorite stage, complete with drawings, target setup, round count, etc. for those that don't have a designated stage writer? Maybe have a universal stage (different every shoot) throughout the country by all the clubs?

WR

All fantastic ideas.

I love the ideas for Ladies SHOOTING columns. 

Same thing about seeing some Men write costuming columns.

Costumes to the nth degree and costuming on a budget.

Set aside some of the misconceptions and stereotypes of the game.

Would love to see "My favorite stage" articles with diagrams and sequences, distances and target sizes.  And an explanation of why it was so fun.

Humor is appropriate as well.

Yul Lose builds gun carts that are works of art and I can wait to read his submissions.

But might be fun to see "Redneck Carts" as well. 

You know those 5am creations that got put together when the regular cart broke a wheel getting placed in the truck.

Tales about road trips and misadventures on the way to the range/ match.

My best stage/ My worse stage...

Brag a little or share a horror story

Why I'm a cowboy...

What/ who drew you to this game.  Or to being a cowboy in the first place.

Shout out to your mentors and inspirations and how you honor them.

Gun Show/Shop Discoveries...

What you found. 

What you didnt buy that you should have. 

What you did buy that you shouldnt have. 

What you missed out on.

Family Affairs...

Tell the world about your family members that shoot or have shot cowboy with you.  

Husbands and Wives

Parents and Children

Grandparents and grandchildren

Inspire us to bring our families along.

Crossing Disciplines...

Share your experiences shooting another discipline (be positive).

Share the experience of getting another discipline to try cowboy.

I will recommend this tho. 

Short articles are better than long.

One part articles are better than multi part.

If we are using this as recruitment then the articles need to be quick and tight.

And 3 months is too long to wait for the conclusion of a thought.  

There are nearly infinite avenues to explore that can be interesting and still keep the publications focus on our game.

I’d like to chime in with an idea about cowboy owned businesses - of which I am one.  I started as a shooter with BIG FAT ZERO experience shooting - I’d only shot 22 rifles as a kid and a semi-auto handgun when I shot one stage at a match in Aug 2012. I went all in!! First match 12/2012.  loved my hobby so much, it became my work when I bought a business from a retiring cowboy in Feb 2015. There are a lot of us out and about working hard, having fun and supporting this wonderful sport. 

I do think Culpepper is right about new shooters - maybe bring back listing the new shooters? 

I'm excited about the print editions and effort being made by all of us!

Happy New Year Hugs!!

Scarlett

Love the idea of having a Top Shooters Corner where you could have some of the top shooters comment on their equipment, why they use that type, their dryfire practice, live fire, tips, etc. 

Also like the idea of a Womens Shooting Corner, maybe the Doily Gang could submit articles. 

Would love to see a Stage Analysis Corner from top shooters in 2 handed, duelist & gunfighter.  You would have a top shooter from each of the 3 styles analyze a particular stage scenario stating how they would shoot it, why they would do it that way and maybe the way a "beginner" might shoot it.  For example one of the top mounted shooting trainers has a book that has each of the CMSA courses and for each course he shows different options on how to shoot it (ie how a top level shooter would shoot it, how a mid level shooter might shoot it and how a beginner might shoot it).  You would get different points of views on transitions, sequences, etc from the 3 different styles of shooting.

I also like the idea of a Vendors Corner where vendors could submit an article about the products they offer, how they got started, how they support SASS, etc.  This would help promote our vendors that support SASS and let people know about vendors they may not be aware of.

Many people have done some great videos so a page with the link to those videos and a brief title would be helpful.  New shooters could go to these links and get a lot of great info.

I liked Rio & TN Talls travel tales because they covered everything from a monthly match to larger state & regional matches.  So something along those lines that would cover larger annual, state & above matches would be great to let people know about the match from an "outsiders" perspective (ie, someone not involved in running the match).

Maybe a Wild Bunch Corner that would promote Wild Bunch especially from a womans perpective.  Alot of women are intimidated by the semi at first until they start shooting it.  I know I was at first but now I love it & helped start Action Pistol matches at our club as a result.

Lou,

I think you were the one that first got me interested in shooting black powder and wearing the purple feather.  You should write an article yourself.  So sorry to hear about your hubby.  I lost Lazarus two years ago and thankfully had and still have all my cowboy friends to thank for getting me through that difficult time.  I really don't know how I could have made it through without them helping me.  

How about an ongoing column on getting started?  Kinda like a New Shooter's Corner.  All kinds of tips are posted on the wire quite often.  Articles on what to look for in guns and leather.  Tips on purchasing or making your own clothing, accessories, gun cart, etc.  Dos and don'ts, tips and tricks....we've all been there and wished we had known things before the $$$$ was spent.

just had a complete shoulder replacement.  as soon as i can use my right arm, i am in.  kirk james

Archived