SASS Wire Forum

Outlaw Class

Rootin Tootin

Realizing that Outlaw is experimental, and avalible only at the club level,  are there any general guidelines to follow? I've been told below the shoulders and Double Duelist style but nothing more. Any help beyond this would be helpful. 

Thanks  RT

43 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Don't let them fool ya..

Outlaws don't have any class!! :D:D:P

Ain't that the truth..... :lol:

Besides, its not a Class.    Its a Category which has been recognized in some pretty big matches, including some state matches with a good number of competitors.

Some of these 'OUTLAWS' actually shoot darn good......... and CLEAN.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Ain't that the truth..... :lol:

Besides, its not a Class.    Its a Category which has been recognized in some pretty big matches, including some state matches with a good number of competitors.

Some of these 'OUTLAWS' actually shoot darn good......... and CLEAN.

..........Widder

What Widder said!

And my better half is one of them. When she picks up that shotgun all the cowboys  wstch.

No brag, just fact!

Outlaws got rules just like everybody else.

Duelist, Double Duelist and Gunfigher styles are allowed for the men.

Those styles and two handed are allowed for the wimmens.

Rules from the style yer shooting apply.

I think there is a rule if you shoot a clean match you have to buy the drinks afterwards. (Kidding).:lol: But it would explain why there are so few clean Outlaws.:P

Waimea

I’m planning on a few matches as Outlaw next season.  Another local facilities home rules might allow a club to offer regularly.....

Im lucky to hit the targets when i aim. I cant hit the hillside when I dont aim.

Imis   and there are some very good outlaw shooters out there. I shoot with some.

The Remington 95  double barrel derringer

( after which the Bond Arms derringer was modeled )

was really designed for use at the crotch-level

( generally while seated at a Poker table ).

Are these REQUIRED EQUIPMENT for Outlaws ? ? ?  Why not ?

Considered an optional piece of equipment since it can not be a main match gun, you would have to clear it each stage at the unloading table.

On a side note, Outlaw is not Double discharging or simultaneous discharge as some folks think. We follow all SASS rules.

I’ve been known to play around in the Outlaw category... :ph34r:

When a club allows it (some don’t because of “over the birm” rules) I’ve seen some folks shoot their rifle, and hit quite well, from the hip!  I’ll have to hunt around and see if I have any video of my pards (Badd Dawg Matt and Biffer Jones) shootin’ their rifles in this fashion.  If I find any footage I’ll get it posted on JED iTV and put a link here. 

I am going to give the a try for the first time at our Christmas match. Should be a good time trying to get a buddy to shoot it with me so I have someone to compete against. 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:24 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Im lucky to hit the targets when i aim. I cant hit the hillside when I dont aim.

Imis   and there are some very good outlaw shooters out there. I shoot with some.

I got a solution for ya.  Aim for the ground around the target.  When you miss, you will logically have to hit the target. 

On 12/2/2017 at 10:41 PM, Heckler Hinge said:

The Remington 95  double barrel derringer

( after which the Bond Arms derringer was modeled )

was really designed for use at the crotch-level

( generally while seated at a Poker table ).

Are these REQUIRED EQUIPMENT for Outlaws ? ? ?  Why not ?

Because this is a topsy turvey world where outlaws have class, style, rules, and are clean (sometimes).  A real outlaw would sneak up on the targets and shoot them in the back. 

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I got a solution for ya.  Aim for the ground around the target.  When you miss, you will logically have to hit the target. 

Hey, that's what they taught my Uncle in boot camp in the 1950's !

So you can only claim so much credit for "your idea".  [smirk}

9 minutes ago, Heckler Hinge said:

Hey, that's what they taught my Uncle in boot camp in the 1950's !

So you can only claim so much credit for "your idea".  [smirk}

Well since I've been outed, I'll go ahead and admit that idea is adapted from hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.  In that book the secret to flying was to throw yourself at the ground and miss.  Don't know when douglas adams wrote that book, so I can't comment on whether he was an original source for your uncle. 

Well,

It's definitely impressive to watch seasoned Outlaws shoot a match with speed & accuracy while shooting revolvers & shotguns without using sights. But, even more so is that a few of them can also shoot rifle outlaw style. Outlaw is not for everyone, I promise you.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Shooting Outlaw, you have to aim, it is just from below the shoulders, just like John Wayne and the other western gunmen.  Clean matches are seldom done.  Fast Hammer is the Intercontinental and World Champion and he hits pretty much all of his targets, very fast.  At Back at Cha, he shot the wagon stage in around 11 seconds.  That is two pistols, five rounds each and 10 rifle rounds.  Pretty good shootin!   Judge'm all Duncan's wife is great with that shotgun!!!!  I would encourage all of the cowboys and cowgirls to try outlaw class as long as you feel comfortable that you can shoot at the targets in a safe manner with a reasonable expectation of hitting the targets.  

Waimea has a great reputation as an outlaw shooter.  Maybe he can add some hints on the wire about how to get started.

Archived