SASS Wire Forum

Man to prove Flat Earth in his homemade Rocket Ship!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/23/rocket-launch-will-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html

At last, a brave soul in his own homemade rocket ship is going to prove once and for all that the Earth is FLAT and put an end to this ball-earth hoax! -_-B)

Bless his heart!

Mike Hughes is shown with his steam-powered rocket constructed out of salvage parts. He plans to launch it Saturday.

Bless his heart again...

Well, since the masts of a sailing vessel progressively disappear the further it sails over the horizon, I'm pretty well satisfied that the Earth is NOT flat.....and I don't need to hurl myself into space in a steam cannon to prove it.

And if I hear one more jackass suggest that Masons are part of some vast conspiracy, I'll hurl him into space! :ph34r:

P.T. Barnum reincarnated!

LL

9 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, since the masts of a sailing vessel progressively disappear the further it sails over the horizon, I'm pretty well satisfied that the Earth is NOT flat.....and I don't need to hurl myself into space in a steam cannon to prove it.

And if I hear one more jackass suggest that Masons are part of some vast conspiracy, I'll hurl him into space! :ph34r:

P.T. Barnum reincarnated!

LL

This ball earth hoax was all started by the Free Masons about 500 years ago!  ^_^ :P

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

To the Moon, Alice!!!!  :P:P

LL

Someday, we'll prove the Moon is made of green cheese.  You do know all those supposed pictures of men walking on the Moon was actually done in Hollywood...-_-

The part of earth that will be flat is the spot where he splats shortly after take off.

I didn’t know brick-layers were conspirators. Do they plan to take over the earth one brick at a time? :P

There's already absolute proof the world is round:  if it was flat, the danged cats would've pushed everything off the edge by now!   ;)

Y'all gotta check out his website and click on the left side of the banner at the bottom where it says FLAT EARTH RESEARCH...It's hilarious! :lol:

Don't just click it and watch for a few seconds. Give a few minutes. You will definitely get a kick out of these folks. After 7 minutes the reason for the perception of the earth being round...

At 18 minutes he shows the "map of the earth" the "flat map" and he explains how a flight from the Philippines flies across the flat earth and goes over Alaska to get to Los Angeles...

http://madmikehughes.com/

What I would like to know is, what is on the bottom of our flat domed earth? 

Here is the video: 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I didn’t know brick-layers were conspirators. Do they plan to take over the earth one brick at a time? :P

Sounds like this guy is short a few................ quite a few.........................

This whole flat earth thing has become a conspiracy theory with quite the following.  I don't get it -- anyone with even the slightest bit of intellect can see, as someone else pointed out, a sail boat which appears to sink as it sails away.  Socrates and Plato knew the earth was round for this very reason!  The whole idea of Christopher Columbus being the first to believe the earth was round is a joke; everyone in his day knew it was round -- they just had no idea how big it is or that there were two new continents over here!

Let's not forget that a lot of TV relies on satellites these days.  A satellite cannot maintain orbit around a flat disk; the physics simply doesn't work.  They can choose to believe that no military satellites are real because we are very secretive about them, but they are watching TV on one!

Well I reckon it wil, feel pretty flat when he smacks into it.

49 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I don't know if the whole earth is flat, but I can tell you Kansas is flat.

In some places. I can tell you that Ft. Riley is not completely flat. 

It has some fun humping hills. :D

If you are incapable of dazzling them with your brilliance,..........baffle them with your (fill in the blank) 

11 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

In some places. I can tell you that Ft. Riley is not completely flat. 

It has some fun humping hills. :D

I too was stationed at Ft Riley (1980-81).  Killed my first pheasant and bobwhite there.  

Studies have shown that Kansas is flatter than a pancake...on comparable ratios, of course. 

9 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I too was stationed at Ft Riley (1980-81).  Killed my first pheasant and bobwhite there.  

Studies have shown that Kansas is flatter than a pancake...on comparable ratios, of course. 

Well, I was there much earlier, 1958/1959. We still had border raiders coming in from Missouri

on a regular basis. Perhaps all that traffic wore those humping hills down a mite and the birds moved in . 

16 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Why not? 

First you have to understand how an orbit works:  The earth's roundness is actually what makes a satellite maintain an orbit.  For every 8 kilometers of linear distance on the earth's surface, the earth drops away by 5 meters.  When a satellite is launched, you'll notice when the rocket is still visible from the ground, it changes its trajectory so it is traveling almost laterally in relation to the earth's surface while only going slightly upward.  Then it picks up speed -- a LOT of speed.  That's because once it does finally reach its desired altitude, it is traveling approximately 17,500 miles per hour, and its trajectory is horizontal to the earth. 

But gravity continues to work.  This notion some people have that space has no gravity is sheer bunk.  In a low earth orbit (where the International Space Station resides), for example, the earth's gravity is still functioning at 91% compared to gravity at sea level.  Satellites are big and heavy (some of our spy satellites are literally the size and weight of a greyhound bus!), so gravity is pulling them down towards the earth.  They are literally falling towards the earth from space.

However, that 17,500 miles per hour of LATERAL movement, combined with the 5 meter drop for every 8 kilometers of lateral distance means that before the satellite hits the earth, the earth's surface has fallen away from the satellite.  So it continues falling and moving laterally at the same time -- gravity and lateral speed working together make the satellite fall continuously but never hit the earth.

Because the satellite is above the atmosphere, the amount of drag to slow down the satellite is miniscule, so it doesn't slow down.  That miniscule bit of drag (individual molecules striking the satellite, solar radiation, etc.) will eventually cause the satellite to slow down (but not in my lifetime!), which means it can no longer outpace the earth's curvature.  When that happens, the satellite re-enters the atmosphere and the drag slows it down farther, and causes it to super-heat so much that it burns up long before striking the ground, although some larger objects have survived re-entry.  There are pieces of rocket bodies that were launched in the 1960s which are still on orbit!

The fact the object is continuously falling is what makes it FEEL as though there is no gravity.  In fact, one of the training methods for astronauts is to take them up in an airplane to very high altitudes, and then nosedive towards the earth.  The astronauts remove their seatbelts and begin floating around the passenger compartment because they are falling at the same rate as the aircraft, practicing their maneuvers.  The whole time they feel weightless, but they are falling towards the earth at almost 300 miles per hour because gravity is pulling them.

So that's how orbit works.  Now think about how gravity would actually work with a flat disk earth.  Gravity is directly proportional to mass.  In fact, the earth is not perfectly spherical; it is oblate (like if you sat on a basketball, it would squish and be larger at the equator, just like the earth is).  That imperfect shape causes gravity's effects to be greater near the equator than at the poles.  This is one of those miniscule perturbations to a satellite's orbit we refer to as the "J2 Effect." 

Understanding that, with a flat disk earth, gravity would be overwhelmingly massive at the edges of the earth, and extremely weak on the flat surfaces (i.e. mass would be super-concentrated in the cross section, but the surfaces would be comparatively thin).  It would be like the J2 Effect on steroids.  So it would be easy to launch a rocket off the flat surfaces, but once you tried to change vector to begin orbiting, the massive gravity on the edges would cause it to crash right back down.  HUGE gravity on the edge plus no curvature of the earth = satellite crash. 

On 11/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

This whole flat earth thing has become a conspiracy theory with quite the following.  I don't get it -- anyone with even the slightest bit of intellect can see, as someone else pointed out, a sail boat which appears to sink as it sails away.  Socrates and Plato knew the earth was round for this very reason!  The whole idea of Christopher Columbus being the first to believe the earth was round is a joke; everyone in his day knew it was round -- they just had no idea how big it is or that there were two new continents over here!

Let's not forget that a lot of TV relies on satellites these days.  A satellite cannot maintain orbit around a flat disk; the physics simply doesn't work.  They can choose to believe that no military satellites are real because we are very secretive about them, but they are watching TV on one!

Cy:

Are you suggesting, since I wrote the post about the disappearing sailboat. that I have "...just the slightest bit of intellect."???? :blink::P

Actually, I think you are making the same mistake that I made - thinking that these posts and this "astronut" have anything whatsoever to do with reality or science.  Flat Earthers are a mix of folks just having a good time and some other folks who lack any intellectual capabilities whatsoever.  Laugh and let it go.

LL

19 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Your job must be as one of those new Space Keydets with the new fangled Star Trek badges...

USAF_-_Space_Professional_Badges.png

Not only am I one of them in my military role (Army Reserve), in my "regular" Monday-Friday job, I TEACH THEM!!!

Archived