SASS Wire Forum

Man to prove Flat Earth in his homemade Rocket Ship!

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Flat Earthers are a mix of folks just having a good time and some other folks who lack any intellectual capabilities whatsoever.  Laugh and let it go.

LL

I'm going to disagree here.  Some (only a few), have become rather dangerous.  They are buying in to philosophies like the Sovereign Citizen movement, etc.  Google them if you're unfamiliar, but when I was a law dawg, the Sovereign Citizens took up a lot of my time and attention. 

Holy crap Cyrus--thanks for the physics lesson--That was freaking AWESOME!  I've never understood how that works.  What a wonderfully simple, yet very informative explanation!

All I have to say, Mr. Cyrus, is any explanation longer than one or two sentences usually loses my attention and has to be FAKE. You may try to "baffle me with your brilliance", but I ain't falling for it. I say this as a friend; I hope you wake up someday and realize you have been brainwashed, possibly through the aid of the gray aliens, and are now one of the countless, mindless pawns of the Freemasons, Biderberg group, and other so-called Illuminati. Sadly, when Weekly World News went out of print, the type of press exposure critical to a free society largely disappeared.

Image result for weekly world news

The second linked article says he plans to fly a whopping 1800 feet.  Surely that was a typo???  From that altitude he'll be able to claim he "saw" the flatness of the earth!

By the way, if you've ever flown in a passenger plane at very high altitudes (for a plane, that is), such as a trans-oceanic flight, you can see the earth's roundness during the daylight.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

All I have to say, Mr. Cyrus, is any explanation longer than one or two sentences usually loses my attention and has to be FAKE. You may try to "baffle me with your brilliance", but I ain't falling for it. I say this as a friend; I hope you wake up someday and realize you have been brainwashed, possibly through the aid of the gray aliens, and are now one of the countless, mindless pawns of the Freemasons, Biderberg group, and other so-called Illuminati. Sadly, when Weekly World News went out of print, the type of press exposure critical to a free society largely disappeared.

Image result for weekly world news

Nancy Pelosi isn't on that list...

Just now, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Ok, ok, ok...now on to the next physics lesson (you MADE me go full space nerd!):

For those who have satellite TV, such as Dish Network, why does your dish never move?  It's always pointed in the exact same place.  

Ahhhh, The motor is broken?

I am more interested in where they found Dracula's skull.

15 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm going to disagree here.  Some (only a few), have become rather dangerous.  They are buying in to philosophies like the Sovereign Citizen movement, etc.  Google them if you're unfamiliar, but when I was a law dawg, the Sovereign Citizens took up a lot of my time and attention. 

You're ahead of me in seeing a Flat Earther/Sovereign Citizen connection.  The only similarity I was aware of was the ridiculousness of the respective positions taken by each group - although I could easily understand why someone who desperately maintains that the earth is flat would also be attracted to theories that organized government is illegitimate.  Sovereigns have appeared hereabouts in some of our most colorful prosecutions; the Browns of NH, husband and wife, after being caught evading years of taxes and in danger of losing their home, suddenly became 'sovereign citizens" espousing a stream of "unique" ideas about the illegitimacy of the government and its institutions:

From Wiki:  "The Browns filed numerous pre-trial motions, contending (among other things) that the United States is owned by Paine Webber and that "the most powerful court in America is not the United States Supreme Court, but the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania." According to the Concord Monitor, the Browns filed "about 30 motions, expressing views that their case is governed by commercial law, that they are not the people named in the indictment, that the federal government has no authority and that they can resolve all charges with 'promissory notes' for billions of dollars."  The Browns also claimed: "The U.S. has not had a Treasury since 1921"; "The United States does not have any employees because there is no longer a United States"; "There are no judicial courts in America and there has not been since 1789"; "There have not been any Judges in America since 1789"; "The Revolutionary War was a fraud"; "America is a British colony"; "Britain is owned by the Vatican"; and "A 1040 form [Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return] is for tribute paid to Britain".  Elaine Brown's court-appointed lawyer requested that her competency be evaluated.   On June 2, 2009, the court ruled that Edward and Elaine Brown were competent to stand trial.

On July 9, 2009, Edward and Elaine Brown were found guilty by the federal district court jury of all counts charged.

On October 2, 2009 Elaine Brown was sentenced to 35 years in a Federal prison.

In January 2010, Edward Brown was sentenced to 37 years in prison.

While most folks would think these "theories" are facially false, when raised by a criminal defendant or pro se litigant, the Court has to take the time to consider each.  The net effect is a huge drag on the justice system (which is probably the intent of the defendant) and massive delay in resolution of disputes.

However, I'm still looking into their idea that Paine Webber owns the US; somebody has to be responsible for the horrible state of my 401K....;)

LL

9 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Ok, ok, ok...now on to the next physics lesson (you MADE me go full space nerd!):

For those who have satellite TV, such as Dish Network, why does your dish never move?  It's always pointed in the exact same place.  

Synchronous orbit. Very simple.

Space Nerd since 1960. ;)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Synchronous orbit. Very simple.

Space Nerd since 1960. ;)

Specifically, a geosynchronous orbit.  It simply means the satellite is MUCH higher than a typical spy satellite, and is on the same plane as the earth's equator.  There is a sweet spot at roughly 22,500 miles off the earth's surface which means the satellite's speed matches the speed of the earth's rotation, meaning it stays directly over the same spot of earth all the time.

35 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Specifically, a geosynchronous orbit.  It simply means the satellite is MUCH higher than a typical spy satellite, and is on the same plane as the earth's equator.  There is a sweet spot at roughly 22,500 miles off the earth's surface which means the satellite's speed matches the speed of the earth's rotation, meaning it stays directly over the same spot of earth all the time.

So going back to your original dissertation about what an "orbit" really is...

Do I understand right that a geo-synchronistic satellite keeps falling and trying to hit the same spot, but that same spot keeps turning away just as the satellite is about to catch the spot?

Sounds like a cosmic version of Tom and Jerry, where Jerry Mouse always stays one step ahead of ol' Tom Cat.

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

So going back to your original dissertation about what an "orbit" really is...

Do I understand right that a geo-synchronistic satellite keeps falling and trying to hit the same spot, but that same spot keeps turning away just as the satellite is about to catch the spot?

Sounds like a cosmic version of Tom and Jerry, where Jerry Mouse always stays one step ahead of ol' Tom Cat.

Not quite, but you're on the right track.  It is falling towards earth constantly, but also moving laterally at a very high rate of speed at the same time.  The lateral speed was induced by the rocket it was launched in -- nothing is slowing it down, remember?  So it's circling the earth because it moves past the earth at the same time it's falling towards the earth.  Only at this specific distance, the speed at which it is circling the earth matches the speed at which the earth is turning.  So it remains over the same spot of the earth, while falling and moving laterally at the same time!

On 11/27/2017 at 10:13 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I don't know if the whole earth is flat, but I can tell you Kansas is flat.

Ever been to Lubbock, Tx? You can watch your dog run away for days!

JHC :lol:

37 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Not quite, but you're on the right track.  It is falling towards earth constantly, but also moving laterally at a very high rate of speed at the same time.  The lateral speed was induced by the rocket it was launched in -- nothing is slowing it down, remember?  So it's circling the earth because it moves past the earth at the same time it's falling towards the earth.  Only at this specific distance, the speed at which it is circling the earth matches the speed at which the earth is turning.  So it remains over the same spot of the earth, while falling and moving laterally at the same time!

I like my Tom and Jerry analogy better.  :P

Archived