SASS Wire Forum

Get a Grip Cowboy...

Interesting article in True West Magazine regarding grip selection for your revolvers.

https://truewestmagazine.com/get-a-grip-cowboy/

I shoot my Ruger New Vaqueros with the SASS grips that came with them and have found no issues with slipping, or loosing control of the guns.

So far I have not yet had to blame my gun grips for missing targets. 594a83d6ee6aa_IcanHandleit(muscles)-EmojiSmaller.jpg.2787e430e0e24b7d37fe521c8dc55982.jpg

Thought others might like to read and comment on what Grips work for you. Pics of your favorite grips would be great too!

I blame the grips or the gun or the ammo or the targets or the spotters or global warming or the Russians or the earth's tilt for my misses all the time!

But really...

Eagle gunfighter grips on my Ruger Bisleys and my Ruger Vaqueros. All others, factory grips... Ruger NMV and CImarron OTs grips are just fine for me.

And what Attica Jack says about about dry hands is spot on. 

I made my own.  That way I could shape them to fit my hands.  Then I roughed 'em up with a 1/8" chisel and stained.  No one ever says anything about them because they aren't pretty.  But they are functional and comfy.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I blame the grips or the gun or the ammo or the targets or the spotters or global warming or the Russians or the earth's tilt for my misses all the time!

Maybe your just  not man enough to handle 45 colts?  :P

18 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Maybe your just  not man enough to handle 45 colts?  :P

Oh, you went and dun it now, little brother.

You jess wait til Pa finds out yer bein' fiesty.

Game on. 

:P

On my OMV's I use Eagle GF grips and 1pr. have stag grips. On my Colts I've got stag, elk and Eagles Ultra Ivory. The ultra ivory looks pretty good too. They all fit my hands, shooting double-duelist, not to good, but shooting it anyway. I got the stag back when they were like $90-110.00 / pr.,,,, good ol' days.

Isom

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Interesting article in True West Magazine regarding grip selection for your revolvers.

https://truewestmagazine.com/get-a-grip-cowboy/

I shoot my Ruger New Vaqueros with the SASS grips that came with them and have found no issues with slipping, or loosing control of the guns.

So far I have not yet had to blame my gun grips for missing targets. 594a83d6ee6aa_IcanHandleit(muscles)-EmojiSmaller.jpg.2787e430e0e24b7d37fe521c8dc55982.jpg

Thought others might like to read and comment on what Grips work for you. Pics of your favorite grips would be great too!

"Loosing control"? I think tightening the screws would help with "loose" grips. Sorry but I couldn't resist. Thanks for posting this. I love all things grip related. Guns are like my barbie dolls and I dress them up with grips. And hey, grips are usually cheaper than new guns, but can make you feel like you have a new one.

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I made my own.  That way I could shape them to fit my hands.  Then I roughed 'em up with a 1/8" chisel and stained.  No one ever says anything about them because they aren't pretty.  But they are functional and comfy.

Any chance of a few pictures?

What material?

OLG

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Any chance of a few pictures?

What material?

OLG

Here you go.  They are made from briar.  It's actually the root burl of erica arborea.  The same wood used for making smoking pipes.  It's very tough.

IMG_1033.JPG

Recently bought a pair of Remington Outlaws. They came with the stock grips and a thinner set. Took them to the range to see which set worked better. Shooting a plate rack at 8 yards. Several passes with each hand and each type of grip. The thinner grips had 20 to 25 % fewer misses than the factory grips. So I put the thin grips on both pistols.

My first set of Rugers had factory grips and 4.6 in barrels. I bought a second set with 5.5 in barrels and gunfighter grips. The set with the longer barrels and gunfighter grips have reduced the average number of misses I have on a 6 stage match enough that I noticed the difference. Don't know if it is the longer barrels or the grips but one or both made a difference.

Here you go.  They are made from briar.  It's actually the root burl of erica arborea.  The same wood used for making smoking pipes.  It's very tough.

IMG_1033.JPG

Look very nice.

Doc:

Are those grips on "Smoke Wagons" by chance? :P

Like Attica Jack I shoot Duelist and I have Altamont slim grips on my .45 Ruger with 7.5" Bbl OMV and on my .45 with 5.5" Bbl  NMV I kept the stock grips. On the other original model Vaqueros that I no longer have (he grumbled under his breath) I had slim grips on those as well.

I do have an SBH hammer on my 7.5" OMV. the combination of the heavier weight, the thinner grip, different springs and the long barrel all work really well together for me. I am seriously thinking of getting another 7.5" .45 OMV and doing the same thing with it.

What's odd to me is on the NMV I tried the SBH hammer with stock grips and springs. I would miss all the time with that set up shooting Duelist. I couldn't figure it out. It felt great but I kept having misses if I tried to speed up at all. I was about to get some new springs and try them - they are factory now. My wife said to me, and I quote "Why don't you put the original hammer back on it. What is it that you're always telling people 'If something doesn't work go back to original and start again'?". By golly she was right...or I was right...Anyway, I put the factory hammer back, left the factory springs and grips and I am pretty happy with it. Heck, I may just go ahead and duplicate that one too. :)

But not until I try some slim Altamont grips on it...I just have to. ;) Who knows. That might make it even better for me...

Edited to say - I didn't mention that for a long time I had to shoot 2 handed as I had issues with my wrists and when I switched back to Duelist 3 months ago that is when I figured out what worked on the OMV and last month I figured out the NMV....until I find my next excuse for excessive misses...Ahem.

594b1c5d3f645_PistolGrips.jpg.cf5fda77c9f3a49ad0f084b9ea744123.jpg

Mine are buckeye burl made by "BearPaw" who sells them on ebay.  They actually look a bit better in person.

Recoil? you are kidding huh?:rolleyes:

My Ruger New Vaqueros came with the black plastic grips, I replaced them with the rosewood diamond checkered or whatever you call them from Ruger, which I think are made by altamont or something.  Do they give me a better grip?  Maybe, I don't know.

1462550_10200563285244664_218896377_o.jp

8 hours ago, Casey Green said:

I have a pair of his grips in a different wood but wasn't sure if they were SASS legal.

What it is about them that makes you question if they're SASS legal?

10 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

Mine are buckeye burl made by "BearPaw" who sells them on ebay.  They actually look a bit better in person.

CodyMaverick:

As I am sure you do too, when you are wearing them. :D:)

6 minutes ago, Casey Green said:

The shape of the grips is not ctypical for a saa/clone. I.e. wider at the top. Hard to explain without a picture. Kinda similar to the "rooster shooter" type grips which are banned.

What makes the Rooster Shooter grips illegal is the finger grooves.  IIRC, the Rooster Shooter grips are legal if they came on the gun from the factory as in the Uberti Rooster Shooter model.

The Bearpaw grips are thicker overall, not just at the top, but the basic shape is still the same as the grips that came with the pistols.  The grips the come with the blue pistols are wood rather than the black plastic ones that come on the stainless models and the wooden ones have that wider shape at the top where the black plastic ones don't.

28 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

What makes the Rooster Shooter grips illegal is the finger grooves.  IIRC, the Rooster Shooter grips are legal if they came on the gun from the factory as in the Uberti Rooster Shooter model.

The Bearpaw grips are thicker overall, not just at the top, but the basic shape is still the same as the grips that came with the pistols.  The grips the come with the blue pistols are wood rather than the black plastic ones that come on the stainless models and the wooden ones have that wider shape at the top where the black plastic ones don't.

I just wondered because the wide part at the top of the bearpaw grips might be considered an aid for where to position your hand on the pistol like the grooves on the rooster shooter (and you are correct that those grips are legal if they came on the gun). I'm not saying the Bearpaw grips should be illegal, I just wondered if there was an issue there.

For those of us who aren't aware of what the Cimarron Uberti Rooster Shooter Model P SAA looks like as discussed between Casey Green and CodyMaverick, here it is:

594bd787bb5f2_CimarronUbertiRoosterShooterModelPSAA.JPG.57b922e2b87c5384b97e492e2847c960.JPG

I shoot Duelist using OM Vaqueros, one with a 7-1/2" bbl and one with a 5-1/2" bbl.  I can't recall, but I think these are Eagle grips, smooth, made from buffalo horn or walnut. I shoot fairly stout .44-40 or .44 Extra-long Russian (.44 Mangle-em load to match the trajectories of the .44-40 loads. These do recoil some, and the smooth grips allow the guns to rotate upward slightly...which allows me to hook the standard hammer with my thumb and come right back down on target.  I don't have any of the New Vaqueros, except for a welded dummy that I use to block holsters.  I have medium hands. If I were to shoot New Vaqueros, I would have to replace the grip panels with ones that are fuller, as the factory grips are slimmer than those on a Colt's SA!  Does shooting this way slow me down? Sure, but I'm slowing down some anyhow. But I usually hit the targets. ("Speed's fine, accuracy's final. There's no second place winner in a gunfight!"

39 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Here are some dress grips I made several years back.  Same wood as the other grips I made.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Those are outstanding looking grips. Do you ever make grips for sale? I have a colt being built in the custom shop as we speak and want to put on some really nice one piece wood grips.

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

Those are outstanding looking grips. Do you ever make grips for sale? I have a colt being built in the custom shop as we speak and want to put on some really nice one piece wood grips.

Thank you.  I did at one point for locals only, but don't any longer.  I developed a palsy in my hands and can't hold things still any longer, which makes fine work and fitting very difficult and time consuming.

Just now, Doc Shapiro said:

Thank you.  I did at one point for locals only, but don't any longer.  I developed a palsy in my hands and can't hold things still any longer, which makes fine work and fitting very difficult and time consuming.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I wish you well and hope I get to shoot with you one day.

Smooth bone grips.  A lot of character.  Never had a problem with sweaty palms.

IMG_04981.jpg

Archived