SASS Wire Forum

Ripped off in Austin TX

What bumm luck.  I bought a rifle last year off of the SASS Wire Classified forum and had a great transaction.  First time buying from a forum and the process was great; a hiccup in getting the rifle to California, but nothing a phone call couldn't fix.  I hope this was not a member of SASS who duped you, I have always felt very comfortable buying from out SASS community.  Bst of luck in getting a hold of the feller so you can get this resolved.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A New Hope (as they said in star wars)

I got a surprise today because I received an email from the guys wife (same email address) and she stated that the husband had died because of the car crash and if I gave her my address she would get me my money back in a few days.  I still have my doubts but there is always hope.  In the mean time I have filed the police report just to cover my bases.  I will respond here if/when I get my money back.

NCD

Well obviously I hope for the best.  But prepare for the worse.  

I hope I'm dead wrong but this just keeps going deeper down a dark hole.  

So there was an email about getting in a wreck and now he's dead?  And you still have no real ID on this guy?  

There are many hard lessons learned for all reading this.   This is exactly why I never ever put any personal info in a post much less a want ad in a totally public forum.  Anyone can see this.  They don't need to be a member of the forum.  

That being said since this is an open and public forum, I would really hesitate in posting people's personal info you may have gotten from a google search.....  you have no idea who your talking about and you're opening yourself up for trouble.  

As someone else said, always talk to the person before sending money.   I read where you're not sure which forum he contacted you though.  

And I think someone mentioned the FBI?  Never gonna happen.  They won't get involved for a $1000 bucks.  There are to many avenues that have to be exausted before anything legal happens.  The PO will be your first stop but they won't touch it until 30 days.  

Anyway like I said I hope this does turn out well.  Hard lesson to swallow.  

45 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I got a surprise today because I received an email from the guys wife (same email address) and she stated that the husband had died because of the car crash and if I gave her my address she would get me my money back in a few days.  I still have my doubts but there is always hope.  In the mean time I have filed the police report just to cover my bases.  I will respond here if/when I get my money back.

NCD

Wishing you best of luck Nickel City Dude. I as well have had excellent luck on this forum buying from Cowboys/Girls. Keep an eye on the obituaries in Austin and see if the name comes up. Also, check the news papers for an article about the so called accident. Maybe it's for real and the poor guy did get killed. I think getting an e-mail from the supposed wife is a good sign, doubt you'd hear anything from a scammer.

17 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

Talk to the post office.  Since you used a postal money order, that would be a federal mail order fraud crime.

My experience with the Post Office in something similar is for a fee they'll give you a copy of the signature of who cashed the money order, said I could use it if I took them to court. So don't expect help from the PO.

Randy

Sense Nothong is for sale here . This post should be on the wire .

Not in the Classifieds . 

Just saying . 

I hope it will all work out for you .

God bless .

I've been reading these forums for a while as I try to figure out if SASS is something I would like to do.  Today, I decided to register, because I hate to see people get ripped off.  I looked up the apartment online and I believe it is part of the Shadowbend Ridge public housing complex.  https://www.hacanet.org/location/shadowbend-ridge/8007352989/  You might want to call the manger and validate the story about the car accident and demise of Avelia Saldana.

MANAGER
(512) 416-7494
FSS CONTACT
Andrea Smith (512) 589-7532 or David Velazquez (512) 767-7801

14 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Not in the Classifieds . 

Just saying . 

God bless .

I disagree... I believe the Classifieds is exactly where this belongs

16 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Not in the Classifieds . 

Just saying . 

God bless .

Howdy Gents,

I've read the thread and I think Cat is right. It belongs in the Classifieds as a "buyer beware."

Regards,

Allie Mo

12 minutes ago, Topher said:

I've been reading these forums for a while as I try to figure out if SASS is something I would like to do.  Today, I decided to register, because I hate to see people get ripped off.  I looked up the apartment online and I believe it is part of the Shadowbend Ridge public housing complex.  https://www.hacanet.org/location/shadowbend-ridge/8007352989/  You might want to call the manger and validate the story about the car accident and demise of Avelia Saldana.

MANAGER
(512) 416-7494
FSS CONTACT

A very helpful first post. Welcome friend.

2 hours ago, Topher said:

MANAGER
(512) 416-7494
FSS CONTACT

Topher

Thanks for the information I will call them tomorrow.

NCD

It won't be of much use this time, but I discovered the PistolPay service can provide a little peace of mind when purchasing a firearm online.

For more info, check out this LINK.

Good luck I was nailed by a cc scam on a dead cc two weeks in a row the first time I was pissed the second week I called more than the cc people who I asked how was a dead cc number allowed to clear especially after complying the first week the second week I was able to block all claims against airbnb out of California who tried to hit me up for over $2300 each weekend.

I work in the vicinity of the area.  I'll do a drive by tomorrow if I can and see what I see. Will let you know.  Much like my good friend Cowboy Small, Email is a great way to contact me.

Hody:

I had a deal similar to this happen to me.  I wrote a letter to the Attorney General of the state, department of consumer Fraud.  Got a response from them and in a couple of weeks I got a resolution.  I had a problem once before like this and did the same.  I think you might want to try that recourse. In addition, as was mentioned before, a call to the ATF and the FBI might get this resolved.

STL Suomi

After being shuffeled around to several agencys in TX and NY I have made a report to my local police.  I got a call from one of the detectives and they are making inqueries for me.  But a look around by someone in the local area can't hurt.

On May 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Nickel City Dude said:

NCD

Sounds to me like these people have a full fledged scamming BUSINESS going.

i hope you get your money back, but I don't think you'll get it like this.  This sounds like they are now coming after you for MORE money, hoping you will anti up more cash down the rat hole, (or more personal information, or SOMETHING) in hopes (on your part) of getting your original stolen $1000 back.  To get your cash back, you're going to have to make things hot in some way for this thief.

Be careful, and report this latest communication to the Austin PD.  Ask them to open a case file on this....get the case number and contact person.  Update as you go.

Oh, ask the police if there has been a recent traffic death of someone named Saldana.  Also, if by some stretch this IS legitimate, the email address may be that of the wife, since, as I previously said, the email name sounds (hispanic) feminine.

CB

I have already gone to the TX state police who refered me to the Austin police who refered me to my local police.  I have filed a report with my local police and one of the detectives called me yesterday to get some more information and said that she would look into the matter.  She was out all day today so I am hoping to hear from her tomorrow.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, Nickel City Dude said:

I went to the PO this morning and they told me that there isn’t anything they can do until 30 days are up.  But suggested I call the TX state Police.  The state police referred me to the Austin police and they said I should contact my local police.  I called them and got a recording.  I guess I am SOL and will never see my $1000 again.

If you give up on this, they win!  I would spend an exponential amount, as compared to the purchase price, to make sure someone doesn't get away with it.  If you let them off the hook, they will continue to defraud others!

I hope you can recover the cost!

Just my $0.02,

WK

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

It won't be of much use this time, but I discovered the PistolPay service can provide a little peace of mind when purchasing a firearm online.

For more info, check out this LINK.

Like others here, my first 2 transactions with SASS Members went well, one had another SASS member's recommendation and one was active. I will admit I wish I knew about this Pistol Pay service as it would have provided some piece of mind. I wondered if there was some sort of "escrow" service to guarantee both party's interest. My budget is tapped out for now but will keep it in mind for the future. Again, though the advice about communication here is paramount. If the fellow is dead that is indeed sad, but like others it still seems pretty fishy to me.

The address is a duplex located in a lower income area of South Austin.  there is an A unit and a B unit.  No vehicles were present when I drove by at around 12:30.   Good Luck

PD

Thanks for the information.  I will pass it along to my local police detective.  If you go by there again and can get a licence plate number I would appreciate it.

NCD

Had a similar situation. Said he forgot to ship the guns. Then said he was in India, work related. Then he said his brother was supposed to send them.

I called ATF. They won't get involved in a private sale. I called my local sheriff. They called the sellers local sheriff. That department sent a deputy to his house. Guns were shipped that same day. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

PD

Thanks for the information.  I will pass it along to my local police detective.  If you go by there again and can get a licence plate number I would appreciate it.

NCD

I'd probably not recommend this.... who knows who this character is.    Let the police handle it.  Plus I hate to bring this up but there is no proof the guy you sent the money to even lives there.  There have been cases where the perp watches a house to know when no one is there and when the mailman delivers the mail.  He uses that address to have things sent to and grabs it before the person that actually lives there comes home.  If that's the case, he most likely lives in the area.  On the other hand there are some really stupid criminals.

I'll just say it again...  let the police do their job.

• 2 weeks later...

For those people that were following this thread….My local Police, the Austin Police and the ATF are all working on this case.  No headway yet but I am hopeful.

Been a long time since I posted anywhere on the Wire. But I wanted to jump in here with some personal experience.  1. The FBI has an internet fraud division and does get involved in these type cases. A friend of mine, reply Mason & SASS member bought a Colt .from a "dealer" down in Fl who never shipped the gun & wouldn't  reply to his emails.  He contacted the FBI & the US Postal Inspectors.  Both emailed him links to web pages where he could fill in the pertinent info.  The FBI started working the case but they haven't gotten anywhere yet & it's been over a year.  He emails them every few months. The postal inspectors work mail fraud cases regardless of the method of payment if you used the PO to send payment.  

You can contact the Travis County Clerk's Office & they can look up any death certificates of men with the surname of that guy between the time that you mailed the MO & the current date

Over the years I've bought sold tons of stuff here in the Classifieds and never had a problem, including personal checks.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:56 PM, Nickel City Dude said:

For those people that were following this thread….My local Police, the Austin Police and the ATF are all working on this case.  No headway yet but I am hopeful.

Keep us posted, Wishing you best of luck.

I think that if we have a letter writing campaign to the FBI, White House, ATF, and Postal Inspector's Office then they would have to do something.  Hand written letters usually get treated a little differently as most governmental agencies feel that if you took the time to write it out, then you are not likely to go away.  When I was in EL, we got a tip from a bank teller that an older lady was being swindled out of $3,000.00 in a roof scam.  My officers got there in time at the bank and arrested one of the people involved.  Following a chain of leads, they were found at a local hotel, and six additional arrest were made.  On one scammer alone there were over 200 agencies looking for him.  They planned each and every more, had equipment to make fake ID, and so on.  So, the long and short of it is to keep the heat on.  I think the death story is bogus!  Anyone can logged on to any email account at just about any library.  Keep pressing the case.

Guest Grass Range #51406

J Dollar I disagree with you. If this thief was in my area I would get a pic of his license plate and any other info I could get to help resolve the issue. To include going to his door and asking him/her about the deal.

1 hour ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

J Dollar I disagree with you. If this thief was in my area I would get a pic of his license plate and any other info I could get to help resolve the issue. To include going to his door and asking him/her about the deal.

And thats fine to disagree....   :)  All I can say is good luck with that.    First off, the police really dislike when people get in their way.    They have an open investigation so what makes you think  knocking on his door is going to get you anywhere short of some sort of confrontation possibly. and maybe a bad one.....     You have no idea who this guy is or what he would do if confronted.   So how far would you take it if he answered the door and told you to get off his property?  You think hes going to confess right there?  Nope....  plus like I said, most likely the guy doesn't live at that address.

The police already have the address so they may or may not have already gone there but you taking a photo of some random car parked in the driveway isn't going to help the police.  How do you know that its the perps car and not some family friend or house keeper, or... or....  and even if it was his car do you think the police would give you a slap on the back and say thanks for a job well done! Why didn't we think of that?  Or tell you to stay clear.  I think the latter.

Look, this is a very raw thing for someone getting ripped off like that.  Of course its human nature to want to go to the guys house and punch the daylights out of him....  but as frustrating as it is, you need to stand down.  

The bottom line is folks need to think clearly.  This isn't a reality TV show where you get to send in your vote to change the outcome.

1 hour ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

Let me get this straight. You would go to the "thief's" house and get someone's license plate (since you don't know who the "thief" is) and then knock on the door asking about why he stole your money. 

First some basic questions.

Would you show up at his home armed? I mean since you know he's the thief. 

Do you have life insurance?  Since you don't know what he will do next and you are on his property and you are not the police. 

Is the policy paid up?

Can I be the beneficiary? 

We all like to play cowboy and think this is the old west but its not, also we're not the police. 

It's dangerous what you're proposing. Just plain and simple and can get you hurt or at the very least sued. Which would probably happen no matter what you found out in your investigation. 

Archived