SASS Wire Forum

New Shooters: Heed Mother's Advice

New Shooters – Heed Mother’s Advice

As only a 9 month member of SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting, I have been performing my personal due diligence in learning about this fascinating sport. I have posted many a Forum Topic on the SASS WIRE, drawing from the experience of established shooters and taking copious notes. I have researched the Internet extensively and watched almost every video out there relating to CAS. While all of this has provided me with the mental knowledge I so desperately sought, there was still a major piece missing….REALITY.

We all know that kids playing video games on the Internet can become out of touch with REALITY, and the same applies to Cowboy Action Shooting. Reading the SASS Shooter’s Handbook, and knowing all about the sport is only part of the process. The most important part is to.……GET OUT THERE. Step out from behind the computer monitor and your books and literature and EXPERIENCE REALITY.

When I first became a member of SASS, I did attend several of the matches of our local club, the Lake County Pistoleros. It was primarily to take pictures and video documenting the event and taking in the ambience of the sport.

It wasn’t until this past weekend that I truly EXPERIENCED the sport without taking a shot. Granted I have yet to fully acquire all of my firearms, as I am still researching my choices, but I did contact our Match Director, Arcadia Outlaw, and asked if I could come out to help with setting up the stages for the July 16th match. He was delighted that I was interested in helping and my attendance was well received. More importantly, I was able to have one-on-one conversations with the other club shooters that assisted in the set-up such as Cuban Crisis (AKA El Kabong), Pawnee James and Bruchester Diamond, along with Arcadia. These conversations were invaluable.

I also learned something you won’t find on the Internet, and that is the thought process that goes into creating the individual stages and the hard manual labor, in the blazing sun, that goes into setting the stages up. I obtained a better appreciation for the steps that are involved in preparing for a match. I learned about shot sequences on the targets, along with transition patterns between pistols, rifle and shotgun positions. I also felt the comradery with the gang, the discussions about the stage set-up, and more importantly, I found that they had a genuine concern for the other shooters as to how they would view the stages the next day and the set-up crew implemented those changes into the stage. Did they accommodate left and right handed shooters? Did they take into consideration, those that may be height challenged? Did they consider our “Old Timers”? More importantly, they ALWAYS kept the SAFETY of the shooters in mind. I recall one stage being set up that had a unique shooting angle to the target that could result in ricochets, and the potential problem was noted and eliminated.

The following morning was match time, and I had previously offered my assistance in any way I could help. My goal was two-fold. First, I would learn about the various duties that must be performed during the course of the match, and second, by offering my assistance, I would be relieving someone else, who could use that time to concentrate on their turn to shoot.

At the loading table, I learned how to determine when the pistols were properly loaded, with the all-important empty chamber to hammer relationship, something I knew was supposed to happen, but never read anywhere how to determine it was done properly. I also observed the various methods by which each shooter assured themselves that the proper amount of ammo was available to load into each separate firearm.

At the unloading table, I was provided step-by-step instructions on how to properly inspect each firearm to ensure they were safe.

At both the loading and unloading table, I was able to get an up close view of the various types of pistols, rifles and shotguns that each shooter was using, and to converse with them (albeit briefly at the loading table since they were concentrating on shooting next), about how they selected their firearms.

I spent some time picking up spent ammo after each shooter was through with the stage. Speed and accuracy, just as in shooting, were the most important aspects of this job, as the typical collection of four (4) shotgun shells and ten (10) rifle casings in less than 15 seconds is not a job for the lazy person. Many observations were made during this process that can easily be over-looked from being a mere spectator. First of all, I found myself watching the pattern of ejection of the casings as they flew “willy-nilly” out of the lever action rifle receiver. My thought process was to use this to assist me in knowing where they would be at the end of the stage for easier location to pick them up. Casings were flying everywhere and depending on the rifle being used, and the speed at which the shooter was managing the lever, determined where they landed. Some were neatly stacked in one location, others spread around like buckshot. On several occasions, I removed brass from the shooters hat at the unloading table.

I also learned safety. At one point, after the shooter was finished with the stage, I proceeded to start picking up casings, when I was quickly advised that the shooter had not yet picked up the long guns, pointing them skyward. I was not in any immediate danger; however, I was appreciative of the quick thinking of the shooters.

I was also fully aware that some shooters reload, to keep the cost of the ammo down, and this is the primary reason for the collection of spent casings. This saves the shooter money in the long run, and makes acquiring all of their spent casings more important.

I knew I was not going to be a spotter during the match, as I understood the developed skill that was necessary to be a good spotter. The same skill is required during a tennis match, to determine if a serve coming at 130+MPH touched any portion of the line. In both instances, the determinations made by the spotter, directly impact the recorded performance of the player/shooter. At this early stage, I would not want to put myself in that position. I will feel more comfortable once I begin shooting myself, and attending more matches to take on that important task, although I did pick up a few tricks of the trade.

Our Club uses the A.C.E.S. (Automated Cowboy Easy Shooting) software program to record our scores, and although I never volunteered to keep track of each shooter’s score, I was able to observe how easy the program is to use and it’s elimination of massive amounts of paperwork. One day too, I will assist in this endeavor.

I wish to thank the following shooters, (no particular order) who took time out to assist me and answer all of my questions, and if I forgot someone, my sincere apologies (email me and I will edit the list):

Arcadia Outlaw

Cuban Crisis (AKA El Kabong)

Pawnee James

Bruchester Diamond

Santa Fe River Stan

Delta Glen

Cypress Sam

Cypress Sun

Amarillo Rattler

Shelleen

All in all, it was more knowledge than I could ever have imagined was available just by assisting in a match, a suggestion that has been offered here on the SASS WIRE many a times to new shooters.

Lesson learned: New Shooters – Heed Mother’s Advice

I wouldn't want to spot for some of the folks on that list either, my eyes and brain don't work as fast as they shoot!

That said, one of the first things I did at a cowboy match, one that I just went to watch, was spot. I was hesitant, but in less than a minute it was explained to me how to do it, and not to worry cuz that's why there are three spotters. By the end of that match those same cowboys had offered enough times that I finally took them up on trying a stage, that's all it took, I was hooked.

You make a good point though, 'book learning' can only take you so far before ya gotta go jump in the pool and get wet.

Have fun!

Grizz

I did the same thing when I first started out! I went to one match, and I was hooked. I knew I didn't have the funds to acquire all the irons any time soon, so I just watched and helped out. I recommend that everyone looking at the sport should go to a match and see how it is done. After a match or two of watching, find a way to make yourself useful, resetting shotgun targets, picking up brass, spotting, or assisting at the loading or unloading table. If showing up early is an option, meet up with the match director and make sure everything is set up. If stage prep is done the day prior and you can show up, do it. I learned so much before I was able to shoot my first match just by helping out and talking with the shooters and match director. Most shooters will be willing to let any new comer and try a stage using their guns, but if a new shooter is helping out with the match, that new shooter will have cowboys lining up to hand over guns and ammo so the new comer can give it a go. This was well written and great advice to anyone who is getting into the sport.

Well done. I have as much or more fun on the work days at the range as I do shooting. Just wish I lived closer to Paradise Pass to be more helpful. The amount of work it takes to run a club is amazing to me. And the fine folks that do it month in and month out amaze me too. OK, some of them scare me too.....

Lesson learned: New Shooters – Heed Mother’s Advice

A wonderful post with some really great thoughts and observations. But, I have to say this, it was VERY hard to read. That font, while cool to look at, is a real pain on the eyes. :)

This is not a criticism of Kit, but a general observation that he merely prompted me to make. Simple basic fonts are the default ones for a reason, they are easy to read.

A wonderful post with some really great thoughts and observations. But, I have to say this, it was VERY hard to read. That font, while cool to look at, is a real pain on the eyes. :)

This is not a criticism of Kit, but a general observation that he merely prompted me to make. Simple basic fonts are the default ones for a reason, they are easy to read.

I was about to post the same thing. Please stick with the generic default font. That is if you care if people actually read it. If you don't, then it doesn't really matter anyway right?

I thought that it was much easier to read and appreciate the larger font. Thanks for sharing your experience and it sounds like you're hooked. Welcome to the game.

Father Kit, it was a pleasure having you on the posse this weekend. You have an amazing memory. Reading your post reminded me of how quickly I forget stuff. I hope you can come to Orlando for our match on the first Saturday of August. If you don't have all your gear yet, let me know. I have some loaners.

We all get into this game from different places.

Some have never shot a competition of any type. This post is a very good explanation to them of a way to make a positive entry into the game.

Others have shot different venues of competition for decades, especially other action types like IPSC and IDPA. This post is a reminder to those shooters that other new shooters come to our game as total newbies.

Thanks for the post.

Quit worrying about not having all your guns! Go SHOOT! Folks wiil loan you what you need. Go now and shoot!

I remember my first time. I called Bum Steer At Capitol City and told him I would like to come watch. He told me

NO - He said I could not come watch, But to bring what I had and the rest would be available. When I got there,

there was so much equipment offered that you could have outfitted 2 cowboys!!

Take up Cypress Sam's offer of smokeless guns for the August Orlando match.

OR

Take my offer of Black Powder guns for the same match.

Either way, you'll be grinning ear to ear all day long.

Welcome to the Trail,

Amarillo Rattler

Everyone, thank you so far for your input and kind words.

In response to a few:

Grizzly Dave - I believe you have convinced me to give spotting a "shot". LOL

BartEnder - I did at set-up, during the match and subsequently (see this thread) received numerous offers from shooters who were more than willing to loan me their guns, which I may consider when the time becomes available.

Allie Mo - You are so kind. More of my experiences will be forthcoming.

H.K. Uriah & Redwood Kid - My sincere apologies for the original font usage. I got caught up in the moment and selected a font that matched the old west style. I made the size bigger to make it more readable.

Abe E.S.Corpus - Now I know why everyone was so friendly. And I thought it was my good looks and charm. No wonder I was put to work so quickly. LOL.

Cypress Sam & Amarillo Rattler - Your friendship will always be remembered, and if the timing is right (may be out of town that weekend) I may take you up on your offers.

Father Kit,

Anybody who is as friendly, interested and willing to help as you are would be a welcome addition at any club, anywhere. Your excitement is contagious even to old, experienced shooters. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Possum

Everyone, thank you so far for your input and kind words.

In response to a few:

Grizzly Dave - I believe you have convinced me to give spotting a "shot". LOL

BartEnder - I did at set-up, during the match and subsequently (see this thread) received numerous offers from shooters who were more than willing to loan me their guns, which I may consider when the time becomes available.

Allie Mo - You are so kind. More of my experiences will be forthcoming.

H.K. Uriah & Redwood Kid - My sincere apologies for the original font usage. I got caught up in the moment and selected a font that matched the old west style. I made the size bigger to make it more readable.

Abe E.S.Corpus - Now I know why everyone was so friendly. And I thought it was my good looks and charm. No wonder I was put to work so quickly. LOL.

Cypress Sam & Amarillo Rattler - Your friendship will always be remembered, and if the timing is right (may be out of town that weekend) I may take you up on your offers.

I read this thread again with my phone this time and the font is really easy to read. I guess it depends on the device. I really like the avatar by the way.

Hey Kit,

About the font, you said you used a Western font. It is best to use one of the fonts in the Font drop down, they are standard on most computers. If the reader does not have the font you used, it will be transformed to a standard font. What I see on your post looks like a very large Times New Roman on my device.

Aside: Common usability tests, at the time I worked in IT, found serif fonts like Times New Roman best for the printed page and sans serif fonts best for computer screens. So, I just go with the flow (default). Other people like to be unique and customize. That is fine too. It is just best to use one of the defaults or you will not know what it will turn into on some devices.

Regards,

Allie

YEP !!! wear clean underwear when you go out a shooting... :blink::ph34r::P

Jabez Cowboy

Well now you tell me. That would explain why no one wanted to stand next to me at the loading table

Archived