SASS Wire Forum

Some Good Quotes

DocWard

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that are among these Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness"

Turn out the lights the party's over.

"Somebody tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly, of course.

Well, I had been thinking great American quotes from history, in keeping with the article. But in the case of Firefly, I do have to make an exception.

"Somebody tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly, of course.

Well, I had been thinking great American quotes from history, in keeping with the article. But in the case of Firefly, I do have to make an exception.

Thanks Doc.

How about this one from the afore mentioned Chesty Puller: At the Chosin Reservoir, when informed that the Chinese had The Marines surrounded, was reported the have said, "Good. Now we can kill the ba$tards no matter which way we shoot."

These are the times that try men's souls.

Thomas Paine

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

One of my favorites

Knowledge does not grow like a tree where you dig a hole, plant your feet, cover them with dirt, and pour water on them daily. Knowledge grows with time, work, and dedicated effort. It cannot come by any other means."

-- Ed Parker

One of my favorites

Knowledge does not grow like a tree where you dig a hole, plant your feet, cover them with dirt, and pour water on them daily. Knowledge grows with time, work, and dedicated effort. It cannot come by any other means."

-- Ed Parker

A knowing nod from someone who knows who Mr. Parker was.

Okay, lots of good quotes. Here's a more current one.......wildly appropriate, I'd say:

"The problems we face today exist because the

people who work for a living are outnumbered

by those who vote for a living."

Here is one from a man who's mother was an American, and one of a few granted honorary citizenship, Winston Churchill

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

Here is one from a man who's mother was an American, and one of a few granted honorary citizenship, Winston Churchill

Another thing of considerable worth that he penned, Unfortunately his countrymen have once again failed to learn from their own history.

“When the ships from America approached our shores with their priceless arms, special trains were waiting in all ports to receive their cargoes. The Home Guard in every county, in every village, sat up through the night to receive them ... . By the end of July we were an armed nation ... . Anyhow, if we had to go down fighting … a lot of our men and some women had weapons in their hands … .”

Without the generosity of thousands of private American citizens including Major John W. Hession; Churchill and his countrymen would have been incapable of defending their shores with much more than pitchforks and torches.

Another thing of considerable worth that he penned, Unfortunately his countrymen have once again failed to learn from their own history.

Without the generosity of thousands of private American citizens including Major John W. Hession; Churchill and his countrymen would have been incapable of defending their shores with much more than pitchforks and torches.

and we were thanked by phrases such as "Over paid, over sexed and over here".

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose and that is the path of surrender or submission. John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States.

I did not like John Kennedy but I am ashamed how far we have sunk since that noble statement.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

“Let’s set the record straight. There is no argument over the choice between peace and war, but there is only one guaranteed way you can have peace–and you can have it in the next second–surrender.

Admittedly there is a risk in any course we follow other than this, but every lesson in history tells us that the greater risk lies in appeasement, and this is the specter our well-meaning liberal friends refuse to face–that their policy of accommodation is appeasement, and it gives no choice between peace and war, only between fight and surrender. If we continue to accommodate, continue to back and retreat, eventually we have to face the final demand–the ultimatum. And what then? When Nikita Khrushchev has told his people he knows what our answer will be? He has told them that we are retreating under the pressure of the Cold War, and someday when the time comes to deliver the ultimatum, our surrender will be voluntary because by that time we will have weakened from within spiritually, morally, and economically. He believes this because from our side he has heard voices pleading for “peace at any price” or “better Red than dead,” or as one commentator put it, he would rather “live on his knees than die on his feet.” And therein lies the road to war, because those voices don’t speak for the rest of us. You and I know and do not believe that life is so dear and peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. If nothing in life is worth dying for, when did this begin–just in the face of this enemy? Or should Moses have told the children of Israel to live in slavery under the pharaohs? Should Christ have refused the cross? Should the patriots at Concord Bridge have thrown down their guns and refused to fire the shot heard ’round the world? The martyrs of history were not fools, and our honored dead who gave their lives to stop the advance of the Nazis didn’t die in vain. Where, then, is the road to peace? Well, it’s a simple answer after all.

You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, “There is a price we will not pay.” There is a point beyond which they must not advance. This is the meaning in the phrase of Barry Goldwater’s “peace through strength.” Winston Churchill said that “the destiny of man is not measured by material computation. When great forces are on the move in the world, we learn we are spirits–not animals.” And he said, “There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty.”

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. “

Ronald Reagan

Archived