SASS Wire Forum

Some Good Quotes

DocWard

I am not fond of the use of the word "manliest," or even implying they are the best, but these are undoubtedly 25 quotes that should awe, impress and inspire, especially when considering their context. Anyone care to add others?

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2016/03/15/the-25-manliest-quotes-by-americans-n2133871

Mr.Gorbachev, tear down this wall!!!

An excellent one! One which nobody wanted him to say!

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinski.

Read my lips, no new taxes.

One of my bosses told me one time when I didnt show up to work because I was hungover "Hell I've been whiskey sick more times than I can count and it never stopped me from driving to work."

I think you need to work on your favorite awesome, inspiring quotes, Yul.

Ya mean like "Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country"?

One of my favorites is from Lt. Commander Ernest E. Evans, Commander of the USS Johnston, at her commissioning ceremony. With shades of John Paul Jones, he said "This is going to be a fighting ship, I intend to go in harm's way, and anyone who doesn't want to go along had better get off right now."

One would think it a bit of braggadocio from a Destroyer skipper, but boy, he wasn't kidding.

Edit: I know the quote, but wanted to double check to make sure I got the quote right. When I did, I ran across this:

Johnston's first action took place three months later in the Marshall Islands where she bombarded the southern Kwajalein beaches on 1 Feb 1944, supporting the landing operations. During bombardment, gunnery officer Robert C. Hagen spotted a Japanese officer on the beach, waving a saber to instill morale as he coordinated the defenses. Hagen directed all five of Johnston's main 5-inch guns at the officer and fired, obliterating the Japanese officer. "Mr. Hagen, that was very good shooting", Evans said from the bridge. "But in the future, try not to waste so much ammunition on one individual."

Ya mean like "Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country"?

One of the best!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
― Samuel Adams

"Aww, Nuts"

-Gen. McAuliffe

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

The quote he was told to say was "One small step for A man, one giant leap for mankind.", which is more grammatically correct, and doesn't have the issue with "man" and "mankind" effectively being entities the same.

"It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission."

-- Rear Admiral Grace Hopper (who also coined the term "bug" as it applies to a computer error)

"I really didn't say everything I said. [...] Then again, I might have said 'em, but you never know."

-- Yogi Berra

It depends on what the definition of the word is, is.

Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. (Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi)

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. (P. J. O'Rourke)

One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence. (Charles A. Beard)

The Bill of Rights is a born rebel. It reeks with sedition. In every clause it shakes its fist in the face of constituted authority... It is the one guarantee of human freedom to the American people. (Frank I. Cobb)

"My God! I've been completely surrounded and overrun by incompetence!" --SFC Hooks

I regret to confess that more than once or twice I caused SFC Hooks to make that inspiring comment.

"Once you've paid off your financial obligations, any money you have left is yours to spend foolishly any way you want!" --SFC Hooks

I was trying to justify in my own mind buying a gun I didn't need but wanted.

THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH

Lunar Republic via Robert Heinlein

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

That was supposed to be "One small step for "A" man, one giant leap for mankind. ( I guess he was a little excited!!! :lol:)

"A good plan right now is better than a great plan five minutes from now" G.S/ Patton

"Get there furstist with the mostest" Bedford Forrest

What he actually said was: "I always make it a rule to get there first with the most men"

also

"I just took the short cut and got there first with the most men."

What he actually said was: "I always make it a rule to get there first with the most men"

also

"I just took the short cut and got there first with the most men."

This is the west sir. When Fact meets legend, Print the legend!

Trailrider reminded me of one on another thread: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time. But you can't fool Mom!"

Archived