SASS Wire Forum

What lightest over-the-counter 12g loads available?

Knuckles Bandera #43963

I just have an old Stoeger Coach gun and I'm going to have my young'uns try their first shoot. I've used whatever I could find at WallyWorld but I want to find the lightest load since it will be their first time shooting shotgun.

Any recommendations?

Winchester 12 ga. loads (what has been called Feather lights) at 980 fps ( 26 grs. ) are the lightest ones sold commercially, I believe. Might be easier if any of your local pards reloads light rounds. Sometimes lighter than the lightest commercial loads.

Winchester product number AA12FL8

Know as Winchester Feather Lites or Low Recoil,Low Noise.

I have not bought in a long time.

The box and the hulls have a trademark Feather printed on them.

========compare================

Winchester

26 grams shot = .917oz

980'/sec velocity

FIOCCHI

7/8oz shot = .875oz

1200'/sec velocity

The "Featherlite" Winchester AA load is not called that anymore.

They are now called "low recoil, low noise target load." They have a listed velocity of 980 feet per second (fps) and a 26 gram (about 7/8 oz) load of #8 shot (the shot size might vary). No one around here seems to carry them. HOWEVER, WalMart orders them if I ask them to back in the Sporting Goods Dept. The order often drops off their order list, so I have to keep getting them to check the order status and put them back on if they drop off. AND, they order for stock, not for me specifically, so I have to keep checking order status. The regular price is about $7.87/box, but if you buy them in the summer, while Winchester has their promotional, "AA Rebate" going, you get a $2.00/box rebate back from Winchester. That's when I try to buy them. Seems like a lot of trouble, but it really isn't. No one else carries them, not even the local shops, and I don't like to mail order ammo. They come 10 boxes/case.

PM to me your email address and I'll email you back with pictures of the box showing the bar code and description. Show that to the clerk and they can order from that info.

Anyway, this works for me; I don't reload shotgun ammo. If you reload shotgun, that's a different dynamic.

Cat Brules

I have a couple of boxes of these little 1" long 12 gauge shells made by some company in South America. Used the to teach my daughters to shoot. I bet you could Google them

I have a couple of boxes of these little 1" long 12 gauge shells made by some company in South America. Used the to teach my daughters to shoot. I bet you could Google them

Aguila - Made in MEXICO

Cost about 2x the list price for Winchester AA12FL8s.

255579.jpg

I started Mary shooting black powder loads. About 7/8 oz and less than square load of black.

Another suggestion, have new shooters shoot something big and reactive. We shot empty laundry detergent jugs in the back yard. Mary really loved blowing them a tumbling. Having exciting fun takes the sting out of the recoil.

Baschieri-Pellagri also make a couple of light 12 gauge loads. I don't have the numbers right off hand but they are pretty mild.

B&P 2 5/8" F2 subsonic loads are listed at 1100 FPS with a7/8 oz payload, but very soft recoiling IMHO

They are now called "low recoil, low noise target load." They have a listed velocity of 980 feet per second (fps) and a 26 gram (about 7/8 oz) load of #8 shot (the shot size might vary). No one around here seems to carry them. HOWEVER, WalMart orders them if I ask them to back in the Sporting Goods Dept. The order often drops off their order list, so I have to keep getting them to check the order status and put them back on if they drop off. AND, they order for stock, not for me specifically, so I have to keep checking order status. The regular price is about $7.87/box, but if you buy them in the summer, while Winchester has their promotional, "AA Rebate" going, you get a $2.00/box rebate back from Winchester. That's when I try to buy them. Seems like a lot of trouble, but it really isn't. No one else carries them, not even the local shops, and I don't like to mail order ammo. They come 10 boxes/case.

PM to me your email address and I'll email you back with pictures of the box showing the bar code and description. Show that to the clerk and they can order from that info.

Anyway, this works for me; I don't reload shotgun ammo. If you reload shotgun, that's a different dynamic.

Cat Brules

This is the most informative post of this thread. Low noise, low recoil AAs are the gold standard of smokeless shells for CAS. My local Wally World often has them on the shelf. I buy them during rebate season - just got my $100 rebate check in November. My wife won't shoot any other smokeless shotgun shell. They spent hulls are reloadable so don't trash them - give them to a reloader or sell them if you get hundreds.

Cat Brules

This is the most informative post of this thread. Low noise, low recoil AAs are the gold standard of smokeless shells for CAS. My local Wally World often has them on the shelf. I buy them during rebate season - just got my $100 rebate check in November. My wife won't shoot any other smokeless shotgun shell. They spent hulls are reloadable so don't trash them - give them to a reloader or sell them if you get hundreds.

+1.

If you have a Bass Pro Shop within driving distance, you can order Winchester Low Noise/Low Recoil rounds by the case lot online. They will ship to the store and notify you when they are there.

Both the Federal and Fiochi rounds do not eject well from doubles.

Estate shells available at Sportsman Warehouse have a 1oz load that is light but not as light as the Winchester's. They are relatively low cost at 5.99/box.

If the youngster will be doing a lot of shooting, you may want to try these. http://firequest.com/HV410.html

Several of these can be used for the youngster to use the gun in the Buckeroo category.

Winchester featherlites are light. Also look for Federal Metro Loads, 1 1/8 oz shot at 900 fps. I can't feel any difference and the Federals have a bit more knock down.

The only photo I can find of the Metro loads appears to be a ribbed hull (?). I won't give up my STS hulls, but.....how do they shuck from a SxS?

Cabela's is now offering there Herter's in a Light recoil option. I have them in 1 once at 1060 and 1 1/8 at 1050. They are ribbed but I have no issue shucking them from both of my SKBs and the BSS before I sold it. They are considerable cheaper then the AA when the rebate isn't being offered.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/herter-s-reg-field-and-target-loads-150-per-case/1545677.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshotgun-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100191%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104567580

The only photo I can find of the Metro loads appears to be a ribbed hull (?). I won't give up my STS hulls, but.....how do they shuck from a SxS?

I bought a case on special last year. I didn't mind them, but my wife had some issues with shucking them.

Kuna advised me about Herters when I was having a problem in my JW-2000 hammer double with the Winchesters from Walmart and even handed me a couple of the Herters to try. He's a great pard.

They worked well for me. Since I took his advise, all of the Herters shells have shucked easily and I haven't had one stick in my 12 gauge JW-2000 or 20 gauge Rossi Overland hammer guns or in my 12 or 20 gauge Stoeger Coach guns.

Cabela's put them on sale lately for $54 a case. At ~$0.20 a round, I stocked up in both 12 and 20 gauge.

Archived