SASS Wire Forum

FIRST car...?

I remember it clearly. The year was 1991....

My parents came home one day and told me and my asked for my brother and I to come outside. They had bought, for $300, a car for us to share......

The epitomy of sexiness and style......

1980 Plymouth Volare 4 door

This is not mine, I can't find any pics......

4518392584_a5efb332c2_z.jpg

Ours was Puke Sea Green with a Blue Vinyl Top

It had a roomy back seat, perfect for paradise by the dashboard lights.

And seated 8.......not easily, but it seated 8....

The slant 6 engine was bullet proof and there was no fear of anyone ever wanting to steal it.

I remember it clearly. The year was 1991....

My parents came home one day and told me and my asked for my brother and I to come outside. They had bought, for $300, a car for us to share......

The epitomy of sexiness and style......

1980 Plymouth Volare 4 door

This is not mine, I can't find any pics......

4518392584_a5efb332c2_z.jpg

Ours was Puke Sea Green with a Blue Vinyl Top

It had a roomy back seat, perfect for paradise by the dashboard lights.

And seated 8.......not easily, but it seated 8....

The slant 6 engine was bullet proof and there was no fear of anyone ever wanting to steal it.

Ah yes, progeny of the Valiant. An example of the perils of inbreeding.

Late 1954 Dodge Royal 500 "Lancer" 2 door hard top with the '55 side trim, factory Kelsey- Hayes wire wheels, factory Continental spare tire, slush master automatic transmission, and an Offenhauser manifold with a special carburetor that turned it all into a 200 hp race car... except for that terrible trnsmission. I bought it from my dad in 1957 and promptly put a '56 Dodge 3 speed manual trans in it and heavy duty shock absorbers.

The convertible version was the Indy pace ar that year.

1965 Chevy II Nova, 3-on-the-tree, factory 283 w/ Powr-Pak heads, 2bbl carb. Put in a Corvette 4-speed, heavy duty clutch, Hurst shift, modified suspension and big brakes. Kept it looking stock. Very fast. I won every serious money race; usually against Ford Mustangs.

I had a built-up set of factory fuel injection heads, a new cam and a new intake and a Holly 4bbl that I never installed. I turned my attention toward a real job, a serious woman and a car she felt good about riding in. Like they say, "Well, I USED to be a good cow hand, but.....things happen!" :-)

1956 Ford Victoria, 292 V8 with the Ford-o matic. Was a faded out white when I bought it my Junior year in HS. Worked on sanding it down and had it painted a GM metallic maroon. It had a red interior and an AM radio. I had it overhauled just before the end of my Senior year and the mechanic put a tad larger cam in it. Turned it into a fairly quick car and still got 20-25mpg on the highway cruising about 70. Wish I had that car back now.

1939 Chevy 6 cyl 4 door. The only unbroken window was in front of the driver. I took the back seat out so I could haul coal, hay and baby calves in it. I kept trying to get the tires to chirp so I know that junkyard transmissions were $10 each. My first set of nylon 6X16 tires cost a grand sum of $48 dollars which was a lot because the car cost $90.

Purchased in 1955.

I could drive 8 miles to town, pick up my date, go to a movie, buy us hambergers and cokes, take her home and still have some change from a $5 bill to buy enough gas to get home.

My first car was a '63 Ford Falcon 4dr. One of the neighborhood kids ran it off of a cliff!! I never missed it!

I did have a Vega wagon, purchased right after Schoolmarm and I were married. When the 4banger gave up, I slid a hot 283 and a built Powerglide into it. that car really made my neighbor mad when Schoolmarm passed him on I75 at 140 mph with his girlfriend sitting beside him in his 450 SEL!! :lol::lol:

I've known many who've owned these, but you're the first one I know of to say that!

I hated that two-speed transmission, but otherwise it wasn't bad. Not a GREAT car, but pretty good. Decent acceleration, comfortable, good vision out of it. Plenty of room to sleep in in on field trips in college. Good cargo capacity.

My first car was a 1970 Mustang "Sportsroof" aka fastback, with a very well built 302 Windsor with 650 Holley, Automatic with a shift kit, and rather tall gearing. It was British Racing Green with a green interior and the fold down rear seat. Someone along the way had put a second set of taillights inboard of the regular two for reasons I don't know nor can explain, other than some misguided attempt to make it look like a Shelby. I was enamored of it, and overlooked all that was wrong with it, because it was a Mustang, and I could afford it, by paying off the money my dad took out of the Credit Union for it.

If I had known then what I knew even six months later, let alone what I know now, I would have passed. It had all the classic problems of the model year. Rusted frame rails and inner fender panels, leaking hood vent among other things. Still, I loved it, and would have done all the work to restore it if I hadn't decided on college instead and sold it. I still love the looks of them, and would gladly own another one, in somewhat better condition of course.

1974 Fiat X1/9 in 1979. Medium green with tan interior. 1300cc 4 cylinder SOHC, 4 wheel disk brakes, 2 seats. Sat about 4" off the ground. Handled like a go-cart. Drove through snow surprisingly well. Ice, not so well. I remember doing a 360 degree turn followed by a 180 degree turn as I slid down a steep hill and thinking that it was kind of fun, not that I was going to die when I'd plow into the five jeeps that were already piled up at the bottom of the hill. Fortunately, I gained some traction and was able to turn off onto a side street before reaching them.

:lol::lol::P:D

Judge, that is TOO funny...!! ^_^

I remember those well... not a 124 but definitely an improvement over the 850!

We used to call 'em "the 850 Targa" or "the X One Ninth!" :)

Half ton Dodge, '67 model, slant 6 and three on the tree.

The bed was mostly holes held together with a light cobwebbing of rust.

Hydraulic clutch, the clutch master cylinder had to be honed & rebuilt twice a year.

Brake master cylinder never gave me a moment's trouble though the rear brake lines both rusted through, lucky enough I was stationary at dear old Dad's when they let go

It was a good starter rig, everything that attached to the frame broke at one time or another and I learned early and well how to fix things!

I did like that six banger and the hood that stood straight up ... I could climb into the engine compartment, stand a-straddle of the port side engine mount with my feet flat on the ground and work on the carbon tater with both hands!

my first car, looked like this one: http://classiccars.com/listings/view/723063/1958-chevrolet-impala-for-sale-in-dayton-ohio-45439

1958 Chevy Impala SS

mine had a 348 cu. in. V8 with factory 3 dueces...

...blew out the transmission twice, rear end once,....

...but the 348 hung in there like a champ...

...and to put in new flooring for the back seat...

1959 Jeep Gator Pickup. 327 Chevy engine. Sure was fun, my dad hated it...we were always working on it. I looking to buy another if anyone knows where a nice on is please let me know

Does 'Gator' mean the FC150 where the cab sits over the front wheels?

I think he means a Jeep Gladiator (although the Gladiator didn't come out to '62), or the regular '59 Pickup with a later engine.

All F150's were forward control, as were the later FC170's.

1960 VW Beetle. I painted it Navy Blue and carpeted the entire inside; floor, top, dashboard everything.

CB

Archived