SASS Wire Forum

Mississippi people

Alpo

The big town of Biloxi.

Bein' a good southern boy, I've always pronounced that Bi-luck-zi.

Just heard some gal on a TV show saying that she was a one-time Miss Bi-lock-zi.

Wondering if I've been saying it wrong on these years, or if it's just another example of TV being idiots.

Biluksi is the proper pronucification. Thought everbody knew that. 'Cept tv types.

Bob's right.

We got a town, just up the road. Blountstown. Blunts-town. Had some Yankee weathergirl come here, several years back. Insisted it was Bl-ow-ntstown. Ow, as in ow, that hurts.

We got the best damn oysters in the world, just down the road in Apalachicola Bay. Now, I am aware that it is the Appa-lay-tion trail, but that town is Apa-latch-icola. Like a door latch. Short a. Watch the movie Telefon. Great Charles Bronson cold war spy movie. And they had someone blow up Apa-lay-chicola. Make me shudder to listen, sometimes.

When I was stationed in Massachusetts I called information and asked for a listing in the nearby town of Leominster.

"Leo-min-ster", I repeated several times to the operator. She didn't seem to understand me.

"Oh", shefinally said in an icy tone. "You mean Lemnistah"

Leominster = Lemnistah up in Mass. And they always said Mass too, never Massachusetts. :D

I do three syllables, but it's or-e-gun, not gen.

But hell, what do I know. I was in my forties before I learned it was ne-va-da, not ne-vah-da. Thought Mama was strange for pronouncing it with that short A, when everyone else I knew personally, or saw on TV or the movies, used the AH sound. Shoulda realized someone that lived there a while would know how to pronounce it.

Sixgun Shorty straightened me out.

i do love hearing Yankees talking about that big town in Alabama - Mont-gum-mur-ry. Ain't but three syllables in that name. Mont-gum-ry.

Those folks in Massachusetts do talk funny.

I had an Uncle from Lynn, Massachusetts and he

could hardly be understood. Took an addition

30 seconds to filter out what he had said. :lol:

But he was a great friend and a good man.

We used to run training missions way up in the White and Green Mountains. We came across a lot of interesting and difficult to understand types in isolated areas. Had to do some fast talking once when a farmer greeted us with a 12 ga. Our berets had him suspicious there had been an invasion. I swear it was easier to communicate with the Bavarians in the Alps sometimes. :D

I have never thought America was a "melting pot" with all the flvors mixed.

I think it's more like a tye dyed t-shirt.

They're all on the same piece but you can still pick the individual shades out pretty easily. ;)

We used to run training missions way up in the White and Green Mountains. We came across a lot of interesting and difficult to understand types in isolated areas. Had to do some fast talking once when a farmer greeted us with a 12 ga. Our berets had him suspicious there had been an invasion. I swear it was easier to communicate with the Bavarians in the Alps sometimes. :D

I have never thought America was a "melting pot" with all the flvors mixed.

I think it's more like a tye dyed t-shirt.

They're all on the same piece but you can still pick the individual shades out pretty easily. ;)

I am descended from those folks. Forty once asked me what happened to my accent. I replied, "Two years eleven months ten days in the Army."

You ought to hear folks from out of state trying to pronounce all the Creek town names around here.

The county seat of Lee County is Opelika. The proper (Creek) pronunciation is O pel ika. The local pronunciation is Opel like ah.

They even butcher the ones like Notasulga (nota sul gah) that we haven't changed the pronunciation on. We won't even talk about what they do to Loachapoka and the rest- especially the ones that end in 'chee' or 'ee'.

Another one is the town just north of here named Lafayette- named after the Marquis Lafayette of American Revolution fame. The local pronunciation of the town name isn't the same as the feller's name. It's 'Luh fay ette' with the emphasis on the 'luh' instead of the man's name 'Lah fay ette'.

Oklahoma has its share of towns that give newscasters and furriners fits:

Honobia (HO-nub-by)

Gotebo. (GO-tee-bo)

Reichert (Richard)

Ocheleta (OCH-uh-Lay-tuh)

Talala (tuh-LAH-luh)

Heard a newscaster say TOO-qua-HA-la for Talequah and Hawthorn for Haworth.

Some folks say DU-rant, some duh-RANT. I still say it the first way, receive grief about it from time to time. I ask those who correct me if they ever lived there. They invariably say "No."

When I was stationed in Massachusetts I called information and asked for a listing in the nearby town of Leominster.

"Leo-min-ster", I repeated several times to the operator. She didn't seem to understand me.

"Oh", shefinally said in an icy tone. "You mean Lemnistah"

Leominster = Lemnistah up in Mass. And they always said Mass too, never Massachusetts. :D

Those folks in Massachusetts do talk funny.

I had an Uncle from Lynn, Massachusetts and he

could hardly be understood. Took an addition

30 seconds to filter out what he had said. :lol:

But he was a great friend and a good man.

Try Worcester Mass. They say Wooster. And let us not forget, Baaston for Boston. I spent two and a half long years stationed there. Never did get to where I could understand them.

I think that Pilgrims do it just to annoy the rest of us.

It's pronounce Wooster in Mass-a-who-setts, it's pronounced Wooster in England, and it's pronounced Wooster on the bottle of Worcestershire Sauce.

In The Russians are Coming, they went aground on Gloucester Island. They kept calling it Glou-chester, and the locals called it Glah-ster,

Remember the two guys from Gautier, MS who climed to be abducted by aliens a number of years ago? The press fell all over themselves trying to pronounce Gautier. All they had to do was ask someone from there to learn it's pronounced go-shay.

Try Worcester Mass. They say Wooster. And let us not forget, Baaston for Boston. I spent two and a half long years stationed there. Never did get to where I could understand them.

I think that Pilgrims do it just to annoy the rest of us.

Yup. Woostah was just a few miles from Ft Devens.

Oklahoma has its share of towns that give newscasters and furriners fits:

Honobia (HO-nub-by)

Gotebo. (GO-tee-bo)

Reichert (Richard)

Ocheleta (OCH-uh-Lay-tuh)

Talala (tuh-LAH-luh)

Heard a newscaster say TOO-qua-HA-la for Talequah and Hawthorn for Haworth.

Some folks say DU-rant, some duh-RANT. I still say it the first way, receive grief about it from time to time. I ask those who correct me if they ever lived there. They invariably say "No."

I didn't even mention it Pulp but yep....they have a time even with Atoka much less Wapanucka, etc. However, most folks get Muskogee right.......wonder why? :)

I live in Maryville, TN. When first moving there I called it "Merryville". My good friend told me if I wanted to not be seen as an outsider I should call it "Murville".

The city is in Blount County, pronounced "Blunt".

Us Tennessean have fun pronouncing our city/county names don't we. I'm from a little town named Lafayette. Pronounced Lah-fette or Lah-fay-ette; no e or i in the middle.

Well, we have a lot of Native influence in some of our towns. Mostly on the coast but a bit in the Inland also

Ozette (O Zet)

Kalaloch (Clay lock)

Pysht (Psssst)

Sekiu (See Q)

And Issaquah ( Iss a qua)

How to you pronounce "Oregon"???

ORE uh gun. I was born there.

Pacific Northwest has a LOT of towns with mispronounced names. One of my favorites is Buena: up there it's pronounced BYOO enna.

Yakima was pronounced YAK ih mah when we lived next door in Toppenish (the 'e' isn't pronounced), but I hear it said yah KIM uh now.

And now about Beaufort, SC. Heard it called BO fort, but the folks living there say BYOO ferd.

Guess Churchill was right.

Us Tennessean have fun pronouncing our city/county names don't we. I'm from a little town named Lafayette. Pronounced Lah-fette or Lah-fay-ette; no e or i in the middle.

Actually, Tyrel, the folks that live there say it " luh FAY it". Krazy Kajun may correct me on this, but down in Louisiana folks pronounce it lah fay ETTE and they say it like it's three separate words!!

Actually, Tyrel, the folks that live there say it " luh FAY it". Krazy Kajun may correct me on this, but down in Louisiana folks pronounce it lah fay ETTE and they say it like it's three separate words!!

That's close BW. The last syllable is accented.....the middle syllable is pronounced with a short i sound like in the word "fig" La fi YETTE....at least that's the way my Daddy and his family pronounced it. Some other locals may not use the short "i" sound, a short "a" sound like in the word fan...La fa YETTE.

Kajun

It's pronounce Wooster in Mass-a-who-setts, it's pronounced Wooster in England, and it's pronounced Wooster on the bottle of Worcestershire Sauce.

In The Russians are Coming, they went aground on Gloucester Island. They kept calling it Glou-chester, and the locals called it Glah-ster,

Then there's the old joke about how the sauce got it's name....."What this chere sauce?"

Kajun

Ohio has it's fair share of strange place names. Cities and towns that immediately come to mind:

Russia, pronounced "Roo Shee"

Versailles, pronounced almost phonetically "Ver Sales"

Bellefontaine, or "Bell Fountain"

Newark, which the locals call something more like "Nerk"

Lancaster, which is usually called LANE cass ter, or sometimes Lane CASS ter.

Then there's Georgia.

There's Cairo. That's KY-row, in Egypt, but KAY-row, in Georgia. And there's Albany. Up in New York, that would be ALL-bunny. in Georgia, it's all-BENNY.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Let's do not leave our the Capital of South Dakota! When I was a kid learning state capitals in school in Greenwood, Mississippi, (7 miles East of Itta Bena) we were told to pronounce it " Pi air", Years later when I was stationed there I found out quickly it is pronounced "Pier" (as near a boat dock). As they say "When in Rome......"

Cheers, Hoss

The big town of Biloxi.

Bein' a good southern boy, I've always pronounced that Bi-luck-zi.

Just heard some gal on a TV show saying that she was a one-time Miss Bi-lock-zi.

Wondering if I've been saying it wrong on these years, or if it's just another example of TV being idiots.

We tend to say Ba-luck-zee. We really draw out the last syllable

Your right! Guess I say it so much I don't hear the luh part of that. :lol:

Archived