SASS Wire Forum

Why Glocks are better than 1911- educational purposes only

Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

When I'm watching Justified I like my Glock, When I'm watching Longmire I like my 1911. And when I'm watching old westerns I like my SAA. Oh yeah, when I'm watching Rin Tin Tin I like my German Shepherds. :)

Glocks are UGLY. Forty Rod don't own UGLY guns.

Looks like a squirt gun. I'm still looking for the blue rubber plug in the back to fill it with water.

Saw a Glock at a Turner's Outdoorsman in Rancho Cucamonga a couple of years back with the entire grip destroyed by a pit bull who used it for a chew toy.

Glocks have all the grace and comfort of a section of railroad tie.

Mighty difficult to blue, plate, or engrave a Glock.

No matter what you do a Glock it still looks like it was made by Lego.

Looks like a squirt gun. I'm still looking for the blue rubber plug in the back to fill it with water.

Saw a Glock at a Turner's Outdoorsman in Rancho Cucamonga a couple of years back with the entire grip destroyed by a pit bull who used it far a chew toy.

Mighty difficult to blue, plate,or engrave a Glock.

I hate it when a Pit Bull eats my Glock for breakfast. Then again, I could always use the Pit Bull for protection.....no one likes being bit by a dog, let alone a Pit Bull.

Hmmmm.....Pit Bull or Poodle

There is no need to have an ugly gun....

Unless it can save your butt when tshtf. ;)

Saw a Glock at a Turner's Outdoorsman in Rancho Cucamonga a couple of years back with the entire grip destroyed by a pit bull who used it far a chew toy.

Mighty difficult to blue, plate,or engrave a Glock.

;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I hate it when a Pit Bull eats my Glock for breakfast. Then again, I could always use the Pit Bull for protection.....no one likes being bit by a dog, let alone a Pit Bull.

Hmmmm.....Pit Bull or Poodle

I have a chihuahua- miniature pinscher mix and a 1911. Great combination of biological early warning system and deterent / defensive armament system.

I don't own any firearms, but if I did I would have both a Colt Combat Commander and a Glock 19.

The Combat Commander because it's a beast, heavy, it shoots true and fast, the trigger is comfortable.

The Glock 19, I would carry everyday for 25 years because it easier to carry (more apt to actually take it then the Colt), it goes BANG every time you pull the trigger, it carries 15 rounds of Corbon 9mm, it can take rain, snow, grit, sand, and still fire, with an added mag, I have a lot of shots. It's easy to strip down and clean, a few blasts of Breakfree and it's good to go.

That's IF I had any firearms

I sure have seen a bunch of Glocks at IDPA matches.

Yeah. They weren't designed for anything but combat. They're pretty good at that.

I have a couple of both and both have broken. I like both but time marches on and the Glock was what I carried as a police officer.

Affordable, easy for even a monkey to detail strip and dependable. One big plus for police use is the fact that they just don't rust, after days in a wet holster they were unaffected.

The only real downside is that Glock doesn't recommend the use of lead bullets because of the type of rifling

...so was the 1911.

Of course it was, but the mindset, engineering, available materials, manufacturing techniques, etc. Were much different at the turn of the century. Even 50 years ago. I was trained to shoot the 1911out to 50 yards. A rather pointless exercise for a combat pistol. But the Glock was engineered with the idea that long range tack-driving accuracy is not a critical function, reliability is. Doesn't mean it's a worse pistol, just narrowly purpose built.

Both are excellent.

Of course it was, but the mindset, engineering, available materials, manufacturing techniques, etc. Were much different at the turn of the century. Even 50 years ago. I was trained to shoot the 1911out to 50 yards. A rather pointless exercise for a combat pistol. But the Glock was engineered with the idea that long range tack-driving accuracy is not a critical function, reliability is. Doesn't mean it's a worse pistol, just narrowly purpose built.

Both are excellent.

My point also. The 1911 is just as combat capable as any pistol available. It's track record over many years is proven. I am no military expert, but have read and researched from police, military, expert shooters about the 1911. Have shot both at the range and the 1911 feels right to me - from day one. The Glock not as natural .... To each his own ;)

GG

The design, construction and history of the:

Sharps

Flint Locks

Cap&Ball

Colt SAA

and others were leading edge stuff and game breakers at their time. They still are amazing. But there are better (function wise) weapons of today.

If you are talking functional representation museum pieces that have a rich history and look nice, then yea!!

BTW, I got a 'Real' 1911,,,,A Colt. Saw it in the gun safe just last week.

The design, construction and history of the:1911187318661897SharpsFlint LocksCap&BallColt SAAand others were leading edge stuff and game breakers at their time. They still are amazing. But there are better (function wise) weapons of today.If you are talking functional representation museum pieces that have a rich history and look nice, then yea!!BTW, I got a 'Real' 1911,,,,A Colt. Saw it in the gun safe just last week.

Well put!

And while I would not accuse anyone who carries a 1911 (including myself) of carrying a museum piece, it cannot be denied that the Glock was leading edge technology when conceived.

At some point in time they will both be true museum pieces.

Like my Randall knife.

But still effective. ;)

Well put!

And while I would not accuse anyone who carries a 1911 (including myself) of carrying a museum piece, it cannot be denied that the Glock was leading edge technology when conceived.

At some point in time they will both be true museum pieces.

Like my Randall knife.

But still effective. ;)

I certainly would hope something that was designed 52 years later (Glock in 1963) expands on technologies of the past. Still, there are time tested designs that equal (and in some rare cases exceed) even modern tachnologies. With the 1911 design there are still companies expanding on it's platform - Ruger is one example.

The Glock did expand upon former technology. Lighter weight, double stack magazine, more climate resistant, more affordable, Polymer frame with simpler striker fire was the upgrade. It is still a semi-auto pistol that can be modified to full auto. The next generation pistol will do something better(function) than what we see today. I guess those new generations would be the M&P's , H&K, double action, single stack, super compact, pollymer guns and so forth. And yes, the polymer material has expanded into the long guns.

The Glock did expand upon former technology. Lighter weight, double stack magazine, more climate resistant, more affordable, Polymer frame with simpler striker fire was the upgrade. It is still a semi-auto pistol that can be modified to full auto. The next generation pistol will do something better(function) than what we see today. I guess those new generations would be the M&P's , H&K, double action, single stack, super compact, pollymer guns and so forth. And yes, the polymer material has expanded into the long guns.

Long guns have been using polymer stocks for a long time as well. The M16 'plastic' components were (are) a form of polymer.

GG

Both are excellent.

So make a 1911 out of pretty colored plastics and odd camo colors, but leave everything else, appearance wise, mechanical wise, and handling wise alone.

Wheeeeee! (I hope no one actually does that.)

Long guns have been using polymer stocks for a long time as well. The M16 'plastic' components were (are) a form of polymer.

GG

They were a fiberglass reinforced plastic actually. Innovative but not as strong as todays true polymer. Pretty tough but we broke a few back in the day. I doubt even aklutz like me could break a modern polymer stock.

We ran over the Glocks with trucks in testing in the 80s. Never could break one.

Well, me being an old fossil, I come down on the side of the 1911. Never shot or held a Glock.

So what do I know. But I do believe that if you have to shoot a bad guy, he probably doesn't

care if you use a Glock or a 1911 and the 9 mm is probably just as distasteful as the .45 Cal.

Well, me being an old fossil, I come down on the side of the 1911. Never shot or held a Glock.

So what do I know. But I do believe that if you have to shoot a bad guy, he probably doesn't

care if you use a Glock or a 1911 and the 9 mm is probably just as distasteful as the .45 Cal.

Glock has 45acp models. I carried one.

This thread was the straw that finally broke my camel's back. I've owned handguns from just about every modern manufacturer that you can think of: colt, sig, smith, Taurus, charter arms, beretta, cz, kimber, Springfield, ruger, bersa, walther, all the Uberti offshoots... But never a Glock... Until today. Had to see what the fuss is about. Got the compact model 27.

Initial observations:

Does it fit my hand real well? No. But many compacts feel that way to me.

Does the trigger feel mushy? Yes. But it has a very short trigger pull and reset

I can load the little thing up with 9+1 rounds of 40 S&W. That's a plus.

Is it concealable? With an IWB holster, VERY. More so than some 1911's Ive tried.

Will it shoot well and stand up to a lifetime of use? That's to be determined.

Is it ugly? Yup. Do I much prefer the feel of steel and wood of a 1911 that seems to have been made for my hand? Yup. But does a tool have to be pretty to get the job done? It is a bonus if it does, but not a requirement.

My favorite pistol of all time is my Colt WWI 1911 reissue. Beautiful, accurate (even with the minimal sights), reliable and the perfect combo of balance, heft and fit in my hand. But I'm excited to add this Glock to my roundup. Variety is the spice of life.

Archived