SASS Wire Forum

Why Glocks are better than 1911- educational purposes only

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I found definitive internet evidence that 1911's suck and Glocks are better.

10 – Plastic doesn’t rust!

9 – It’s newer, newer is better

8 - ”Cocked and locked” sounds fishy

7 - 1911 is hard to spell

6 - Cops carry Glocks. Enough said!

5 - Gangsters choose Glocks. Enough said!

4 – Your grandpa prefers 1911s. Enough said!

3 - The 1911 was designed in Utah. The Glock was designed in Austria. Name something else good that came from Utah.

2 – .45 is a too slow to do any good

1 – JAMES YEAGER SAID SO!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1911 over the Glock if I could only have one - I don't like the feel of the Glock in my hand - sorry.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

my assessment :P

10 – Plastic doesn’t rust! - no, but it bends and can become brittle over time

9 – It’s newer, newer is better - uh, no

8 - ”Cocked and locked” sounds fishy - sounds functional to me

7 - 1911 is hard to spell - that says it all :lol:

6 - Cops carry Glocks. Enough said! - probably because the department told them to.

5 - Gangsters choose Glocks. Enough said! - 'nuff said is right, what do they know.

4 – Your grandpa prefers 1911s. Enough said! - Grandpa was a real man!

3 - The 1911 was designed in Utah. The Glock was designed in Austria. Name something else good that came from Utah. - princlples and values

2 – .45 is a too slow to do any good - tell that to the men on WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam

1 – JAMES YEAGER SAID SO! - Don't care for the guy

The 1911 over the Glock if I could only have one - I don't like the feel of the Glock in my hand - sorry.

So the presenter's humility didn't persuade you? ;)

Glocks are dish washer safe. 1911's are not.

Some 1911's are made in China and Brazil, Glocks are not.

1911's weigh more, thus make better boat anchors.

you can buy two Glocks for the price of one 1911,... fastest reload or clear a malfunction is another gun. Glock wins.

Bourbon or Irish?

Maryann or Ginger?

Coke or Pepsi?

:D :D

I like #4. But then again exactly how many Grandpa's like Glocks compaired to the 1911? Might be a reason there. I'll just let the young pups have the Glocks (which really isn't a real gun by the way) And those with experence go with the 1911's :) Just a sayen.

Somehow the so called Glock safety trigger thingy bothers me & I can't shoot'em wortha damn. Was told I have Glock limp wrist. The limp wrist thing (no offense intended) is a good reason to stay Colt for me.

my assessment :P

10 – Plastic doesn’t rust! - no, but it bends and can become brittle over time Also too bad it isn't all made of plastic.

9 – It’s newer, newer is better - uh, no What, really? No, fooling? :lol:

8 - ”Cocked and locked” sounds fishy - sounds functional to me Sounds seriously bad@$$ to me.

7 - 1911 is hard to spell - that says it all Yeah, but it sounds a lot more American than Glock. Not to mention "John Browning" sounds a lot more manly than "Gaston Glock." ;)

6 - Cops carry Glocks. Enough said! - probably because the department told them to. Don't forget that Glock sold them to police dirt cheap. Kind of like a crack dealer... :unsure:

5 - Gangsters choose Glocks. Enough said! - 'nuff said is right, what do they know. Yep. Kind of like crack dealers... Oh, wait...

4 – Your grandpa prefers 1911s. Enough said! - Grandpa was a real man! I know I didn't fight in the Battle of the Bulge! :o

3 - The 1911 was designed in Utah. The Glock was designed in Austria. Name something else good that came from Utah. - princlples and values Didn't Hitler come from Austria? :(

2 – .45 is a too slow to do any good - tell that to the men on WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam A 9mm may expand, a .45 won't contract. :P

1 – JAMES YEAGER SAID SO! - Don't care for the guy Don't get me started, from controversy in actions as a contractor in Iraq, to possibly exaggerating his biography, to being a first rate tool that gives gun owners a bad name. I am a definite NON fan. :angry:

Uhm.... Yeah.....

10 – Plastic doesn’t rust! No, but it can be broken.

9 – It’s newer, newer is better Really? My 1911 was made in 1913. It functions flawlessly and has never failed me. That's right, my primary carry gun is 112 years old! How many Glocks will still be shooting after 100 years of use?

8 - ”Cocked and locked” sounds fishy No safety at all sounds dangerous to me!

7 - 1911 is hard to spell Uhm.... Okay....

6 - Cops carry Glocks. Enough said! While some cops are gun savvy, most are not. Most never even fire their guns except once a year when they have to qualify.

5 - Gangsters choose Glocks. Enough said! I thought gangsters carried "cheap unreliable guns."

4 – Your grandpa prefers 1911s. Enough said! My Grandpa was a teacher, and ambidextrous. He was a genius.

3 - The 1911 was designed in Utah. The Glock was designed in Austria. Name something else good that came from Utah. Hmm... The Browing Auto 5. The Winchester 92. The Colt 1903. And the list goes on.... On the other hand, Austria's most famous contribution to the world is an (censord) named Adolf....

2 – .45 is a too slow to do any good. I can't even fathom this comment. How many times have we heard of people getting hit with multiple 9mm/38 rounds and yet they kept coming? You might be able to survive one hit with a .45, if you are lucky. Two hits, and you are going down.

1 – JAMES YEAGER SAID SO! Who is James Yeager? I'd much rather take the word of Jeff Cooper.

Real guns are made of steel, toys are made of plastic.

I have never met the man that outran or ducked fast enough to avoid a .45 bullet once fired.

Remo Williams?

My Glock experience is limited to one Glock handled and one round fired.

Back in the 80's, visiting a friend on his ranch. Standing in the back yard, he smiles and says "Hey! Check out my new pistol! It's one of those new Glocks!"

Hands me the thing... I point it in a safe direction and gaze at it...

"Where's the grip safety? Where's the hammer? What's with this weird wobbly thing on the trigger...?"

"No, man! It's a GLOCK! This is the SAFEST handgun known to man! And by the way, it's not loaded, but it wouldn't matter - you couldn't make it go off by accident if you tried!"

*BANG!!* :blink:

Right into the trunk of his peach tree. :o

"Uh... Here ya go, Dennis... I reckon I'll stick with my Colt."

:wacko:

Real guns are made of steel, toys are made of plastic.

I have never met the man that outran or ducked fast enough to avoid a .45 bullet once fired.

My issued Glock would fire 14 of those. :D

My Glock experience is limited to one Glock handled and one round fired.

Back in the 80's, visiting a friend on his ranch. Standing in the back yard, he smiles and says "Hey! Check out my new pistol! It's one of those new Glocks!"

Hands me the thing... I point it in a safe direction and gaze at it...

"Where's the grip safety? Where's the hammer? What's with this weird wobbly thing on the trigger...?"

"No, man! It's a GLOCK! This is the SAFEST handgun known to man! And by the way, it's not loaded, but it wouldn't matter - you couldn't make it go off by accident if you tried!"

*BANG!!* :blink:

Right into the trunk of his peach tree.

"Uh... Here ya go, Dennis... I reckon I'll stick with my Colt."

:wacko:

So he hands you an "unloaded" loaded gun and you pulled the trigger? How embarassing. :D

in a repair shop one nite , long ago , Pump S/G to be fixed on the bench

the smith (not ME) got distracted , came back in racked it , pulled the trigger

BOOM , right through the wall , where the kids had been playing earlier :o

rust in the mag tube , cuased the round to hang , must have jarred loose , when he dropped it back on the bench

have seen other things happen , in and out of shops ,

not a matter of , IF , matter of WHEN , due to the amount handled , gonna happen , just ain't to me YET

hoping it don't , so I check , and recheck ,

CB

I took the OP has a poke at humor!! Some have taken it way to serious and bit.

A thumb safety on the wrong side of the 1911 frame is useless... Oh wait, you can pay a gunsmith extra to put an amidextrous safety on it.

Glock double trigger safety thingy is a joke.. The safety is between the ears AND a holster that covers the trigger & gurard.

Hardpan needs or needed a refresher course on gun safety,,, along with his friend by handing an unverified firearm to someone

1911 = great trigger + good to hit the bad guy over the head if ya need to! :P

Glocks= no so great trigger + it will break hitting the bad guy over the head! :P

I just bought a used Para (now made in the USA) a GI Expert..stainless, no bones 1911 ;) I also have a Springfield GI made in the USA also :FlagAm:

I don't have a Glock, I had a 42 that jammed every now and then. I bought it for carry but decided it was not all that reliable. I now carry a S&W Airweight in .38 spl.

1911 = great trigger + good to hit the bad guy over the head if ya need to! :P

Glocks= no so great trigger + it will break hitting the bad guy over the head! :P

I just bought a used Para (now made in the USA) a GI Expert..stainless, no bones 1911 ;) I also have a Springfield GI made in the USA also :FlagAm:

I don't have a Glock, I had a 42 that jammed every now and then. I bought it for carry but decided it was not all that reliable. I now carry a S&W Airweight in .38 spl.

We dropped Glocks from a chopper onto a parking lot. Ran over em with patrol cars. One thing they won't do is break. :D

Some folks seem to be of the impression that Glocks only come in 9mm.

I probably had hundred plastic guns when I was a kid and none of them held up.

My 1911 is a Remington Rand. I also have a Colt 70 series slide with old school S&W J frame adjustable sight. Also a Colt ACE 22 conversation unit.

We dropped Glocks from a chopper onto a parking lot. Ran over em with patrol cars. One thing they won't do is break. :D

Didn't ya notice the :P in my replies?? I was only joking! I know all about the Glock torture tests!

Combat Tupperware! :)

I took the OP has a poke at humor!! Some have taken it way to serious and bit.

I took it as humor, and laughed. I tried to add some humor to my previous post, but not quite all of it.

Some folks seem to be of the impression that Glocks only come in 9mm.

.357 SIG?

They come in .40, .45 and .380 also, .357 SIG I don't think so! (?) :unsure:

Oh yea don't forget the .45 GAP ( What a flop that was) :lol:

Awrighty, youse guyse...

Note that I said I'd immediately pointed it in a safe direction.

Heck... I was trying to figger out what that wobbly thing on the trigger was all about! :rolleyes:

And up to that time (like 30 years ago?), nobody else I knew had ever even seen one of those weird contraptions. We'd only heard the stuff on the news about how they'd be invisible on airport x-ray scanners. :huh:

My son came home on leave from the Marines and had a new Glock 45ACP. He hadn't shot it yet so I got out my old S&W 1917 and we did some shooting at paper plates. I was the clear winner in that gunfight. My gun want BANG every time and shot about a 4" group at point of aim. His gun jammed about every third shot and he was hunting for the right sight picture to get it to hit on paper. I thought Marine snipers were better shots! I'm sure given time to break in and get right combination of ammo and practice would make a big difference but out of the box it made a bad show.

I have a Glock G21 (.45 ACP) that I got in 1991. Only problem in all that time was a failure to feed due to a reload with a case mouth folded over. Use it regularly in IDPA as a stock service pistol (10 rounds in mag.), never have any problem with the light loads that choke my 1911's.

I got a Glock G20 (10mm) earlier this year, but have not been able to try it out due to ice/snow on local ranges. It's the same frame as the .45; uppers are interchangeable. They both use the same recoil spring assembly. They are truly mix & match guns. I really did not need to buy another frame, just an upper and magazines for a complete conversion.

Aftermarket Barrels are available to convert the 10mm to .40 S&W and the .45 ACP to several versions of hot .45 stuff using the original magazines. Also, original Glock magazines are very inexpensive, $20 each from several vendors. I believe there is also a .357 Sig conversion barrel.

I'm a Glock fan.

My issued Glock would fire 14 of those. :D

That ain't a bad thing. Although one would hope never to get in a situation where he would need that many, should the occasion arise, it would be nice to have them.

I just smile when I turn the pages of the American Rifleman and see yet another company producing their version of the 1911. And then variations on different versions. Then even clones of the original. The design is timeless. Thank you John M. Browning.

never have any problem with the light loads that choke my 1911's.

If your gonna shoot a man's gun you gotta have a man's ammo...or have it sprung like a Glock.... :D:lol:

Actually the only thing I don't like about my Glock is the darned bulged cases.

Archived