SASS Wire Forum

Why Glocks are better than 1911- educational purposes only

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I think the 45 Glock is more fun to shoot than any of the 9s. Just my opinion.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were a fiberglass reinforced plastic actually. Innovative but not as strong as todays true polymer. Pretty tough but we broke a few back in the day. I doubt even aklutz like me could break a modern polymer stock.

We ran over the Glocks with trucks in testing in the 80s. Never could break one.

GFRP is still a form of polymer. It may have broke or whatever, but my point is that polymer has been used in rifles for many years already. Wasn't comparing it in terms of durability to today's materials.

GG

This thread was the straw that finally broke my camel's back. I've owned handguns from just about every modern manufacturer that you can think of: colt, sig, smith, Taurus, charter arms, beretta, cz, kimber, Springfield, ruger, bersa, walther, all the Uberti offshoots... But never a Glock... Until today. Had to see what the fuss is about. Got the compact model 27.

Initial observations:

Does it fit my hand real well? No. But many compacts feel that way to me.

A $8.95 Pierce magazine bottom pinky finger plate replacement will allow you to get all three fingers on the grip. A $29 Glock G23 (13rd) or G22(15rd) magazine with $12 spacer will work in your G27 as a reload magazine or,,,, where concealment isn't as big a requirement.. If you are talking something else, well darn.

Does the trigger feel mushy? Yes. But it has a very short trigger pull and reset

5-6# stock trigger pull is good.

I can load the little thing up with 9+1 rounds of 40 S&W. That's a plus.

Is it concealable? With an IWB holster, VERY. More so than some 1911's Ive tried.

Will it shoot well and stand up to a lifetime of use? That's to be determined.

Is it ugly? Yup. Do I much prefer the feel of steel and wood of a 1911 that seems to have been made for my hand? Yup. But does a tool have to be pretty to get the job done? Exactly, and you need to have the personal protection tool with you and not back at home.

It is a bonus if it does, but not a requirement.

My favorite pistol of all time is my Colt WWI 1911 reissue. Beautiful, accurate (even with the minimal sights), reliable and the perfect combo of balance, heft and fit in my hand. But I'm excited to add this Glock to my roundup. Variety is the spice of life.

This thread was the straw that finally broke my camel's back. I've owned handguns from just about every modern manufacturer that you can think of: colt, sig, smith, Taurus, charter arms, beretta, cz, kimber, Springfield, ruger, bersa, walther, all the Uberti offshoots... But never a Glock... Until today. Had to see what the fuss is about. Got the compact model 27.

Initial observations:

Does it fit my hand real well? No. But many compacts feel that way to me.

A $8.95 Pierce magazine bottom pinky finger plate replacement will allow you to get all three fingers on the grip. A $29 Glock G23 (13rd) or G22(15rd) magazine with $12 spacer will work in your G27 as a reload magazine or,,,, where concealment isn't as big a requirement.. If you are talking something else, well darn.

Does the trigger feel mushy? Yes. But it has a very short trigger pull and reset

5-6# stock trigger pull is good.

I can load the little thing up with 9+1 rounds of 40 S&W. That's a plus.

Is it concealable? With an IWB holster, VERY. More so than some 1911's Ive tried.

Will it shoot well and stand up to a lifetime of use? That's to be determined.

Is it ugly? Yup. Do I much prefer the feel of steel and wood of a 1911 that seems to have been made for my hand? Yup. But does a tool have to be pretty to get the job done? Exactly, and you need to have the personal protection tool with you and not back at home.

It is a bonus if it does, but not a requirement.

My favorite pistol of all time is my Colt WWI 1911 reissue. Beautiful, accurate (even with the minimal sights), reliable and the perfect combo of balance, heft and fit in my hand. But I'm excited to add this Glock to my roundup. Variety is the spice of life.

Thanks for the tips!

I bugged my father to let me shoot a 1911A1 that he was practicing with when I was 5. Lucky for me he was smart enough to only put 1 round in it as when I fired it I was smacked on the bridge of my nose when it recoiled. That didn't dissuade me from wanting one. I bought one for my 21st birthday (Colt Commander) while on leave. I wish now that I had bought 10 at the then price of $175. but that was about 1/2 of a months pay. I also bought a Gold Cup for my 22nd birthday. That was a bit pricier, and I traded it later. A few years ago I bought a commercial 1911 made in 1920. My eyes don't see those tiny sights as well as they used to but it is still fun to shoot. I always liked my guns to be made of steel and wood and thus eschewed the plastic guns..... Until the day after Christmas 2013. A local shop had a 20% off sale on the 26th. I went in not looking for anything in particular. I was at the counter when a salesman was showing a police trade in Glock 23. Now I have about 10 mags, wolf bbl .(for lead).

reduced main spring, extended mag release, extended slide release. Next maybe reduced trigger. Now I am looking for another full size Glock.

I still like my Commander and 1911 but the Glocks are also fun to play with.

Like a lot of guys in our game I'll shoot any thing that will go bang and some that don't. From 17 Rem to 20mm Lahti anti tank, flintlock to whatever it is all fun.

Dustin

I go back to what one of my Sgt Majors told me years ago, "The only people that use plastic pistols are whimps, pimps and those with alternate lifestyles". Never known a Sgt Major to lie!

I go back to what one of my Sgt Majors told me years ago, "The only people that use plastic pistols are whimps, pimps and those with alternate lifestyles". Never known a Sgt Major to lie!

So all the police are whips, pimps and those with alternate lifestyles?? Sounds like your Sgt. Major is a little off kilter! :wacko:

Factory Glock trigger pull on the first round is 7lbs. There are a whole lot of reasons why light triggers on combat firearms are iffy.

Second round, as long as you only return trigger to reset, and don't completely let go of it, is only 2lbs.

The Glock took a really long time to grow on me. I carried one for almost a year before I started getting attached to it.

But, now that I'm attached, I prefer it to the H&K that used to be my favorite.

Doesn't mean I'm not still looking for that perfect 1911... It's just made me even pickier about paying for one that's less than perfect out of the box.

Factory Glock trigger pull on the first round is 7lbs. There are a whole lot of reasons why light triggers on combat firearms are iffy.

Second round, as long as you only return trigger to reset, and don't completely let go of it, is only 2lbs.

The Glock took a really long time to grow on me. I carried one for almost a year before I started getting attached to it.

But, now that I'm attached, I prefer it to the H&K that used to be my favorite.

Doesn't mean I'm not still looking for that perfect 1911... It's just made me even pickier about paying for one that's less than perfect out of the box.

I have a Springfield GI I bought used and a Para GI Expert I bought used, neither cost a lot of dough and both shoot better than any Glock I've tried. No need to spend a lot of $$ on a good 1911! Just MHO

Rye

Farmer Tom you are sincerely wrong. The Glock has the EXACT SAME pull each and every round. unlike say a Sig or Beretta which double action the first round think 10 lbs or so then go single action After the first round think 5 lbs the Glock is the same first rd till the last!

Farmer Tom you are sincerely wrong. The Glock has the EXACT SAME pull each and every round. unlike say a Sig or Beretta which double action the first round think 10 lbs or so then go single action After the first round think 5 lbs the Glock is the same first rd till the last!

Ok.

My mistake. Misunderstood the armorer.

I've had Glock and 1911's since the 80's. I have used both for police duty guns and competition. I'll take the Glock over the 1911 for any purpose except bullseye target shooting and showing off to people,

However, if James Yeager said the Glock is better, I must be wrong, because that guy is an idiot.

I've got a Kimber 1911 for Wild Bunch. I have 4 different Glocks for most everything else besides Cowboy shooting. Glocks are ugly but they work every time. We've been carrying the Glock 17 at work for the past 10 years and we qualify 4 times a year. I have NEVER had any function problems with my Glock and I don't recall every seeing anyone else with one either. We have 750 officers and I'm sure somebody at some time has had a breakage. I"ve just never witnessed it. Glocks are just reliable, butt ugly tools.

I own a Colt and have fired a Glock. Would love to have a Glock to add to my collection, but wouldn't sell my 1911 to make that happen.

Likewise, a 2015 Corvette might be more refined, but I'd rather have a 1963 split window coupe if I could only have one.

It's a je ne sais quoi thing. :)

The 1911 is a pleasant piece. I owned one, once, sold it I think because I didn't like the feel if a .45 out of it, or the action. Something about it felt sluggish. Maybe it was Tge action, because my .45 NRVs feel fine.

I prefer the Glock 17 over it. Like any glock, for me, that ive shot,It is possible to jam if I let my wrist get sloppy, so a stiff fore arm makes it work.

But let me say, Glock 17 is sharp, fast. And something about it's recoil/action slaps my aim right back on target. It'll shoot faster than I can, and it is soooo comfy.

You must have been in an unusual part of the military if you have never known a sergeant major to lie.

You must have been in an unusual part of the military if you have never known a sergeant major to lie.

They just stretch the truth to the breaking point.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

About those indestructible polymer guns......don't leave in the oven ( saw this on the Michigan Open Carry FB page)

oven_zpsh1gfsenb.jpg

"Here's for all of you that I see knocking Hi Point on a regular basis. Regardless of what you think of their firearms, they have the absolute best customer service on the market bar none! Here at Freedom Firearms we see many things and this one was special. A gentleman had decided to store his unloaded Hi Point firearm in the oven (no comments are necessary as we all already know this is a foolish thing to do). Of course it was forgotten about and the oven turned on and upon smelling burning plastic it was quickly retrieved but not before the damage was done (see pictures below). The gentleman brought the firearm to us (we were not the original point of purchase) and we assisted him in returning it to Hi Point with a full disclosure of the negligence involved and a willingness to pay a fee for repair. Hi Point replaced the firearm free of charge and did so within a week!!! We further, at no charge, performed the transfer at no charge and provided additional education on safe gun handling and storage. Again, no one beats Hi Point in the customer service department!"

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Say what you want about Hi Point but they're guaranteed for life. The owner stands behind his products and their carbines are pretty good. I had a .380 that shot great but was as heavy as a boat anchor. I bought it cheap and sold it cheap! :D

Rye ;)

About those indestructible polymer guns......don't leave in the oven ( saw this on the Michigan Open Carry FB page)

oven_zpsh1gfsenb.jpg

"Here's for all of you that I see knocking Hi Point on a regular basis. Regardless of what you think of their firearms, they have the absolute best customer service on the market bar none! Here at Freedom Firearms we see many things and this one was special. A gentleman had decided to store his unloaded Hi Point firearm in the oven (no comments are necessary as we all already know this is a foolish thing to do). Of course it was forgotten about and the oven turned on and upon smelling burning plastic it was quickly retrieved but not before the damage was done (see pictures below). The gentleman brought the firearm to us (we were not the original point of purchase) and we assisted him in returning it to Hi Point with a full disclosure of the negligence involved and a willingness to pay a fee for repair. Hi Point replaced the firearm free of charge and did so within a week!!! We further, at no charge, performed the transfer at no charge and provided additional education on safe gun handling and storage. Again, no one beats Hi Point in the customer service department!"

Hahahahaha! What a moron.

Say what you want about Hi Point but they're guaranteed for life. The owner stands behind his products and their carbines are pretty good. I had a .380 that shot great but was as heavy as a boat anchor. I bought it cheap and sold it cheap! :D

Rye ;)

Yup that was in my post....I, personally, don't have an opinion about Hi-Point one way or the other.

Rye ;)

My brother picked up a Hi Point on a lark, and I was astonished at how heavy it was when I first held it! I didn't know you could make a pistol that small, that heavy. Boat anchor is right! No idea how it shoots.

Archived