SASS Wire Forum

If you were moving cross-country

Alpo

You and your ever-lovin', and you had two automobiles.

Would you drive, or ship the cars and fly to your new home?

These two moved from Atlanta to Portland.

http://thedevilspanties.com/archives/10366

Her comment about "we shipped the cars and are flying out" just had me doing a double-take.

I know every time WE moved, Mama drove one car, Daddy drove the other, and Mayflower drove the furniture. :) But we never moved THAT far.

When we moved from Minnesota to Montana back in 01 we had a moving company move all the furniture and household things including lawnmower, snowblower and my woodshop machinery; and we each drove a vehicle. I wasn't about to let a moving company transport all the guns I don't have along with the ammo that I also don't have (and they wouldn't move that anyway) My Expedition was pretty much filled up with stuff I don't have and she toted the suitcases etc. in hers.

We did that, towed one, using the other, had the pleasure of each others company and conversation, and had the added benefit of a second vehicle in case of a breakdown, and the vehicle available as soon as we got to our destination.

3000 miles, approximately.

$1200 to ship each car, approximately = $2400.

Six days on the road, approximately, to drive. Probably longer

Two cars equal more chances for accident and breakdowns.

Approx 360 gallons of fuel (both cars). X $4.00/gallon = $1450 for fuel (approx).

$90/night lodging X 6 = $540 for lodging.

Food and incidentals = $100/day....$600/trip

Professional mover = $12000 to $15000

Do the math. Personally? I'd ship everything and fly. This is her call, not yours; do what she wants.

Worst life changes for a woman include:

Moving

Death of spouse or child

Loss of parent(s)

We always have a newer car that we used for long trips and my wife uses as her daily driver.

I have owned thirty vehicles since 1981 and usually have older vehicles as my daily driver.

In my case, I would likely sell the old vehicle (unless it was a pick-up that could haul some stuff) and buy a replacement when I got to Portland. In some states, transferring state registration is much more than buying a vehicle.

I would drive, oh wait we did drive from Colorado Springs CO, back to Santa Rosa CA. Wife drove a car and I drove a truck and trailer

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Being career Military, I moved more than several times. One of my last moves was from Washington D C to Rapid City , SD. We had three vehicles and three drivers (me, wife and teen age Son) we drove in a convoy; took four days , but we took our time and did several sight seeing detours.

The only time I ever shipped a car was in 78, and I shipped a brand new Chevy Z28 Camaro to Germany,

Cheers, Hoss

Nobody but me moves my wheel stock!

I have tow bar brackets on all of my vehicles and a heavy duty tow bar. Also can load both motorcycles onto Ol' Green.

Nobody but me moves my wheel stock!!

You and your ever-lovin', and you had two automobiles.

Would you drive, or ship the cars and fly to your new home?

These two moved from Atlanta to Portland.

http://thedevilspanties.com/archives/10366

Her comment about "we shipped the cars and are flying out" just had me doing a double-take.

I know every time WE moved, Mama drove one car, Daddy drove the other, and Mayflower drove the furniture. :) But we never moved THAT far.

Drive 'em yourself.

We drove - towing the cars behind the rental trucks. I won't use Budget ever again: their lack of cruise control and a good sound system certainly isn't worth the few bucks saved. Happy with Penske.

We also used the pods (PackRat), which worked out relatively well.

If it was cheaper and saved on the wear and tear of both the vehicles and the people, then I would ship them. That being said, when I retired and escaped from California and moved to Sparks Nevada, we drove both cars in tandem. We did that because it was only 500 miles and we had an animal to transport. I used professional movers and a POD. That was a great decision. Most of my moves I moved stuff myself (which really sucks).

Hi Alpo,

I think we would both drive. One of us pulling the trailer with the truck. The other would drive the SUV with the three critters. We would hire a mover to move the other stuff.

However, I've been looking at properties in Arizona and finally found a house on five acres in Prescott, actually closer to Chino Valley, that I liked. When I told Hubby, he said he's too old to move. So, I guess I won't find out for sure.

Regards,

Allie

I'm retired military. Lots of moves. We didn't drive our POVs from the US to Germany or from Germany to the US. :P In CONUS moves, we always drove our POVs. Same on our most recent move from Alabama to Arizona; we drove our POVs. ^_^

Approx 360 gallons of fuel (both cars). X $4.00/gallon = $1450 for fuel (approx).

Food and incidentals = $100/day....$600/trip

Gas now is about $2.25 @ gal and I can travel and eat for a lot less than $100.00 @ day for 2.

ALPO-WHEN is this move to take place?

OLG

Hi Alpo,

I think we would both drive. One of us pulling the trailer with the truck. The other would drive the SUV with the three critters. We would hire a mover to move the other stuff.

However, I've been looking at properties in Arizona and finally found a house on five acres in Prescott, actually closer to Chino Valley, that I liked. When I told Hubby, he said he's too old to move. So, I guess I won't find out for sure.

Regards,

Allie

are/were you planing to movefrom your present location ???

It would be more like bailing out of CA. However, Hubby says he couldn't take another move. So, we will most likely stay here. I do love the area and the small towns around here.

Prescott should be really affordable now---- ;)

Heard that after 40T-rod moved to Prescott. The property values really drop'd. :lol::lol::P

OLG

Back in '69, when I was getting off active duty, I sent my wife and baby daughter ahead to our new resident state...about 900 miles distance, hired a driver to driver her '66 Chevy Chevelle, and dropped out of Montana in my '65 Ford Station wagon in the midst of a howling blizzard! Car was loaded with a lot of heavy stuff I didn't want to trust to the moving van company. The car had been equipped with air shocks, which I had pumped up to maximum extension AFTER loading the car. Just north of Cheyenne, I blew a rear tire! Fortunately, a kind trucker stopped, helped me unload enough stuff to get to the spare tire and changed the tire for me! Good thing I carried the heavy stuff. Household goods were put in storage because trucks were trapped on the west side of Rogers Pass for six weeks! Didn't have much choice in moving companies, since Uncle Sugar was paying the bill!

Left Denver in '71 for California, and had both cars transported, while we flew. Same deal on the way back in '73. We sold my wife's car in Cal, and had mine transported. Bought her another one at our destination. We flew. Had enough driving in the Air Force to last me for a hundred years!

Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukkah, Pards! (Note to Jewish friends: It's probably too late now, but if you were going to have your cholesterol checked, you should have done it BEFORE all those latkes! :P )

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Allie, I am 73 and plan to move next Spring from TN to FL (God Willin'). Tell your Hubby if I can do it, he can too!

Cheers, Hoss

Gas now is about $2.25 @ gal and I can travel and eat for a lot less than $100.00 @ day for 2.

ALPO-WHEN is this move to take place?

OLG

Well, you are right. 'Course gas for some reason is usually more here on the coast. Truth is, last I checked was a road trip in July and then it was $3.90 here. I guess I was really suggesting he listen to his wife. Making it easy, acceptable and comfortable for her would be my first thought, and the difference in the costs between DIY and flying wouldn't be worth it to me, if my wife was not pleased.

Anyway, just my thought.

Best, andMerry Christmas, LG

Archived