SASS Wire Forum

Ethical Dilemma

Noz

A friend of mine has injured himself. As yet there is no prognoses as to treatment and length of re-hab.

The injury happened under dumb circumstances.

Here's my problem.

I have had a similar accident so I have a great deal of sympathy with his pain and disability.

That disregarded, he is my friend and I would be sympathetic under any conditions.

At what point may I go from the sympathy I feel for him for his pain and disability directly to the sarcasm I am withholding over the method of injury?

Bust his butt immediately, if not sooner. Withholding sarcasm when a friend hurts himself doing something stupid, especially if you have done the same stupid hurtful thing to yourself, is not friendship. It may actually cause your friend to worry that he is hurt more than he is, since he knows that if the circumstances were reversed, he'd be on you stink on sh , uh, white on rice.

30 seconds is really a long time when he is a good friend. My best buddy fell off a ladder while cleaning his gutters just before Halloween. He hurt himself badly breaking several ribs and his collarbone. He was in the hospital for two days before they would even let him receive calls. I was his first caller and complimented him on his Rocky the Flying Squirrel impersonation. He told me that if he was Rocky I'd have to be Bullwinkle for Halloween. I countered with"That's me, the dumb Moose that isn't in the Hospital".

I knew a guy that fell 30 feet and busted himself up pretty good. Both arms, pelvis, one leg, several ribs.

His friends got him to the hospital while he was still unconscious.

As soon as the doctors finished with him and they were allowed to see him, one of them told him:

"It's a good thing you're married, because we talked about it and none of us is willing to wipe your butt for you for the next two months."

So, severe injury doesn't even get you a pass from sarcasm.

Let him have it.

Casual friend,tread softly.

Good friend, let him have it.

Hey Noz!!

RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES!!

RIGHT NOW!!!

if his girlfriend caused the injury, you might not want to say much about that, especailly in front of his wife or his girlfriends husband. :ph34r:

but ifn his wife caused it, he's fair game. :D

ifn it happened on his honeymoon, you might be able to get on the tonight show and share with everyone..... :lol:

..........Widder

With this kind of advice how could I go wrong?

There is a reason that my evil twin, J-Bar decided to pass on this thread.

He did an imitation of a Mexican cliff diver in his living room. Tripped over an ottoman. Busted kneecap. Won't know til Monday how the Docs are going to approach the injury.

I feel so much better now!

I'm sure he would welcome your comments.

If a "busted kneecap" is anything like a torn meniscus, I can not laugh.

I've done the torn meniscus and a busted kneecap is much worse.

My evil twin is too kind; Mexican cliff divers are graceful.

I was not.

Thanks, Pards for the good wishes. I admit to being scared about what the doctor is going to tell me on Monday.

I may come to appreciate stand and deliver stage scenarios... :P

Hay J-Bar, did Maverick do a, "dare ya dad"? And YOU FELL FOR IT? :lol::lol::lol:

Hey J Bar

what ya say , we BLAME it on Fret ?

CB :huh:

Can't blame it on Fret, but I CAN blame it on Doc Holliday.

I had framed one of Buck Taylor's prints, Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday at the OK Corral from the movie Tombstone, and was carrying to another room. With the big picture in front of me I just tripped over the ottoman.

No damage to the print.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/82/2e/7a/822e7aa581ba67a76980000bfe4af6d7.jpg

Dumb.

Get better fast.....................................ya big dummy!!! ;):lol:

J-Bar just trying to give you a way out :D

I've done the torn meniscus and a busted kneecap is much worse.

Both for me, as well. Kneecap far worse.

That said, no holds barred on the sarcasm and tail bustin'!

Good news.

Kneecap pieces are well enough aligned that no surgery is required unless he trys to rearrange the furniture again.
All he has to do is walk like a pirate (wooden leg) for at least a month.

Archived