SASS Wire Forum

POTUS proposes race based legal system in Hawaii

Krazy Kajun

So now the current administration wants to create 2 sets of laws in Hawaii....one for the "regular" citizens and one for the "native" citizens. This article on the Fox website provides the information. You can see the NOPR here. The article mentions that if this flies then maybe there is a chance for us Kajuns to have our own set of rules......den it wud be Laissez les bons temps rouler sha :D :D :D

So now the current administration wants to create 2 sets of laws in Hawaii....one for the "regular" citizens and one for the "native" citizens. This article on the Fox website provides the information. You can see the NOPR here. The article mentions that if this flies then maybe there is a chance for us Kajuns to have our own set of rules......den it wud be Laissez les bons temps rouler sha :D :D :D

Since he (Obummer) claims to be born in Hawaii, I see this as a conflict of interest on his part. (Maybe he sees a need after he leaves

The safe confines of the White House (and Air Force one, his home of late)

Once again, it all comes down to who controls the money.

We just recently got Krazy Kajun to follow a few simple table manners. I don't know what would happen if they came up with a whole new set of Cajun laws for him to follow.

More division in our country being introduced...Sorry, I don't see this on par as the Native American situation as there have been reservations and Indian territory for many years and it's just part of what is America now.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's in line with native Americans and reservations. They are self governed and in a sense a country unto themselves.

Ike

Not the same.

Big Cypress Seminole Reservation - it's not Florida. Got their own laws.

Joe Panther, Seminole Indian living in Tampa - he's got to follow Florida law.

So there aren't laws pertaining to Indians. There are laws pertaining to Indian Reservations.

As I read that article, they are not planning "Native Hawaiian Compounds", where the people in them get different laws. They want to say, "He's umpty-ump percent Polynesian, so he gets THESE bennies.".

Totally different idea.

Not the same.

Big Cypress Seminole Reservation - it's not Florida. Got their own laws.

Joe Panther, Seminole Indian living in Tampa - he's got to follow Florida law.

So there aren't laws pertaining to Indians. There are laws pertaining to Indian Reservations.

As I read that article, they are not planning "Native Hawaiian Compounds", where the people in them get different laws. They want to say, "He's umpty-ump percent Polynesian, so he gets THESE bennies.".

Totally different idea.

Just so much more entitlements.

My recollection of history is that the poeple of Hawaii voted for statehood. Not only that, but that it was the common man, not the business owners who were mostly in support of Statehood. You don't get to join the club and then ask for special privleges

Well why not, I want to be special and have special privileges :P:P:P

You are special. You may ask. But the club has no incentive to give you the additional privleges.

As to the Naitive Americans on the mainland-their land was taken, we broke numerous treaties and did some truly awful things. I just don't see the comparison as being fair or accurate.

My recollection of history is that the poeple of Hawaii voted for statehood. Not only that, but that it was the common man, not the business owners who were mostly in support of Statehood. You don't get to join the club and then ask for special privleges

+1

Well said J. Mark! ;)

Rye

What about us Baptists? J. Mark, I think SASS should approve a Baptist Category!!

Since he (Obummer) claims to be born in Hawaii, I see this as a conflict of interest on his part. (Maybe he sees a need after he leaves

The safe confines of the White House (and Air Force one, his home of late)

A lot of folks say he's Kenyan. I don't believe it.

A revealing internet documentary brings to light the truth, that being he is really Frank Marshall Davis' son, so he's a legit American. Under the direction of Stanley Dunham, Barack Obama Sr was wrangled in to pose as BHO Jr's dad to cover up the truth of a commie radical father under FBI/CIA surveillance.

Remember "barack" translates to blessed. Don't forget that. He sure won't.

Once again, it all comes down to who controls the money.

We just recently got Krazy Kajun to follow a few simple table manners. I don't know what would happen if they came up with a whole new set of Cajun laws for him to follow.

:D :D

More division in our country being introduced...Sorry, I don't see this on par as the Native American situation as there have been reservations and Indian territory for many years and it's just part of what is America now.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Gunner, my friend, I mean no foul in saying this and hope none is taken, but why the hell don't we all play the race card so we all can be "different" ? -_-

Gunner, my friend, I mean no foul in saying this and hope none is taken, but why the hell don't we all play the race card so we all can be "different" ? -_-

Huh?

GG

This not really new, been trying to do this for years. The State of Hawaii is closer that the feds. They have been working on it for quite awhile.

Actually we did take the land from the native Hawaiian's. Just not as much bloodshed an no place to put them so to speak for a reservation. Otherwise they would own all the land and we would be leasing it like they do in Palm Springs, Calif. We just showed up and called it ours.

And while we're at it why don't we make Porto Rico a State? We took it over, we tell them how to run their business and they live off the Fed's money like everyone else!!!

IKe

That's not how I read the proposal. Technically, the rule change would re-fund the US Office for Native Hawaiian Relations which was last funded in 2004. Its purpose was to deal with the native Hawaiians with regard to the disbursement of funds generated by the lands the US holds in trust for them.

Where the hullabaloo may be coming from is the wording of the proposal which refers to "reestablishment of a government-to-government relationship with the Native Hawaiian community". In which case the proposal should be changed. The ONRH was to "effectuate and implement the special legal relationship between the Native Hawaiian people and the United States". The jump from a legal relationship with a group of affected citizens to that of converting that status of the group to that of a government is just too large and beyond what the original legislation intended.

That's not how I read the proposal. Technically, the rule change would re-fund the US Office for Native Hawaiian Relations which was last funded in 2004. Its purpose was to deal with the native Hawaiians with regard to the disbursement of funds generated by the lands the US holds in trust for them.

Where the hullabaloo may be coming from is the wording of the proposal which refers to "reestablishment of a government-to-government relationship with the Native Hawaiian community". In which case the proposal should be changed. The ONRH was to "effectuate and implement the special legal relationship between the Native Hawaiian people and the United States". The jump from a legal relationship with a group of affected citizens to that of converting that status of the group to that of a government is just too large and beyond what the original legislation intended.

Bingo!!!!

I see this as just another form of entitlement being carved out. If we've not been righteous with what was intended then lets own up to that and fix it. But to offer "sovereign nation status" to a subset of the American citizens is not right.....even if it is not a land grant but just their own government.

As far the American Indians that is a whole different ball of wax. There is so much more about that than I know so I really can't make an educated comment concerning that issue.

Archived