SASS Wire Forum

reduced BP loads for .45LC

Hogleg Hunter

If someone could pm me since we can not give load data on the wire I would appreciate it. Sent my 73 to Pioneer for a full tune up and ss kit and have to use my backup rifle which is in .45LC.

Was going to skip the next match but the closer it gets the more I think that is a bad idea.

need you to be a little more specific, what powder, what grn. bullet do you want to use filler etc.

Add: What velocity would you be satisfied with?

And you have to remember, 45 Colt is a straight wall case and with low black powder velocities your going to have abnormal blowback

I will be using APP and a 250gr bullet. I normally shoot FC with a 73 in 38/357. For that I fill the case with app to the bottom of a 158gr bullet. Probably use grits as a filler unless someone has a better idea.

Yeah, better than grits is fine activated charcoal (think aquarium filter charcoal). It all burns with the powder charge, but does not provide any extra pressure. And it never packs down tight like cereals (grits, etc) can do over time. Folks here have done experiments with grits as a filler, and pressure increases as the grits get older and harder.

'Bout half a case APP and filler to base of bullet works fine in situations where a full case is too much.

Good luck, GJ

In the rifle you should have no issues with a full case load. You may even experience a better sealing chamber and less blowback.

CR

An idea so crazy it just might work. I take a vitamin C tablet every morning. One morning I had a 45 Colt case in hand. I looked at the case and looked at the tablet and became curious. The tablet was just a slip fit into the case. Humm? I've not tried it. I don't know if the tablet would turn to powder when fired or if there is any abrasive agents or other harmful chemicals but it would take up about 2/10" of case space. When bought in season in bulk they only cost about one cent each.

A bit more costly fix but BUT one that is worlds easier in the long run, cowboy.45special loads. This will also work in the '73 rifle 'IF' the short carriers can still be found. If memory serves me right its capacity will allow loads in the 24 to 26grs of bp or subs under 160gr bullets. When using APP the whole thing is akin to loading with smokeless, no special lubes or fillers required for some light shooting easy to load rounds of smoky ammunition., The case designer had even worked out an ultra light .45 bullet before closing his doors but I do not think anyone is producing that bullet or its casting molds at this time. Wish I could be of more help BUT perhaps someone with more direct knowledge will jump in with information on this option.

Post Title ... reduced BP loads for .45LC

Subsequent powder identification ...I will be using APP and a 250gr bullet.

Hunter - look closely, ... black powder substitute. No where even close to BP

American Pioneer® Powder black powder substitute

I am sure everyone except you understood what I was asking.

Since they are loaded volume what works for bp should work for app.

Hunter - look closely, ... black powder substitute. No where even close to BP

I am sure everyone except you understood what I was asking.

Hunter - not until your post #7 and that's why Rafe asked for more details because your post header used 'BP' which is the initials for black powder and APP is not black powder - it's a substitute powder!

Don't feel alone because many CAS posters use the BP initials incorrectly for the MANY substitute powders which again, is not "original gunpowder" which is black powder.

A dried red kidney bean works very well as a space filler. ;)

You'll never even know it was there when you fire the round, other than the lighter recoil.

LG

Thanks, I just learned something. That is very creative. But I gotta ask; does it make the smoke smell like, well, you know... :o

Not sure why you would want to do it since it sounds like you are shooting them in a rifle :-) Recoil not an issue as I see it. More smoke. yeaha

Perhaps he wants less smoke in the neighborhood of his normal 38 loads. I agree, can't see recoil being a problem.

I don't know if the tablet would turn to powder when fired or if there is any abrasive agents or other harmful chemicals but it would take up about 2/10" of case space.

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. Not a real strong acid, but I would not use it.

Any filler that you do not know the composition of or don't know chemistry to know if it burns or add to the volume of powder gases is dangerous to experiment with. Follow the successes of other folks!

Thanks, I just learned something. That is very creative. But I gotta ask; does it make the smoke smell like, well, you know... :o

NOPE, you'll never know it was there.

I use'm in 1 1/8 oz shot cups when loading 1 oz loads.

They work.............

LG

I ditched my toggle guns in 45 because blowback and subsequent fouling/bound lifters. Lube types mattered little. Reduced loads compounded the issue. Worked ok with 250s full case of real BP and a good crimp. APP could very well prove different. Reminds me of smokier Trailboss but a far cry from real BP.

Good luck.

Archived