SASS Wire Forum

45-70 Powder Choice

Unique or Universal make nice light loads for target shooting and Cowboy long range .

I really like Accurate 5744 in my .45-70 rifles. I don't know for sure, but I have read that it was actually designed for smokeless loads in bp cartridges. From the Accurate website:

"Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120"

Laz

IMR 3031 works best for me at all load levels from light target tappers to hunting loads.

Duffield

When I shot smokeless in my Sharps, this is what I used. Of course BP is really the only way to go. :wub:

When I shot smokeless in my Sharps, this is what I used. Of course BP is really the only way to go. :wub:

Another vote for IMR 3031. My most accurate results (out to 200 yrds -- longest distance range available to me) were with the starting load from Lyman's 48th Edition for 3031 and 405 grain bullet. Also had good results with Accurate 5744.

Howdy- another vote for 5744. Had good results with it using commecially cast bullets in my Pedrsoli ( Navy Arms) Rolling block, and my C. Sharps 9 current production) as well as a CZ 550 .416 Rigby w cast/gaschecked bullets ( that is another story!)

Accurate 3100.......800 yards not a problem.

This powder is barrel length sensitive. Mostly if you use a load for a 32" barrel you are wasting powder in a 28" or 26" barrel. Ain't much but over time it adds up.

I load to achieve a velocity of about 1370'/sec.

(This velocity is established by shooting several full cases of Goex FFg over a chronograph. This gives me the starting point to develop smokeless loads for same rifle.)

I use 405 grain bullets with three lube grooves.

I can't get the single lube groove bullets to group.

Guest Tommy Reb

Unique with bullets in the 350 grain range. I know lots of folks like and use AA5744, but for me it leaves way too much unburned powder with lite loads. For hunting level loads, I use IMR4895.

TR

For the light loads you've asked about - Unique works well. I am also a big time IMR 3031 fan.

5744 seems to have a sharp recoil in the recommended loads.

CR

I use the lightest posted load of Hodgdon 4198 with a 405 gr. bullet. I can break a clay pidgeon at 200yd. I have tried Trailboss with the lightest load and the largest posted load with both 300 gr. and 405 gr. bullets and it did not work for me. I have a Pedersoli sharps and a Marlin Limited II.

1 more for 3031. However you may have to see what your gun likes. 2 guys I shoot with also have 45-70's. 1's rifle can't hold a 3 foot group with trail boss and the other is right on with it. YMMV

I'll jump on the 3031 band wagon too. 3031 at the lower recommended loads is accurate and not unpleasant to shoot. I also have good success with Trail Boss at the heaviest recommended load. Good Accuracy and recoil is not bad at all. Just remember that pushing a 405 grain bullet past 400 yards with Trail Boss may bring rain on a cloudy day.

For CAS side matches with my 32' barrel buffalo gun - Trail Boss does it with accuracy and ease

I've had good results with Trail Boss in both 45-70 and 50-95 Express using same charge but with slightly lighter bullet in the Express.

For smokeless I tried 5744 and Varget, starting loads from the book. Varget was all over the map for accuracy, 5744 was much more accurate. But I just like plain old BP better than anything else.

I've used both 4198 and 3031 with good results in my Billy Dixon Sharps with a 405 gr. bullet. The heavier 550 gr. loads the 4198 seems to do a little better than the 3031 load.

Archived