SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero short stroke

GPG

I have heard about the short stroke work that can be done to the Ruger's and how this helps with the hammer getting into the web or your thumb. Who does this type of work? thanks

I finished an article for the Chronicle on the new short stroke kit that is being made in Germany by Shotgun Boogie. Should be out in a couple of months.

I shoot duelist and gunfighter,had NMV's short stroked when they first came out. I could not see any advantage,at least from my prospective. Sold them and use NMVs with the Super Blackhawk hammers. That is an improvement...IMHO.

I have heard about the short stroke work that can be done to the Ruger's and how this helps with the hammer getting into the web or your thumb. Who does this type of work? thanks

There are a few doing them now.

Slick McClade ant Slick Magic guns does them also.

But you can also check with Colt Faro. He had some that was pretty nice. No welded parts.

Think it is the Shotgun Boggie one others mentioned before.

I felt them and they felt pretty darn good.

I often wander if this may be short stroke between one's brain and wallet. If this is a need why don't the gun companies offer this as an original option? Seems at times that it is a conversation topic, or bragging point by the possessor of such. Maybe it is like Colt wanting to protect the old gunsmith. I heard one gunsmith mention that he had redone several Vaqueros with the short stroking failing to be as productive as cracked up to be. I believe I will keep my money and switch to Wild Bunch with my tricked up 1911, with the invisible gas operated system and hydraulic magazine clips coupled with magnetic sights that are absolutely impossible to miss with, and my times will be cut in half.

I often wander if this may be short stroke between one's brain and wallet.

You could probably say that about most of the stuff we indulge in during our lives.

Why buy a car that runs 120+ mph when the speed limit is 70?

Why buy some of the expensive rifles like the 66, 73 and Marlin when a Rossi will do the job at much less cost?

Why buy Colts at mega prices when a good clone or Ruger will do the same job?

Short stroked pistols work well for alot of folks. But, the short stroke may not be for everyone.

I like mine. I even have 2 sets of Cowboy pistols with Octagonal barrels put on by Slick McClade.

Did I REALLY need em.....NOPE.

But do I REALLY like em.....YES I do.

..........Widder

You could probably say that about most of the stuff we indulge in during our lives.

Why buy a car that runs 120+ mph when the speed limit is 70?

Why buy some of the expensive rifles like the 66, 73 and Marlin when a Rossi will do the job at much less cost?

Why buy Colts at mega prices when a good clone or Ruger will do the same job?

Short stroked pistols work well for alot of folks. But, the short stroke may not be for everyone.

I like mine. I even have 2 sets of Cowboy pistols with Octagonal barrels put on by Slick McClade.

Did I REALLY need em.....NOPE.

But do I REALLY like em.....YES I do.

..........Widder

I also have short strokes by Slick McClade and really like them. I shoot mostly Double Duelist style and they help with old stiff hands. The last 2 matches I shot Traditional (squaw grip) and they worked really well for that as well. They are probably not for everyone but it is really hard to go back to my non-short stroked guns after shooting these.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy

I often wander if this may be short stroke between one's brain and wallet.

That could be said for a lot of things in life.

Do you really NEED that big screen TV. Or that nicer car.

Why add anything to a car or truck. Casue if you really needed it

the car company would have put it on there in the first place.

So why should our guns be any different??

Besides. If it is not coming out of your wallet. Whats it to you??

Lassiter also does a great short stroke on rugers

Lassitor shortstroked my little '66, 38 special before there were kits I believe and it has not burped in 4 years. He is one to trust any gun with. I have not taken it apart since, only clean and spray it from the outside.

Lassiter has short stroked all our Rugers. Cody James just received his two weeks ago and we can all recommend him for his great work. Thanks Lassiter!

I often wander if this may be short stroke between one's brain and wallet. If this is a need why don't the gun companies offer this as an original option? Seems at times that it is a conversation topic, or bragging point by the possessor of such. Maybe it is like Colt wanting to protect the old gunsmith. I heard one gunsmith mention that he had redone several Vaqueros with the short stroking failing to be as productive as cracked up to be. I believe I will keep my money and switch to Wild Bunch with my tricked up 1911, with the invisible gas operated system and hydraulic magazine clips coupled with magnetic sights that are absolutely impossible to miss with, and my times will be cut in half.

Howdy Fargo Bill, I kinda struggled with that mindset, also. Then, I had to figure some things out for myself... Like...., what are my goals as a shooter?!

Fact - this is a timed sport. Distance traveled equals a given time to achieve certain results. If all things are equal, the shorter the distance traveled to achieve that result, the shorter the time registered.

Fact - All things are not equal.

Fact - there is a learning curve to any new action or technique, such as the pistol short stroke. Shooting a different action/technique and not liking it, and going back to older established actions or techniques, is extremely easy to do. Looking beyond that and seeing if there is a possible smoother time savings down the road, is what I am trying to do.

Fact - There has got to be a better way! :D/>/>

My thinking is that the short stroke may well be a great improvement for pards(or pardettes) with small hands, the lowered or SBH hammers are a better advantage for those with larger hands. Kind of like using Bisley styled grips when shooting Duelist Which makes me wonder if Bisley grip frames and a short stroke might be the way to go(as I do shoot duelist.)Anyone done this with Ruger Bisley Vaqueros?

1353986269[/url]' post='2544183']

My thinking is that the short stroke may well be a great improvement for pards(or pardettes) with small hands, the lowered or SBH hammers are a better advantage for those with larger hands. Kind of like using Bisley styled grips when shooting Duelist Which makes me wonder if Bisley grip frames and a short stroke might be the way to go(as I do shoot duelist.)Anyone done this with Ruger Bisley Vaqueros?

Lots of people shoot Bisleys that have been short stroked.

I know some of the very best duelist in the world shoot Short Stroked Ruger Bisleys.

Archived