SASS Wire Forum

Reloaded shot shell vs Factory

spittoon otool

just under $5 sounds bout right,,,however I reload to git the round I want,,,,you can't go too low or unbernt powder will lodge in chamber an bugger up gittun tha hull out... :blush:

Cheyenne ;)

Depends :huh:

What you are paying shot, wads etc...

I just got a real good deal on 350 pounds of shot.

Sold some of it and made very little passing some of the savings off

to other shooters. But made just enough to pay for the 100 pounds I kept for myself.

So til that is gone it's pretty cheap for me. Atleast for awhile.

But think the others pretty well hit it at around 5 bucks.

4-5 dollars a box, when buying shot, primers and powder right. If paying 45.00 for shot and 4.00 for 100 primers, forget it!

Like Cheyenne says, ya load to get what ya want.

Ringer

I like Anvil Al, am loading Cowboy shells very cheap. Actually well under $4. Closer to $3.50. That's because I purchase in large quantities, and get bottom dollar pricing. I also am using reclaimed shot that I purchased several years ago for $20 a bag. My loaders have been amortized for years and I have no hull cost. I have scrounged enough STS hulls for free over the years, to guarantee that I never run out in my lifetime.

Without all the added plusses of very cheap shot and no hull cost, a shooter can easily reload for less that $5 a box if you purchase components in volume, rather than small quantities. It's up to the shooter to contain the costs, but it is quite possible to save a lot of money, if you go at it correctly.

RBK

With the Remington Gun Club shells at around $5 to $5.50 a box (GC12L8), I just can't see the need to buy a loader/components.....let alone the time involved. I give away the hulls to those who do reload, they say they like 'em better than AA hulls. Just saying that this ammo works fine for me and is not a heavy load.

YMMV, CS

I'm partial to my pards buying them special green STS and red AA store bought shells and throwing the hulls in the bucket after they shoot a stage.

:D

With the Remington Gun Club shells at around $5 to $5.50 a box (GC12L8), I just can't see the need to buy a loader/components.....let alone the time involved. I give away the hulls to those who do reload, they say they like 'em better than AA hulls. Just saying that this ammo works fine for me and is not a heavy load.

YMMV, CS

Will those Remington Gun Club shells shuck out of a double like the AA's? The cheap Federals stick.

I'm partial to my pards buying them special green STS and red AA store bought shells and throwing the hulls in the bucket after they shoot a stage.

:D

Yep, I do like shooting with folks that throw away quality shells. My shotgun reloads run about $4.25 - $4.50 a box. You'll save some but not as much as you will reloading your rifle and pistol ammo.

$4.50 a box to reload vs 8.99 +tax for AA shells, hours spent with my 12 year old daughter while she reloads 'em -priceless. And instead of running out I just holler for more and WHAM there they be. :)

With 7/8 OZ. reclaimed shot from Badman bullets, gray clay busters, clays powder, and winchester primers I am at just under $5.00.

+1

With me its not the money saved but the wife without bruises....she's such a dainty thing.

Will those Remington Gun Club shells shuck out of a double like the AA's? The cheap Federals stick.

Spittoon,

I use only Gun Clubs for my BP shotshells. They shuck the best of all with real black powder. That TTN has trouble with AAs sticking, but Gun Clubs fall out. Easy to come by, Dimpled Darlin shoots 'em new, and pards save 'em for me. Not sure I'd load smokeless for the couple of casess a year she goes through.

CR

$4.50 a box to reload vs 8.99 +tax for AA shells, hours spent with my 12 year old daughter while she reloads 'em -priceless. And instead of running out I just holler for more and WHAM there they be. :)

Now THAT'S cool....WTG Michigan Slim. Great father-daughter time there and I bet great memories are being made as well as shot shells!!

According to the reloading cal...I am running about 3.32 a box...

Just bought everything at the NSCA nationals last week

Shot reclaim 29.00

Win 209 145.00

Extra-lite 101.00 8lbs

CB 0178 wads 70.00

I don't own a SXS, but several of the fast shooters that I give my hull to do. The factory and/or reloaded shells shuck just fine for them. Although the base of the Remington Gun Club shells look like aluminum, they are steel. One real fast shooter I give my hulls to, tell me that he likes them beter than the STS or AA hulls.

Another thing is that sometimes Dick's has them on sale for buy one/get one for 50% off. Other times Remington has a $1.00 off per box mail in rebate. For the record, I've always recieved the rebate in a timely manner.

Try a box, I don't think you'll be disappointed. B)

CS

I don't own a SXS, but several of the fast shooters that I give my hull to do. The factory and/or reloaded shells shuck just fine for them. Although the base of the Remington Gun Club shells look like aluminum, they are steel. One real fast shooter I give my hulls to, tell me that he likes them beter than the STS or AA hulls.

Another thing is that sometimes Dick's has them on sale for buy one/get one for 50% off. Other times Remington has a $1.00 off per box mail in rebate. For the record, I've always recieved the rebate in a timely manner.

Try a box, I don't think you'll be disappointed. B)

CS

Thanks Cypress, I think I will try the Gun Club shells before I buy all the gear and fix'ins for reloading.

Lol,

I figure I load 3-4 or so per minute which is 180-240 an hour so 7-9 boxes or so at $4.00 savings per gives me $28-$36 per hour. Of course a progressive press helps.

I load on a Spolar Gold with the Hydraulic actuator :wub: . When rolling, I get about 36 shells done per minute and it crimps even crappy hulls like factory.

It was an expensive loader but I am now loading for multiple shooters so it's been really handy to load that fast.

JEL

I load on a Spolar Gold with the Hydraulic actuator :wub: . When rolling, I get about 36 shells done per minute and it crimps even crappy hulls like factory.

It was an expensive loader but I am now loading for multiple shooters so it's been really handy to load that fast.

JEL

Mr. Law, you should make a video.

I have the reloading equipment, but the cost of new to reloading is almost a wash, here is my thoughts. I like the AA hulls and if you buy what you need, as I have done when Winchester offers the $2 rebate. It just seems to make more since to buy new. Here is how I look at it:

$8.99 per box minus the $2.00 brings it down to $6.99. Save them once fired hulls and collect them things till you have 1,000 or more. They are worth 5 to 10 cents each. So there is another $1.25 to $2.50 per box savings if you want to sell them once fired hulls. Your final cost could be $4.49 to $5.74 per box.

I have never paid no more the $7.99, mostly $7.49 for my AA's at Bass Pro Shop in Michigan. My savings could be $1 to $1.5 less from what was listed above. I have not sold any of my once fired hulls yet, but I could in a pinch.

Just a different angle on the cost.

I buy the cheapy Federal 1oz loads for $5 a box tax included when I buy a case, and sometimes <$4.25 a box when I catch the sale right. Because of that is not really worth it to me to reload shotshells. They might have more kick then some use, but I always know I will knock down the targets.

Where reloading is real nice is when you need the ammo you just make more. I have not saved a nickle but now I shoot a heck of a lot more for the same coin. And it is relaxing to sit and do or, in my case, go thru my messes or clean guns while my little girl (12) makes the ammo. :) Good hours together each month.

Thanks Cypress, I think I will try the Gun Club shells before I buy all the gear and fix'ins for reloading.

I've bought Gun Clubs and like them. A well known shooter from Durango uses them in his '97s. However I now use the blue Peters target loads since they have a smooth surface. I reloaded a few boxes with APP for my wife at CaC and they performed flawlessly out of her SKB.

You guys are making me reconsider reloading shotshells. With Win Featherlites at $9 per box, I'm saving money, but I'm just breaking even compared to the Remington Gun Club shells. I might have to buy a box to give them a try.

Hey Frank,

I'll sell you a case (10 boxes) of AA Featherlights for $70.00 or if you'd like to try the RGC shells, I'll either loan you a box or sell you a box for $5.50. Let me know by PM or land line.

Sun

Archived