SASS Wire Forum

What Makes A Good Posse Marshall?

Brother King, SASS #69031

I've been on some excellent posses and really marveled at how well they ran. I've also been on some posses that didn't run very well at all. Some say that it's the tone and attitude of the PM that makes the difference.

What say you? What has been your experience? What makes for a good PM at a big shoot?

I think the people make the difference. Sure the PM needs to know the rules and keep things moving.I think if the people want to work and watch what is going on,that is the only way for a good posse.I have been on a posse where half the people didn't wanted to work.That makes it hard on the PM and the ones that do work.I have never had a bad PM.Just my 2 cents worth.

First and foremost, I think a Posse Marshal needs to remember that we are all out there to have FUN. From the fastest to the slowest, each in our own way, we want to have a good time. Keep up a cheerful countenance and lead the "Yeehaaas" for a clean stage.

Read the stage instructions verbatim, loudly and clearly, and add any modifications or details determined at the PM walk through.

Keep the posse moving ~ take any discussions off the line and make sure all jobs are filled according to each shooter's abilities.

Teach newbies how to count misses.

MAKE CERTAIN that categories are entered on the scoresheets for every shooter.

And finally, the Posse Marshal should do all this, and should also enjoy the match him(her)self!!!

At least that's the way I see it ~

eGG

I believe there are several qualities that make up a good PM. It is not just knowing the rules. You have to be patient, remembering that this game was set up to be fun. The person shooting the 120 second stage, make sure they have fun and feel wanted. A good PM is most likely a good shooter themselves. I say this because they need to be able to think and act quickly with reference to the stage and the person shooting. This so they can "safely ASSIST the shooter." The PM needs to be someone who is having fun playing this game themselves. How can you help someone on your posse have a good time if you are not having one yourself. That is all I have to say about that for now.

Good Posse Marshall feels as bad as you do when he has ta call ya on somethin'..

Year or so back.. came to the line.. staged my rifle...

"Rance... sorry ol' buddy.. gotta give ya a stage DQ.. yer hammer ain't dropped on yer rifle"

I looked down :wacko: ... Titus was correct.. Now there's a good Posse Marshall..

He ran a excellent posse both days...

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I'd be on his Posse anytime :)

Just a side note..

A Good Workin' Posse makes a Posse Marshall's job a lot easier..

Other than that... I agree with post #3 :lol::lol:

Smiling 99.9% of the time; talking friendly to each posse member rather than huddling with a couple buddies; staying engaged with the posse by watching HIS posse and anticipating problems and doing something to smooth things out; applying penalties even handedly and diplomatically.

A good posse marshall shows his posse that his focus is on the shooters having a safe, fun shoot; not on himself.

The best PM's I have had the pleasure of shooting with were folks that were efficient with their arm around you, that laughed WITH you and not at you, that tried to the best of their ability to make it fun, helped you out when things were going south in a hurry, knew the rules but was NOT a dictator,they would look things up just to be sure, they were masters of delegating things and didn't micro-manage, they knew when to step in and when to stay out of the way...

THAT is a good Posse Marshal to ME....maybe it is for you as well.

Bugler

What? That's it? :lol:

Being a PM is a difficult job. Not only are they to move shooters through the stage, make sure the rules are followed, the Spirit of the Game adhered to, ensure safety, but also make it fun. It is a lot like hearding cats! It is a thankless job, and the successful ones always seem to have a great sense of humour and terrific people skills.

And yes the adult beverages at the end of the day make everything worthwhile!

Able to stay friendly to all,laugh and have fun,Keep the posse on track making sure all things get done in a timely mannor...

Able to relate to all, ready to step to the plate and make the right call even when it's the tough call,doesn't show favoritism to the Big-Guns ....

Because he's a "Top Shooter" don't mean he can't miss or get a "p" ...................

Can't remember ever having a Bad Posse Marshall !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Brother King, Some nice and true qualifications stated thus far.

I surely like all those in a Posse Marshall, but the biggest one is, that the PM causes/inspires me shoot the best match ever!

OkD

Brother King, Some nice and true qualifications stated thus far.

I surely like all those in a Posse Marshall, but the biggest one is, that the PM causes/inspires me shoot the best match ever!

OkD

A good PM gets an evil smile on his lips and chuckles to himself when he gets to give OkD a SDQ! :(

Ghost

I've been on some excellent posses and really marveled at how well they ran. I've also been on some posses that didn't run very well at all. Some say that it's the tone and attitude of the PM that makes the difference.

What say you? What has been your experience? What makes for a good PM at a big shoot?

I would say tone and attitude have a LOT to do with it.

Heck. You can get a rule sorted out. But it's sure hard to change, or have a good time around

a bad attitude.

Or a know it all I'm the boss attitude.

Have been a PM at some large matches.

Still not comfortable with it. And get nerves before doing it each time.

Always think I did a bad job.

And so far. Have never shot good while doing it.

A good posse marshal has to be very business like while having fun doing it.

He should also be able to ensure that the posse members do the same. This is hard to do.

It seems to come natural to some folks; Anvil Al, Texas Gunslinger, and Non_Stop come to mind.

As much as I hate to do this, let me throw Phantom in there also.

I believe there are several qualities that make up a good PM. It is not just knowing the rules. You have to be patient, remembering that this game was set up to be fun. The person shooting the 120 second stage, make sure they have fun and feel wanted. A good PM is most likely a good shooter themselves. I say this because they need to be able to think and act quickly with reference to the stage and the person shooting. This so they can "safely ASSIST the shooter." The PM needs to be someone who is having fun playing this game themselves. How can you help someone on your posse have a good time if you are not having one yourself. That is all I have to say about that for now.

This guy here is a great example of a good posse marshal!

Someone once said that power corrupts, and obsolute power corrupts obsolutely. For the most part, I think a good Posse Marshall should remain in the shadows. Like any good manager, he should delegate his authority and trust in it's compliance. Only when demanded should he step forward and enforce his power. Ideally by match's end, I will have forgotten his alias as Posse Marshall remembering only the enjoyment of shooting with the group.

Being Bossy, don't make you Boss.

Some may not agree with me on this, but tne thing I've observed about really good Posse Marshalls is that they leave the Timer job to others. Some Posse Marshalls seem to think they should be the Timer most of the time. I think that is a mistake. By leaving the Timer job to others, he/she can better observe how the posse is functioning,can make adjustments, and can be more available to the other posse members.

One thing I've observed about good Posse Marshalls it that they leave the Timer job to others. Some Posse Marshalls seem to think they should be the Timer most of the time. I think that is a mistake. By leaving the Timer job to others, he/she can better observe how the posse is functioning and can make adjustments.

Sounds good in theory, BGQ, but often our posses only have two TOs (must be an ROI or ROII -- done to stimulate people to take the classes). How about when you are Match Director, TG, PM, and TO all at the same time? And throw in scorekeeper to boot. ^_^

top notch posse marshal simply puts his posse, the shooters on that posse, and the events of the match above his own personal shooting. Being a p;osse marshall is more of a sacrifice than anything else in a match.

Match directors usually pre shoot the match so they get their fun

shooters focus on their personal match and then think about working the posse

but a posse marshal has to be willing to stop in the middle of loading his guns and take care of an issue, be willing to go above and beyond the call of duty, and be wiling to work harder than any other person on the posse. ALL WHILE MAINTAINING THE BEST MOST POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND THE BIGGEST SMILE POSSIBLE.

A great posse marshal is hard to come by.

MJ

several of the match directors i know pre shoot. YES!

It must be nice, MJ. :) None in my area do it unless it is a major match, and you are beaten down by the time you shoot through. :( Can I come live with you? :lol:

Okie, I seem to be missing something. You're a great Posse Marshall. OK.

So where is the good selection of adult beverages to share after the firearms have been put away.

Okie, I seem to be missing something. You're a great Posse Marshall. OK.

So where is the good selection of adult beverages to share after the firearms have been put away.

:lol: You need to hang around and come out to my truck for a snort of Patron Takillya. :blink:

Do you think that it helps to get jobs identified and volunteers roughly figured out? For example, one of the best posses I was ever on was this year at EOT. Rattler John didn't assign jobs, but those who liked to spot, got it figured out pretty right quick when to shoot and when to switch. So did those who were TO's.

Nobody ran the clock for more than 5-6 shooters. No one spotted or set targets for more than about the same.

That's just a guess.... it was all pretty dang natural and of course, there were a couple who sorta just sat on their carts.

What the heck does a PM do about that?

Do you think that it helps to get jobs identified and volunteers roughly figured out? For example, one of the best posses I was ever on was this year at EOT. Rattler John didn't assign jobs, but those who liked to spot, got it figured out pretty right quick when to shoot and when to switch. So did those who were TO's.

Nobody ran the clock for more than 5-6 shooters. No one spotted or set targets for more than about the same.

That's just a guess.... it was all pretty dang natural and of course, there were a couple who sorta just sat on their carts.

What the heck does a PM do about that?

For the idlers, when a position needs replacing, politely instruct the idler to fill the position. "Birdgun, please relieve Brother King as spotter." If the idler doesn't move, leave it, the posse will just have to function without the idler's help. However, I've found that most will fill in when directed by the Posse Mashall. Again, this approach needs a Posse Marshall that is not tied down to a timer.

For the idlers, when a position needs replacing, politely instruct the idler to fill the position. "Birdgun, please relieve Brother King as spotter." If the idler doesn't move, leave it, the posse will just have to function without the idler's help. However, I've found that most will fill in when directed by the Posse Mashall. Again, this approach needs a Posse Marshall that is not tied down to a timer.

Of course it helps to know the posse. Some of these 'idler's' are disabled, and do good to make it through the match, much less do posse duties. I try to get those folks to sit at the unloading table and clear firearms, or sit and spot if the stage allows it -- some stages require the spotters to move around. It helps the posse marshal a lot if a person will come up and say, "I have xxx wrong with me, and as much as I'd like to help, I'll do good to shoot six stages."

Of course it helps to know the posse. Some of these 'idler's' are disabled, and do good to make it through the match, much less do posse duties. I try to get those folks to sit at the unloading table and clear firearms, or sit and spot if the stage allows it -- some stages require the spotters to move around. It helps the posse marshal a lot if a person will come up and say, "I have xxx wrong with me, and as much as I'd like to help, I'll do good to shoot six stages."

I agree. For those disabled, I give them the score book. If you are able to shoot, there is generally a posse job that a good Posse Marshal can find for you to do. I'm sure there are some situations where the posse member can't do any posse job. However, there are able bodied idlers that just refuse to help unless directed.

If a person is so frail/sickly they can't perform ANY posse duty, are they really able to shoot a stage safely? Now don't get me wrong. I will, and have, always do my share plus some so others don't have to overwork themselves and always will try to accommodate everyone. But seriously, is there any time a person can't even sit and watch the unloading table or keep score that they are able to shoot?

If a person is so frail/sickly they can't perform ANY posse duty, are they really able to shoot a stage safely? Now don't get me wrong. I will, and have, always do my share plus some so others don't have to overwork themselves and always will try to accommodate everyone. But seriously, is there any time a person can't even sit and watch the unloading table or keep score that they are able to shoot?

Never seen it, Possum. Had a fella with leukemia that would always work the unloading table. An elderly, arthritic lady who keeps score, etc. The only time I get irritated is at the healthy 30-40 y/o folks who are too busy jackjawing to help out.

Archived