SASS Wire Forum

What Makes A Good Posse Marshall?

Brother King, SASS #69031

Some may not agree with me on this, but tne thing I've observed about really good Posse Marshalls is that they leave the Timer job to others. Some Posse Marshalls seem to think they should be the Timer most of the time. I think that is a mistake. By leaving the Timer job to others, he/she can better observe how the posse is functioning,can make adjustments, and can be more available to the other posse members.

When that is possable. But MANY times it's not. Some posses just flat don't have the right people on it

to make that happen.

Have also been a PM at a match that at the PM walk through. Was told they only wanted the PM and the Asst PM running the

timer.

Add to it that many that can. Just don't want to do it at a big match.

There is one coming up where I am the PM. Don't really know many on the posse. Don't know who can. Or who will.

And if the are any good at it.

Get the wrong person on the timer and they can make others day a bad one.

Just because they have a RO1 does not make them good at it.

I started out being a deputy PM for Texas Paladin over 12 years ago at Winter Range. He was a fine PM to learn from and I like to think that I did. Since, I have PMed many large matches, of latter years, with Non Stop as my Deputy. We have possed with some top shooters and category winners of our game, I find these shooters are excellent spotters and seems they almost push & shove to get the timer or spotting stick. They want to occupy their time, but more importantly most everyone of them deeply believe in "benefit of doubt to shooter" because maybe more than some, want the same "favor" shown to them. For myself, I really do not like to be a spotter as my mind wonders and does not stay focused where it should, so I understand if someone does not want the job. As a PM I try to in the beginning explain to posse that if you are not comfortable with spotting then do not do it, there are other jobs. Hopefully all shooters will try to do something. To my spotters and TOs I like to emphasis BOD and the "if its a hit then its.....", I think these are two of the most important things to help make a good posse, that is other than just being safe. I personally like to add humor as we go and I like to see fairly new competiters helped. Since I am a serious competitor, I, too, often find myself not having a great match and unfortunately I believe that reflects in how enjoyable I might be to posse as for as being a "cut-up", but my goal is certainly to make posse feel relaxed and have fun no matter how serious the shooter is just before the beep. All in all, like Rattler John, Non Stop and I have sure had some good posses where rotation of TO/spotters is excellent,and that makes for memorable posse. The days when Handlebar Doc, Londghunter, Shalako Joe, Badlands Ben, Texas Jack Morales, Calvin N Hobbs, Barbary Coast, Squaw Creek Rose, myself and a number of other shooters all tried to posse together are great memories. It is always nice to return to a match such as EOT and/or WR to see your posse has familiar shooters from the year before (and maybe several years before)that you know you can count on. NS & I can count on Texas Jim Henry, Tame Bill, Two Gun Johnny, TRO, Brisco Kid, Kiaminchi Queen, and several others each year but it is always a good feeling to find new faces as this year we got to posse with Possum Skinner at EOT and Slick McCabe at WR, top competiters that made excellent workers.

All posse members want to leave the match saying they had a good Posse Marshall, but in return the PM likes to reflect that they had a good working posse. Sure we may make some calls (or no calls) and decisions we might regret after more thought, but as long as, whether PM-TO-spotter, you did what you thought was right at time then in the long run it will work out.

I would say tone and attitude have a LOT to do with it.

Heck. You can get a rule sorted out. But it's sure hard to change, or have a good time around

a bad attitude.

Yep...there's something to be said about a little tact! :D

Tact? Oh crap.... :o

When that is possable. But MANY times it's not. Some posses just flat don't have the right people on it

to make that happen.

Have also been a PM at a match that at the PM walk through. Was told they only wanted the PM and the Asst PM running the

timer.

There is one coming up where I am the PM. Don't really know many on the posse. Don't know who can. Or who will.

Hmmm. Ask. Watch. Make adjustments. The PM can't always do that with the timer in his/her hand.

Needless to say, I've seen PMs fail to know what's going on with their posse because they had the timer in their hand.

Hmmm. Ask. Watch. Make adjustments. The PM can't always do that with the timer in his/her hand.

Needless to say, I've seen PMs fail to know what's going on with their posse because they had the timer in their hand.

Did not say it would not be a good thing.

Just that it is not always possable.

to make that happen.

timer.

I agree with you Anvil Al,

Anvil Al hits alot of different shoots and no doubt has been on a posse where he and maybe one or two others are qualifed to run the timer. When you get a small family of new shooters, and some of our elderly shooters, then sprinkle in some others that are shy and do not desire to step up, addin possible interesting weather/stage conditions, and it can and does make for a tough time to manage the hold enchilda!! That is why I like being on posse's with shooters like, Anvil Al, Billy Boots, Spur Roberts, Texas Slim, Gunslinger,Phantom, I Rekon, Johnny Morris, Lassiter, just to name a few, They all step up, deal with it, bring a top notch attitude, safety, FUN, and flat out just get the job done. Sometimes, You just do the best you can do.

Good topic!

Oklahoma Dee

I agree with you Anvil Al,

Anvil Al hits alot of different shoots and no doubt has been on a posse where he and maybe one or two others are qualifed to run the timer. When you get a small family of new shooters, and some of our elderly shooters, then sprinkle in some others that are shy and do not desire to step up, addin possible interesting weather/stage conditions, and it can and does make for a tough time to manage the hold enchilda!! That is why I like being on posse's with shooters like, Anvil Al, Billy Boots, Spur Roberts, Texas Slim, Gunslinger,Phantom, I Rekon, Johnny Morris, Lassiter, just to name a few, They all step up, deal with it, bring a top notch attitude, safety, FUN, and flat out just get the job done. Sometimes, You just do the best you can do.

Good topic!

Oklahoma Dee

Wow!! Leave the weak and elderly pack shooters along side the trail to fend for themselves (bunch them up on a posse) and ride on with the strong and brave attitude. Thats the Cowboy Way.

However, I frequently see posses make up of folks with your preferences.

Sad!

Wow!! Leave the weak and elderly pack shooters along side the trail to fend for themselves (bunch them up on a posse) and ride on with the strong and brave attitude. Thats the Cowboy Way.

Sad!

No, No, no, Blastmaster!!. That is not what I wrote, nor implied. :lol: We, and all those I mentioned, have never left anyone behind, heck, we would even work your posse! They take what posse they are on and do the best possible job. ;) There are some shoots where you get to put names in, as to who you get to posse with, and those names, I mentioned, are ones I would love to posse with.

OkD

Sad!

Jeeeez, Ross.... get a cup of coffee or let the one you're on kick in, OkD never said that or even implied it. :rolleyes:

I've been at only one shoot where the PM or Asst PM were the only ones allowed to TO. They were so tired by stage 4-5 everyday that the PM actually SDQ'd from a pure cranial/anal inversion. THink about it...18-20 on a posse and you've run 10-15 for 6 stages? WOW... it would probably be bad form to just refuse and let qualified RO's take the clock....but....

My own view is that if you tell people what's expected. Get a commitment from them and then ask them to acknowledge their accountability they usually rise above what you expected.

For the others there is that "tact" thing and maybe I could use a refresher course.

No, No, no, Blastmaster!!. That is not what I wrote, nor implied. :lol: We, and all those I mentioned, have never left anyone behind, heck, we would even work your posse! They take what posse they are on and do the best possible job. ;) There are some shoots where you get to put names in, as to who you get to posse with, and those names, I mentioned, are ones I would love to posse with.

OkD

ok

Archived