SASS Wire Forum

Back in the day, we had good music

Utah Bob #35998

Hey Bobby,

I love '60s music. :blush:

On my drive back from Orygun, I listened to '60s music all the way. Hubby's new truck came with a year free subscription to Serius. They have an all '60s channel. :D Pretty B) Unfortunately, he thinks it's too expensive for the minimal driving we do and won't renew it. :(

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS KK, although I remember that song, it is not a fav. :o

...and then there is alway

50s "music" don't count. :lol:

The 60's (And early 70's) was one of the greatest eras in western civilization when it comes to music, IMHO.. B)

Don't matter if it's folk, rock, jazz or country..The music that came out of that era is timeless! :D

That young lady rates right up with Mamma Cass and Karen Carpenter.

Thanks, Bob.

...and then there is alway

B U T ! ! ! !

The question remains - was he a "PURPLE" people eater, or a purple "PEOPLE" eater ? ? ? ? ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Tull

They was poor back then too. Couldn't even afford a microphone for each person.

Gonna download and convert "Blowin' in the Wind" and put it on my iPod. I was always partial to folk music even back then, but I was in the minority in my school.

Their 1966 In Concert album has to rank in top 10 of my all time favorite albums.

"Jesus Met The Woman", "One Kind Favor", and 'Paul Talk'["here they come, there they are,.........don't look at them" - "he has just had his bands adjusted"].

Thanks for posting

Tull

B U T ! ! ! !

The question remains - was he a "PURPLE" people eater, or a purple "PEOPLE" eater ? ? ? ? ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Tull

Or maybe a "PURPLE PEOPLE" eater??? :unsure:

Do a search for IM 365 and all the oldies are on there for your to listen to at no charge. You can pick your year or years you want the music from. Really nice, have it on in the shop 24/7. Sock Hop from the 50's and 60's and 57 Chev with the songs of the 50's nd 60's is my favorite. They have 60's, 70's 80's etc. It is pretty much commercial free.

Steely Dan from "Can't Buy a Thrill" album to current.

Steely Dan brought a whole new meaning to rock-n-roll. Some of the best studio musicians in the world playing on those albums! In case you didn't know Steely Dan was only 2 guys. Donald Fagen (from here in Cleveland) and Walter Becker. The rest of the musicians were hired hands. In the beginning there was a singer and drummer here and there but it was basically always Fagen and Becker. Just great stuff!

Rye

The 60's (And early 70's) was one of the greatest eras in western civilization when it comes to music, IMHO.. B)

Don't matter if it's folk, rock, jazz or country..The music that came out of that era is timeless! :D

Sorry Doc. I can't agree with you, but then I am of another time and place. I like the sounds of the 40 and 50.

Some of the older more classical is great too. The 60s was not a good time for me music wise.

A few of my favorites from the 60's and 70's....good ones to "get on up" on :

Get On Up - by The Esquires

- by Mel & Tim

- by The O'Kaysions

- by the Sanford Townsend Band.

Speaking fo music, I am listening to Jay & The Amercians Sands of Time & Wax Museum. The last two albums the group did. Music that is timeless. The same cannot be said for what passes for "top 40" these days, and don't get me started on Rap.........

Isn't rap what happen when you spoke wrong the your parents...But you are right about to days music...Wouldn't give you two cents for it...Its getting harder to find anything to listen to on the radio...I would listen to CDs but my unit took my last one and will give it up...Maybe time to update the unit...But that takes away from the reloading supplies...Maybe next year...

Texas Lizard

Hey,

Don't be so quick to trash today's music. There are still some I admire, like

We won't trash all of today's music. Just most of it. ;)

The funny thing is I can remember the words to almost all of the old songs, but can't even understand the words to any new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxB42cjHTGg

In the first post, The Seekers-is that Buddy Holle on bass?

Here is a great PPandM "dittyz":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWYXcbGfkQ&feature=related

It was just some really classic stuff that they put on the PP&M in Concert album

I could go on for days about great music....from almost every era, But one of my favorites all the way up to 2000 when he passed on, and that was Hoyt Axton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2dSRcqLBE

(and this just happens to be with my favorite girl singer to boot.)

curley

Hey Bobby,

I love '60s music. :blush:

On my drive back from Orygun, I listened to '60s music all the way. Hubby's new truck came with a year free subscription to Serius. They have an all '60s channel. :D Pretty B) Unfortunately, he thinks it's too expensive for the minimal driving we do and won't renew it. :(

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS KK, although I remember that song, it is not a fav. :o

===================================================

Ain't satellite radio wunnerful? Ya kin listen to the same station while driving from one end of the country to the other without ever touching the dial.

===================================================

Ain't satellite radio wunnerful? Ya kin listen to the same station while driving from one end of the country to the other without ever touching the dial.

Yep!

It's really difficult to "seek" while driving in the mountains.

Sorry Doc. I can't agree with you, but then I am of another time and place. I like the sounds of the 40 and 50.

Some of the older more classical is great too. The 60s was not a good time for me music wise.

I like the Big Band Stuff too, and the 50's gave us Rock & Roll..And ELVIS!!

And of course what we referred to in college as the "Dead European White Guys"..Beethoven is my favorite, but I also like Bach, Mozart, Liszt, Vivaldi, and Paganini..The 1800's "Romantic Era" was to the Victorian age what the Music of the 60's was to the 20th century, for me.

I guess Y'all can tell I love music! :DB)

I used to intentionally pi** my much younger fellow students in college off by stating that rap was not a valid form of music..When they would argue, I would say real music is made by one or more people playing or singing well, and were able to do so after years of practice and perserverance..Not spouting off angry, profane prison poetry, while someone in the background wrecks a turntable by scratching up an vinyl LP on it! :lol:

I like the Big Band Stuff too, and the 50's gave us Rock & Roll..And ELVIS!!

And of course what we referred to in college as the "Dead European White Guys"..Beethoven is my favorite, but I also like Bach, Mozart, Liszt, Vivaldi, and Paganini..The 1800's "Romantic Era" was to the Victorian age what the Music of the 60's was to the 20th century, for me.

I guess Y'all can tell I love music! :DB)

I used to intentionally pi** my much younger fellow students in college off by stating that rap was not a valid form of music..:lol:

:lol: :lol: I would have to agree with you on that one tho.

Took Captain Jack over to the supermarket for some grub the other day. I had the radio on and I switched over to the King FM classical music station. When I pulled into the parking lot the announcer said that they were going to play Ravel's BOLERO. I said to Jack, "At least you will not have to listen to that."When I came out of the store it was still playing.

Curley -

Here is Hoyt doing a PP & M song - and IMHO doing it much better - way more feeling.

Professor [still sifting sand] Tull

Curley -

Here is Hoyt doing a PP & M song - and IMHO doing it much better - way more feeling.

Professor [still sifting sand] Tull

Popular song indeed.

"It has also been recorded by the Brothers Four, Sonny & Cher, Johnny Rivers, Alexander Rybak, The Hooters, Reba McEntire, Jackie DeShannon, The Seekers, Elvis Presley, The Highwaymen, The Seldom Scene, Nick Cave, Richard Anthony, Franco Battiato, Rosanne Cash, Bad Astronaut, Peter and Gordon, Eric Bibb, Hootenanny Singers, the innocence mission, Joan Baez, the Persuasions and many others."

-Billboard Magazine-

Am I the only one who remembers the 30s and 40s?

I remember the music...but not the years. :lol:

Proff. Tull

I have to say that I am a "studied" ultimate fan of Hoyt. been listening to him since early 60's saw him in concert whnen there was only 3 other people in the audience. In the 70's my ex and I would go back stage, and he would call our house to wish our little girl happy birthday. I have "almost" every recording available and some not available today....

But, I have to say I don't think I ever heard that cut of 500 miles.

My hat is off to you good sire....and thank you for a very cool song.....

curley

Archived