SASS Wire Forum

Camera Disaster

Utah Bob #35998

A few of us dinosaurs were bemoaning the demise of film cameras the other day.

Then on the way home from Revenge yesterday my camera fell into the cooler that still had water in the bottom. I didn't discover it until this morning when I was unloading the truck.

Sobbing, I pulled my submerged, beloved Fuji from the icy depths. It's now sunning on the porch after attempted resuscitation with the mem sahib's hair dryer but I fear for the worst.

The good news is that thanks to modern elektronics I simply pulled the memory card out and I still have all the pics I took at the match. Sometimes, change is good. :unsure::lol:

Bob,

Dont be afraid to bake it in the oven at around 122 degrees F (or 50 deg C if you prefer) for a few hours. I have rescued more cell phones from their watery grave than I can count that way.

Dogmeat (Electrical Engineer In My Other Life) Dad

Bob,

Dont be afraid to bake it in the oven at around 122 degrees F (or 50 deg C if you prefer) for a few hours. I have rescued more cell phones from their watery grave than I can count that way.

You forgot to tell him to stick his head in there as well. B)

My oven won't go below 170. I got the back plate off and have it sitting in front of the hair dryer. I don't have much hope though.

I really liked that camera.

Here's one of the last shots I took on the way to the shoot.

The sun coming up over the La Plata range on Sat morning.

U-Bob;

I feel your pain... But the only way to heal your heart is to buy a new camera. May I suggest:

Panasonic Lumix FZ-150

It's a Super-Zoom. Does about 90% of what the fancy-shmancy, Gnu Yawk City metro-sexual DSLRs do, for about 15% of the price.

BTW, I dropped my iPod into the dogs' water dish. I turned it off (couldn't pull the battery) and left it on a warm window sill for 3 days. Except for being cleaner, I couldn't tell it had ever been submerged. Here's wishing you luck. However, optics can be a might bit touchy.

Then on the way home from Revenge yesterday my camera fell into the cooler that still had water in the bottom. I didn't discover it until this morning when I was unloading the truck.

Sobbing, I pulled my submerged, beloved Fuji from the icy depths. It's now sunning on the porch after attempted resuscitation with the mem sahib's hair dryer but I fear for the worst.

The good news is that thanks to modern elektronics I simply pulled the memory card out and I still have all the pics I took at the match. Sometimes, change is good. :unsure::lol:

Step one - remove the battery.

Step two - place in a large container of alcohol to displace the water,

Step Three - remove and air dry - wiping contacts and other exposed surfaces - lens face, etc.

Step Four (optional)- go to Amazon and start shopping for a replacement if that didn't get it to work . . . .

SC

Step one - remove the battery.

Step two - place in a large container of alcohol to displace the water,

Step Three - remove and air dry - wiping contacts and other exposed surfaces - lens face, etc.

Step Four (optional)- go to Amazon and start shopping for a replacement if that didn't get it to work . . . .

SC

Step Four is a winner. :lol:

I had a $900 Nikon 8800 that had that problem. I sent it off the Nikon and it was returned as "Beyond repair."

Now I use it to find out if there is a dishonest person around. (I just leave it sitting unattended somewhere nearby.) It hasn't disappeared yet. These days an 8800 is asking for 175 on ebay but most people would not know that on just seeing the camera.

Step one - remove the battery. Check.

Step two - place in a large container of alcohol to displace the water, Check.

Step Three - remove and air dry - wiping contacts and other exposed surfaces - lens face, etc. Drink the alcohol and go directly to step four. :blush:

SC

The alcohol is the kind that'll kill me.

Probably not you though. ;)

I will however, attempt to drown my photographic sorrow with something appropriate. :rolleyes:

The alcohol is the kind that'll kill me.

Probably not you though. ;)

I will however, attempt to drown my photographic sorrow with something appropriate. :rolleyes:

These guys are pretty good at testing and making it easy to see what's good and bad: DP review

and my lust object these days is this one: I lika Leica!

so I'm still waiting and saving my pennies!

Shadow Catcher

Keep the alcohol off the lenses... might not be overly healthy for the coatings. :huh:

Any lens coating that won't take alcohol probably won't last a good season of serious shooting anyway.

It ought to be just shy of bullet proof or it's not coating, it's a glaze . .

They ought to stand up to just about anything shy of steel wool . .. .

YMMV,

SC

Recently I tossed my cell phone in the dishpan.. lol No you don't want to know how... It worked for a few hours, and then suddenly it went down and would not come back up. I recently moved back to Riverside, and calling dad often or him calling me became my concern. I left work to go get my phone fixed. Of course all the "suggestions" one store had were costly.. lol.. So I tried a differnt one and they came up with a few great solutions. Since in my panic I took the day off, they suggested I spend the day with my phone sitting in the sun on my dash or my window at home. I chose the dash and I spend the day just goofing off. It came back up so I could reach everyone. However it had a few glitches for a few days. The colors changed, lol.. and some times it would text sometimes it would not. Finally this week it takes pictures again without a foggy swamp look for a frame.. lol... I sent duck pond photos to JJJ's today and they were pretty good again. I love cell phones for the ability to know whats going on with my family and friends, the photo part of it became a fun tool.. I did miss it while it was down.. but then we all know I have this thing for keyboards.. lol

U-Bob;

I feel your pain... But the only way to heal your heart is to buy a new camera. May I suggest:

Panasonic Lumix FZ-150

It's a Super-Zoom. Does about 90% of what the fancy-shmancy, Gnu Yawk City metro-sexual DSLRs do, for about 15% of the price.

And it's got a Leica lens. It really doesn't get any better than that in my book. My first digital camera (the one I bought so I could post pictures of my film camera collection :lol: ) was the first version of the Lumix. GREAT little camera.

Sorry about the water torture on your Fuji, Bob, but at least it's an opportunity to add a new camera to your collection ;)

Utah, about a year ago, I dropped our camera into a large puddle of water. It was completely submerged. I immediately pulled the card and battery, dried as much as possible with paper towels and actually tied it to a fan. Kept turning it ever couple hours, then let it sit overnight with fan on it. Next morning put battery back in. Its been working since, no problem. Maybe I was lucky, MT

Well dropping a camera in the water momentarily and letting it soak overnight are two different things I reckon. Got it totally dried out now. Electronics mostly function but the optics are toast. So it's camera shopping I go.

Bob,

=============================================================

I used a heat gun to dry out the cell phone that SWMBO dropped in the toilet (post-flush, sorta clean water) at school one day. Worked fine once it was dried out.

U-Bob;

Your Fuji wasn't a Fuji FinePix A205 was it?

Got one. For you, I'd let it go really cheap -- but I won't pay much more than shipping to get rid of it. ;^)'

Still have my 'film' Canon A1 from high school....My Canon EOS T2 digital camera runs circles around it....there are some modern changes that I embrace 100%...this is one of 'em.

Sorry about your camera.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Still have my 'film' Canon A1 from high school....My Canon EOS T2 digital camera runs circles around it....there are some modern changes that I embrace 100%...this is one of 'em.

Sorry about your camera.

Funny, I have a Pentax K-1000 fully manual film camera that I have had for a very long time. My wife got me a small Canon digital camera before I deployed. While the film camera produces superior images, especially when enlarged, the digital is the one I take anywhere with me. The Pentax hasn't been out of its bag for a couple of years now.

UB... Good luck on the camera hunt. The choices can be daunting.

Please lets not talk about the cameras we dont use anymore because of the new digital equipment weve bought, it makes me feel guilty. As much as I enjoyed spending countless hours in a darkroom getting a black and white or color print just exactly right the tools included with most photo programs sure does make life easier.

At some point my own "digital darkroom" will be completed with a large format printer that will do 11x14 or 16x20 prints which will take full advantage of multi mega pixel cameras in the inventory. Till then 8.5x11 will have to do.

So what did you wind up buying Bob?

Please lets not talk about the cameras we dont use anymore because of the new digital equipment weve bought, it makes me feel guilty. As much as I enjoyed spending countless hours in a darkroom getting a black and white or color print just exactly right the tools included with most photo programs sure does make life easier.

At some point my own "digital darkroom" will be completed with a large format printer that will do 11x14 or 16x20 prints which will take full advantage of multi mega pixel cameras in the inventory. Till then 8.5x11 will have to do.

So what did you wind up buying Bob?

Ditto on the digital revolution, although it does seem to take a bit of the creative artistry out of things. But that's probably just perception.

I probably won't make a decision till the end of the month.

As I was making coffee this morning, I spotted a brilliant yellow Western Tanager perched on a red Hollyhock just outside the kitchen window. "Wow", I said. "I need a pic of that!" Now I am depressed. :angry:

Ditto on the digital revolution, although it does seem to take a bit of the creative artistry out of things. But that's probably just perception.

I probably won't make a decision till the end of the month.

As I was making coffee this morning, I spotted a brilliant yellow Western Tanager perched on a red Hollyhock just outside the kitchen window. "Wow", I said. "I need a pic of that!" Now I am depressed. :angry:

Wouldn't be so sure UB - the programs that they have to manipulate/design photos are amazing...almost infinite in what the mind wants to do.

U-Bob;

Your Fuji wasn't a Fuji FinePix A205 was it?

Got one. For you, I'd let it go really cheap -- but I won't pay much more than shipping to get rid of it. ;^)'

It was an S700.

OUCH! That is a lot of pennies, Amigo!

WOW! Indeed! and I thought the Leica Binoc's were expensive - keep that one away from water!! :lol:

That sapphire crystal LCD would be awesome - invredible scratch resistance! I have a Tag Heuer I bought in '97 and though the body of the watch has nicks and scratches the crystal face is 100% scratch free!

UB, I just had to replace my "point and shoot" camera recently and had a hard time choosing between a bunch of Canon's, Nikon's and Fuji's. I finally decided on a Nikon CoolPix S6100. It has a touch screen, 7X zoom,16 megapixels and can take HD video as well. Oh, yeah, it was on sale at Wally World for $129.00!

Now, if only I was as smart as the camera, I might be able to do something with it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't be so sure UB - the programs that they have to manipulate/design photos are amazing...almost infinite in what the mind wants to do.

Gunner, I agree with you. However, I have to add that as good as these programs are, if you've totally hosed the shot in the first place, there's only so much you'll be able to do to rescue it. Of course that's when you put a bunch of funky filters on it and call it "fine art." :lol: Still, the art of photography wasn't killed by the digital camera...though the surprise of finding out how many shots you've screwed up has been lessened since you can review things immediately.

Cheers,

Butcher B.

As I said...probably just my perception.

I just seem to me a lot more conscious of light and shadow when using a film camera.

I still have the Ricoh SLR I had in Vietnam. Maybe I'll have it bronzed. :lol:

Archived