SASS Wire Forum

SASS IS NOT A CLUB

SASS is a business, an umbrella organization providing exclusive contracted services to subordinate shooting clubs.

Though we are called "members", the term is as meaningless as Walmart calling their employees "associates", or other outfits calling theirs "partners".

SASS is a BUSINESS wholly owned and operated by the Wild Bunch, and the CC is their MAGAZINE to do with as they see fit.

When he used to do his "live" show, chef Emeril Legasse faced a heckler one night when he repeated his "pork fat rules" refrain. He snapped, through a grin more angry than a smile "Hey, ya don't like it, get yer own cooking show."

He understands the difference between "membership" and being a "consumer" of a business' services.....

Folks who use "MY" or "mine" to describe anything belonging to SASS had better check their WILD BUNCH membership. Ain't got one? Well then......

A.J.

Are ya sayin' I ain't a member of SASS? :mellow:

Dang.. sure thought I was a member :wacko:

I get your drift on where yer comin' from...

I don't care for the Chuckwagon (Chuck for Buck) or whatever it is.. I just turn the page.. don't read it.. :mellow:

I didn't get a chance to respond to the off the wall post before it got locked up..

But I was agreein' :) with all the responders to the original post...

That feller kinda opened a can of worms... :blink:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I was a member of SASS...

I am ain't I? :mellow:

Sure thought I was :lol:

A.J.

Are ya sayin' I ain't a member of SASS? :mellow:

Dang.. sure thought I was a member :wacko:

I get your drift on where yer comin' from...

I don't care for the Chuckwagon (Chuck for Buck) or whatever it is.. I just turn the page.. don't read it.. :mellow:

I didn't get a chance to respond to the off the wall post before it got locked up..

But I was agreein' :) with all the responders to the original post...

That feller kinda opened a can of worms... :blink:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I was a member of SASS...

I am ain't I? :mellow:

Sure thought I was :lol:

Rance,

Yer a member, so am I. We just aren't co-owners in a member owned association that elects its governing representatives. That was clearly misunderstood in the earlier locked post.

We are members of a competition and social group who uses a privately owned sanctioning body, SASS, to set our rules and provide a common framework we play in across the world.

Our WB owners have allowed a certain amount of "representative government" through the TGs and summit, but they still own it and operate it. We choose to join and play, and some work to influence the ownership, but it is theirs (WB) to run, and ours to chose to play or not.

I chose to play, compete (ok, ok, try to get above the middle :P ) and socialize with like minded folks - YEEE HAAWW!! :lol:

Cheers,

Harvey

Why would you even post something like this? You must really be bored to death or you just wanted to ruffle some feathers. Excuse me I hafta go renew my "MEMBERSHIP" to SASS.

Rye

A loyal SASS MEMBER since 1997

Every time folks get riled about "MY" outfit not representing "MY" views, I am reminded I am no more a "member" in any true voting capacity than I would be if I bought a membership to Sam's Club.

What I get is the right to use their rules to shoot at their events, and in many instances reduced prices to shoot at affiliated events run by affiliated clubs.

I get a set of rules handed down from the WB with their consent to the ADVISORY capacity allowed the TGs to adjust those rules. The WB sets the TG agenda, allowing potential changes they pre-approve, TGs are allowed to choose ACCEPTABLE choices already thought through by the WB. By controlling the TG summit agenda, the WB truly do control potential rule changes, limiting them to WB-acceptable choices.

(I used to do this with my kids. I never asked "what would you like for lunch?" because they might answer "bubble gum". I asked, "would you like baloney or tuna?" Both acceptable choices TO ME.).

I do NOT get a vote as to how the show gets run per se.

It's their show, and by gumbo the WB have done a bang up job bringing it this far. "membership" is only a word, we're consumers.

Not a knock against SASS or the WB, I repeat, they have done a bang up job, but there is a bit of confusion sometimes as to what being a SASS member really means.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

That reminds me SASSy Shawna's membership is due.

I best send a check and her new address. :lol::lol:

Mustang Gregg, Life

TG for 2 clubs

I used to race AA/FA many years ago. The sanctioning body was NHRA. I was a member...

No different.

What's the big deal?

Gold Canyon Kid said that other thread would be closed in an hour.

It was actually one hour and 33 minutes after his post.

I guess next time we should start a pot and see who wins!! :lol:

missed the original post bet it must have been a good S@#t stirer. i think a lot of this crap is fun to read. the wb is a great supporter of gun safety and ownership.without sass i would be able to enjoy the vast knowledge out there about the diferent weapons that was used .

..and it really matters? Of course it's a Club!

Does it affect how you play the game or your enjoyment of the sport? If you regret that you woke up and realized you aren't a 'member', just resign or don't play anymore.

I think most of us Adults, and i use the term lightly,, understand SASS owns a privately owned Sub S Coproporation of which membership does not make you a shareholder.But i don't think it really matters to anyone but you.In fact, it is so insignificant as to matter to probably nobody but you.Get over it.I'm in for life.I've owned enough businesses and corporations in my life.I am thrilled not to be an owner of SASS but just a member! Makes it a no brainer...you play the game, go home, return your regularly scheduled program.The next weekend, you get to play all over again and during the week you did nothing but get your guns and costumes together for the next play day(match).

No payroll to meet, no responsibility for making sure SASS is corporately viable and responsible to let you as a member enjoy the benefits.

Sounds about perfect to me.

I think you said it all in your original post...........

When he used to do his "live" show, chef Emeril Legasse faced a heckler one night when he repeated his "pork fat rules" refrain. He snapped, through a grin more angry than a smile "Hey, ya don't like it, get yer own cooking show."

Mink............

Can you imagine what a mess it would be if they did allow every "member" to actually have a say so as to how the game should be played?

The game wouldn't be around anymore.

I think comparing it to being a member of the Sam's Club or allowing your kids to decide what's for breakfast.... both right on.

As I'm sitting here thinking about how well this system actually has worked over the years.

I realized how surprised I am this thread has not become about rank points and how the "members" should be allowed to change it.

The bottom line is...

it's their game

they make the rules

and the fact that they let us have any input at all is up to them

If you, as a member, don't like the rules of their game then you don't have to play.

I, for one, am glad they don't change things everytime someone isn't happy with something.

If yer payin' dues, yer a member...

But there aren't any clubs or organizations anywhere that you could belong to that will please you 100 percent of the time, jus' not possible.....too many differences of opinion fer everybody to be happy with everything that a club, or organization does....

You can't please all the people all of the time....

Johnny

Yeah?...So what? X2 :rolleyes:

Been a long winter........

LG

I'm not complaining. I think SASS works because of the structure, not in spite of it. I just think some folks get confused because they think they get to call the tune because they paid few bucks to play. I used to be a PBA "member" when I bowled, but I didn't get to call the tune (ya don't see 196 as perfect game do ya?), and I never expected ME having a "membership card" meant I got to tell em how to run things...... That's the ONLY point. If the WB wants to run full page ads in the CC for the Communist Party, they can do that, because it's their "cooking show"....

If this is all about the use of the word "member" perhaps we should all look at the dictionary.

Here is an online dictionary reference look at definition #5.

(Female members might not want to.)

Definition of member

I enjoy Col. Dan's articles whether I agree with them or not is my choice. This was the whole point of the original deleted thread.

DAS

... understand SASS owns a privately owned Sub S Coproporation of which membership does not make you a shareholder
Shorty mentions SASS is a Sub Chapter S Corporation for IRS reporting purposes. Here's a summary overview of such a corporate structure

http://www.bizfilings.com/learn/s-corporation-vs-c-corporation.aspx

I don't care how SASS is according to business or IRS standards - to me it's great friends who like shooting, having FUN, and love the allure of the old west in either a fiction or non-fiction sense. A 'society' of characters no doubt :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A.J.

I like the Chuckwagon articles. Those and Larsen's posts are the ones that I save.

I like the Chuckwagon articles. Those and Larsen's posts are the ones that I save.

Giggle,

I never read Larson's articles, I have a "gun boy" for that stuff. That said, I think they are good choices for publication in the Chronicle. Ditto Tuolumne Lawman's articles.

That said, I really like Larson as a person! He is just plain fun to be around! His puppy not so much. ;)

BTW, everyone should shoot with Tuolumne sometime. He is always two things, last :unsure: and good natured! :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

I don't care how SASS is according to business or IRS standards - to me it's great friends who like shooting, having FUN, and love the allure of the old west in either a fiction or non-fiction sense. A 'society' of characters no doubt :lol:

Ditto

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I'm a member and Character :) havin' fun..

Guess I also belong to a society now too... :wacko:

Shorty mentions SASS is a Sub Chapter S Corporation for IRS reporting purposes. Here's a summary overview of such a corporate structure

http://www.bizfiling...orporation.aspx

JB

From my past business/corporate career in Business, I am Assuming they have Sub S status.Sub S was created for non publicly held corporations that have a limited number of shareholders and yes, there are distinct tax breaks over a Tax paying C Corporation.

The Sub S rules used to be way more limiting than they are now, as in 1986 The IRS modified the Sub S rules in such areas as retained earnings, and tax liability on the part of the shareholders who pay the corporate tax which is what really distinguishes it from a C Corp, plus allowed more shareholders than before 1986.

I know because i started and owned 2 Sub S corporations and 1 C Corp in my business career.The C Corp was how i incorporated

The 3 banks i started in Houston in 1982 and was not suited to Sub S status whereas being a Tax Paying C Corp suited the needs of my growing banks much better.I sold the banks in 1996.My little Gun Business by comparison is an LLC, which is the lowest of corporate

entities and a step above Sole Proprietorship and is considered for tax purposes to be a corporate 'nonentity'.

Maybe SASS is a C Corp, but i would bet they are a Sub S.

Shorty, factually able to identify whether SASS is a C or S is not determinable. What SASS is not, is any of the 501©'s. Only the Museum and Scholarship funds are 503©3). Here's how SASS is registered in CA ...

Entity Name: SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY, INC.

Entity Number: C2005787

Date Filed: 03/28/1997

Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA

Entity Address: 215 COWBOY WAY

Entity City, State, Zip: EDGEWOOD NM 87015

Agent for Service of Process: BOYD DAVIS

Agent Address: 13331 DORSEY CIR

Agent City, State, Zip: WESTMINSTER CA 92683

If it's a club...where's tha dang clubhouse?> :lol:

If it's a club...where's tha dang clubhouse?> :lol:

Right here at my house. I got booze and snacks and loads of cowboy movies, everyone's invited but PLEASE knock first I've got loaded guns all over the place!:lol:

Rye

Right here at my house. I got booze and snacks and loads of cowboy movies, everyone's invited but PLEASE knock first I've got loaded guns all over the place!:lol:

Rye

:D

Well, I've had a lot of fun over the years, whatever you want to call it. I'm thankful the Wild Bunch came up with the idea. Not sure I understand the reason for the OP.

Archived